Kiffin's future... (Going to FAU, Staying Through CFP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Any word on Kiffin's interview with UH?

He missed the team banquet; I assume because he was still down there. I don't know what that means...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

He missed the team banquet; I assume because he was still down there. I don't know what that means...
I thought his interview was yesterday, and he did say in one of his interview after the game Saturday that he expected to go to Staff call meeting on Sunday Morning, so I'm thinking his interview was in afternoon so that would've made sense if he missed the banquet. Coaches are on the road recruiting and it's possible Kiffin isn't doing that, so chose to use a free day to go see his family.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I thought his interview was yesterday, and he did say in one of his interview after the game Saturday that he expected to go to Staff call meeting on Sunday Morning, so I'm thinking his interview was in afternoon so that would've made sense if he missed the banquet. Coaches are on the road recruiting and it's possible Kiffin isn't doing that, so chose to use a free day to go see his family.
Good observation. I doubt seriously he's recruiting. In fact, when he wasn't assigned to Tua originally, that raised my eyebrows a bit...

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

I thought his interview was yesterday, and he did say in one of his interview after the game Saturday that he expected to go to Staff call meeting on Sunday Morning, so I'm thinking his interview was in afternoon so that would've made sense if he missed the banquet.
I would assume he'd have missed the banquet, regardless of the outcome/duration of the interview. Just wondering if any of our spies have some late breaking intel . . .

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Good observation. I doubt seriously he's recruiting. In fact, when he wasn't assigned to Tua originally, that raised my eyebrows a bit...
I don't think he's recruiting anyone, but mostly a back up at this point. I think Saban knew that with Kiffin leaving, he didn't want the same issues he had with Kirby on recruits.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

The hiring of Sark earlier in the season indicated (to me at least) that Saban's plan was for Kiffin to move on after the season. He was hired BEFORE the tirade on the sidelines (one week matter of fact) that Fineslime points to as the "marriage is over moment". The incident that has led to these reports of Kiffin moving on.

The Sark hiring is simply too hard for me to ignore and not link to Saban knowing and planning on Kiffin moving on at the end of season.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I don't think he's recruiting anyone, but mostly a back up at this point. I think Saban knew that with Kiffin leaving, he didn't want the same issues he had with Kirby on recruits.
It wouldn't make sense for him to be doing any now. In fact, he was pulled off before this season when he was terminated. When he got his one year reprieve, I don't know to what degree he became reinvolved. I know he's continued to tweet and text with recruits. I just don't know to what degree he's been hands-on. If I can find out, I'll put it in this thread...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I don't have a problem with the perimeter stuff being used early to wear out the defense later in the game.

My issue is Bo having 3 huge runs to get us to the 8 yard line, then 3 incomplete passes and settling for a FG.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I didn't want to start a new thread, but Kiffin explained why he calls plays differently from 2nd half: When he explains it, it makes sense.
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...nick_saban_also_wants.html#incart_2box_sports
I understand the method, but, at the same time, if you go into the locker room at halftime beating your opponent 35-0, you crush their spirit, and make them realize the hopelessness of their situation, and the second half is a lot easier.
Against Florida in the first half, Bama ran 8 times for 8.5 yards per rush. Feed the beast (DH/JJ/BS) in the first half and you make Florida realize before halftime that their cause is hopeless and they had better save their bodies for the bowl game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I understand the method, but, at the same time, if you go into the locker room at halftime beating your opponent 35-0, you crush their spirit, and make them realize the hopelessness of their situation, and the second half is a lot easier.
Against Florida in the first half, Bama ran 8 times for 8.5 yards per rush. Feed the beast (DH/JJ/BS) in the first half and you make Florida realize before halftime that their cause is hopeless and they had better save their bodies for the bowl game.
We do that in 2nd half, we most likely would struggle to move the chain. The DL are very good. 3rd quarter, the DL was tired and We made it work.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I don't have a problem with the perimeter stuff being used early to wear out the defense later in the game.

My issue is Bo having 3 huge runs to get us to the 8 yard line, then 3 incomplete passes and settling for a FG.
I don't have a problem with it as long as the other team isn't putting points on the board while we're sacrificing possessions in the first half to "set them up" for plays in the second half. We may not have that luxury in the playoffs. I get the thought process behind what Kiffin/Saban are doing. But I have felt it's gotten out of balance. I'm all for setting future plays up with current plays. But there has to be a balance in thought of "We're still trying everything we can to score now." I feel we've gotten away from the latter in the second half of the season.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I don't have a problem with it as long as the other team isn't putting points on the board while we're sacrificing possessions in the first half to "set them up" for plays in the second half. We may not have that luxury in the playoffs. I get the thought process behind what Kiffin/Saban are doing. But I have felt it's gotten out of balance. I'm all for setting future plays up with current plays. But there has to be a balance in thought of "We're still trying everything we can to score now." I feel we've gotten away from the latter in the second half of the season.
You brought up an interesting point. Now when I think about it little more, I wonder If they did that all season long, thinking that in the playoff, we'll change some things up to where Opponents isn't expecting it. For example on 3rd and goals, they might be expecting Hurts to roll out to right and look for Stewart or Dieter on that play... We've done that all season, but in playoff it could be a same play but hand the ball to Bo... Remember Clemson game last year? I would imagine that Kiffin has to explain what he was doing this year at UH yesterday and why it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.