Kiffin's future... (Going to FAU, Staying Through CFP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Re: Any word on Kiffin's interview with UH?

What will be interesting is , not that Kiffin can coach. Can he keep his mouth shut long enough not to get fired to where ever he goes. You can burn me on a fire, but I for one will not miss him one bit.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I have no real info. I just think if he was going to be gone that he already would be gone. It's nothing but a hunch, and I've said all along, I'm ready and willing to eat the crow.
He's already said that he's staying through the next two games, no matter what he does, so I wouldn't hang my hat on that. I have mixed feelings about that because I'm not sure Kirby's staying on last year after accepting the UGA job really helped that much...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

What will be interesting is , not that Kiffin can coach. Can he keep his mouth shut long enough not to get fired to where ever he goes. You can burn me on a fire, but I for one will not miss him one bit.....
This is pretty much the way I feel at this point. I think he's done wonders with our offense and he's sometimes dragged Saban kicking and screaming (literally) into a different era. However, the baggage continues to mount. At some point, I fear it will explode into something like a Petrino episode. (It's come damned close). I'd prefer that happen on someone else's watch and turf...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

The hiring of Sark earlier in the season indicated (to me at least) that Saban's plan was for Kiffin to move on after the season. He was hired BEFORE the tirade on the sidelines (one week matter of fact) that Fineslime points to as the "marriage is over moment". The incident that has led to these reports of Kiffin moving on.

The Sark hiring is simply too hard for me to ignore and not link to Saban knowing and planning on Kiffin moving on at the end of season.
I saw the Sark hiring as INSURANCE.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Seems to me Coach Saban came to us without a Buyout clause.
Memory is bad. Is that the way it was, or am I suffering from a lapse during the euphoria of CNS arrival in Tuscaloosa? Kind of a moot point these days. I can understand Huston wanting a little coaching security... BUT... I also understand Lane Kiffin wanting his options open in case someone makes him an offer he can't refuse.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Seems to me Coach Saban came to us without a Buyout clause.
Memory is bad. Is that the way it was, or am I suffering from a lapse during the euphoria of CNS arrival in Tuscaloosa? Kind of a moot point these days. I can understand Huston wanting a little coaching security... BUT... I also understand Lane Kiffin wanting his options open in case someone makes him an offer he can't refuse.
Saban's never had a buyout clause. I understand Houston's angst, but it can't be solved by contract clauses. They'll take him without it, IMO...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I fully understand Houston's position and would tell Sexton to take it or leave it; we will move on with our next choice. I've grown tired of all of this "is he going or is he staying".

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I also believe that he is staying through the playoff, but that comes with no real knowledge - just having heard what he said. So, for me, it is just a guess.
I think if he gets the HC job at another school he stays during the playoffs...if he takes the OC at LSU, he's gone.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012

I think the only reason UH is talking to CLM is they are tired of being the stepping stone. While part of that is their place in the FBS world, they have also brought it on themselves. They have developed the habit of chasing the current hot shot young OC, so it's no surprise their coaches are successful, then move on to a bigger school. They must believe CLM will view this as his last HC job, not a path to another job. However, I don't see him fitting in there due to his philosophy on offense. Advantage CLK.

It does not surprise me CLK wants to stay until the end of the playoffs. The most important thing on a coach's resume is wins, and there is no better win than a national championship.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

I too hope Lane gets the job. I don't want him going to LSU but don't mind him getting a head coaching job outside the SEC. I just hope he doesn't try to take any of our assistants with him!
Maybe he will try and hire Orgeron...:cool2:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

I fully understand Houston's position and would tell Sexton to take it or leave it; we will move on with our next choice. I've grown tired of all of this "is he going or is he staying".
From what I understand there is no "Is he going or is he staying" but only "Where is he going WHEN he leaves?" That's my current understanding of the situation.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I think the only reason UH is talking to CLM is they are tired of being the stepping stone. While part of that is their place in the FBS world, they have also brought it on themselves. They have developed the habit of chasing the current hot shot young OC, so it's no surprise their coaches are successful, then move on to a bigger school. They must believe CLM will view this as his last HC job, not a path to another job. However, I don't see him fitting in there due to his philosophy on offense. Advantage CLK.

It does not surprise me CLK wants to stay until the end of the playoffs. The most important thing on a coach's resume is wins, and there is no better win than a national championship.
If they think les miles is a long term solution they are crazy.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

I will admit Lane is a very good OC. I did read we have run for a record number of yards this year. It's also the 1st time we have had a QB that has the wheels to do so along with a game plan to use them.
I also used to scream at Stallings to throw the ball. :)

It's what fans do. If we try 3 runs inside the 10 and do not score I say, should have thrown the dang ball.

With that said I find it hard to take when I see we are 128 out of 128 at scoring a touchdown inside the red zone.:frown:

The experience Jalen has and is getting is invaluable. I'm glad Lane is as creative as he is. Looking around the country there seems to be other very good OC's at this time in college football. It's always about the players and execution as much as the play caller. You need both. IMHO

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN

We don't need to read the book, we've seen the movie. We fully understand running plays to set up others later. Every good coach in America does that. Running jet sweeps and the like that gain little when you have 3 backs who would start for 90% of all D1 teams and a line like Alabama has is pure stupidity.
I have no idea if anyone's posted it yet so I'll ask. Has anyone posted that this current Alabama football team has rushed for more yards than any Ba
ma team since Saban has arrived at the Capstone?
I'm just wondering.
I get a little frustrated with the play-calling sometimes during the games too. When that happens, I try to remind myself that we have one of the best offensive minds in the game calling plays. He is probably better at it than I am and probably knows something about what is going on between the lines at that time that maybe I am not able to recognize. Just maybe.

Also, he works for a guy who is an extremely shrewd businessman and a fantastic football coach on a historic level who won't think twice before correcting his assistant if he ain't doing' it right!

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

Houston is a springboard job. Lane Kiffin will just bail on them the second a big time program opens up for him. I'm not so sure how serious we can take these rumors.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

We don't need to read the book, we've seen the movie. We fully understand running plays to set up others later. Every good coach in America does that. Running jet sweeps and the like that gain little when you have 3 backs who would start for 90% of all D1 teams and a line like Alabama has is pure stupidity.
I want to go back on this a little. I forgot to respond to that. Let's just say, The book sometime is better than movie and you know that. For example, Harry Potter: which is better, the book or the movie?

I do know that we have 3, 4 or 5 capable running backs that can get the job done. I get what you are saying and I'm not arguing with that, but If you had read the link, Kiffin explains the offense more in depth, little better than Saban did and it does make sense when you look at it from Kiffin's perspective. When you go North and South often early in the game, it wears the opposing defense out because often, the opposing team doesn't have the depth to battle that. There have been times where Kiffin got little cute with offense and I was screaming, " Run the ball Kiffin!" With Jalen's limitation of reading the field, we have to get creative with the offense to loose up the game in 2nd half to make it easier on Hurts and the team.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Houston is a springboard job. Lane Kiffin will just bail on them the second a big time program opens up for him. I'm not so sure how serious we can take these rumors.
What rumors are you talking about? And I do agree that he probably will leave after 2 or 3 years... which is reasonable given that Houston isn't part of Power 5 conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.