Koolaid? Who's this kid?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Plano, TX
I mainly use Twitter to follow Bama football and other sports, but last night there were several tweets about a guy who goes by the nickname "Koolaid."

I tried to do a forum search about him but didn't get a hit. From the tweets it looks like he's a 2 sport star in basketball and football.

So for those in the know, what's the scoop on this kid and where does Bama stand with him?

The Ols

All-American
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I mainly use Twitter to follow Bama football and other sports, but last night there were several tweets about a guy who goes by the nickname "Koolaid."

I tried to do a forum search about him but didn't get a hit. From the tweets it looks like he's a 2 sport star in basketball and football.

So for those in the know, what's the scoop on this kid and where does Bama stand with him?
[/QUOTE]

I think he ripped it from Marlon "Fruit Punch" Humphrey...

Reactions: BamaMoon

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Plano, TX
The player that you are referring to is
Ga'Quincy McKinstry
Here is a link on him.
Thanks for that! 5 star recruit in football that can play defensive back or receiver...but I assume he projects as a cornerback in football.

I also see why there is lots of interests from Auburn fans about his hoop skills. Don't know if CNO is looking at him as a potential 2 sport star or not, but assuming Auburn is.

When's the last time we had a legit two sport football/basketball player??? I can't remember.

gymcoach

Bamanation Citizen
Dec 6, 2006
Thanks for that! 5 star recruit in football that can play defensive back or receiver...but I assume he projects as a cornerback in football.

I also see why there is lots of interests from Auburn fans about his hoop skills. Don't know if CNO is looking at him as a potential 2 sport star or not, but assuming Auburn is.

When's the last time we had a legit two sport football/basketball player??? I can't remember.
There was an article that implied that he wanted to play both sports in college and all of his top schools were going to allow him to do so. That included Alabama so I am assuming CNO does have interest in him.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
There was an article that implied that he wanted to play both sports in college and all of his top schools were going to allow him to do so. That included Alabama so I am assuming CNO does have interest in him.
I believe I read where CNO has met with him and is good with it. He would be on a football scholarship so it would not count toward the total basketball scholarships of 13. He would be a quality "walk-on".

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Plano, TX
I believe I read where CNO has met with him and is good with it. He would be on a football scholarship so it would not count toward the total basketball scholarships of 13. He would be a quality "walk-on".
Right, I think that's how it works today.

I seem to recall how Coach Bryant maybe pulled that off back in the day and some NCAA rules got changed/modified to keep that from happening.

gymcoach

Bamanation Citizen
Dec 6, 2006
I believe you are right too. Bryant used to use basketball scholarships for football players and the NCAA put a stop to being able to do that. It seems a lot of rules are changed because of the Two GOATs, Bryant and Saban.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I believe you are right too. Bryant used to use basketball scholarships for football players and the NCAA put a stop to being able to do that. It seems a lot of rules are changed because of the Two GOATs, Bryant and Saban.
I recall my dad talking about that, but for the most part coach Bryant I think probably used golf, swimming etcetera scholarships not basketball. At least that is what I gathered from his stories. I do know coach Bryant supported the basketball team at Bama and coach Newton had some great teams back then! Seen some great games at Coleman Coliseum between Bama and Tennessee, Bernard King, Ernie Grunfeld from Tennessee, Reggie King, T.R. Dunn, Anthony Murray for Bama!!

Didn't enjoy the outcome of the game but still!! Bama was a very formidable opponent in Basketball back then. ;)

Reactions: FitToBeTide

Latest threads

TideFansStore.com