Kyle Rittenhouse a hero? Part 2

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've stayed completely out of both these threads because I like folks on, well, all sides of this, but I am going to pause enough to post this post-trial.

If I were the person advising the Rittenhouse family on how to go on, here's what you do:
1) change your name
2) move far away from Kenosha
3) keep a very low profile

That's all I have to say about it.

If he's doing anything other than that (or the family), he's doing the wrong thing.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've stayed completely out of both these threads because I like folks on, well, all sides of this, but I am going to pause enough to post this post-trial.

If I were the person advising the Rittenhouse family on how to go on, here's what you do:
1) change your name
2) move far away from Kenosha
3) keep a very low profile

That's all I have to say about it.

If he's doing anything other than that (or the family), he's doing the wrong thing.
I'd probably sue a few of the media outlets first, but yeah - after that, I'm gone.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
That pretty explicitly references their criminal records. It's a mindset that justifies violence on someone who "deserved it". We saw people try to wash away George Floyd's murder because of his criminal record. THAT is the mindset that needs to change.
I am more interested in the relevant facts surrounding what actually happened. Those celebrating these prizewinners slain in the act of behaving like human garbage are supremely uninterested in facts that do not fit their narrative.

• Facepalm
Reactions: Toddrn and B1GTide

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I am more interested in the relevant facts surrounding what actually happened. Those celebrating these prizewinners slain in the act of behaving like human garbage are supremely uninterested in facts that do not fit their narrative.
The human garbage are those who run around killing people for no good reason.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
and yet you keep referencing their pasts...
I said one thing that got twisted and became a subtopic. I'm not sure how many times I have to reiterate that their past is irrelevant to self defense, but as long as my meaning continues to be misconstrued or ignored, I might continue to reference things that you think are "their pasts"

Self defense is a good reason.
Rioters attacking people for interfering with their rioting make a strong claim to the label.

Reactions: Moro Creek

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I said one thing that got twisted and became a subtopic. I'm not sure how many times I have to reiterate that their past is irrelevant to self defense, but as long as my meaning continues to be misconstrued or ignored, I might continue to reference things that you think are "their pasts"

Self defense is a good reason.
Rioters attacking people for interfering with their rioting make a strong claim to the label.
George Floyd?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
1. The quote I was responding to was

That pretty explicitly references their criminal records. It's a mindset that justifies violence on someone who "deserved it". We saw people try to wash away George Floyd's murder because of his criminal record. THAT is the mindset that needs to change.

2. I haven't really discussed the Rittenhouse verdict or the law; others with more knowledge than I have already weighed in. I don't really plan to do so here, other than to say this: Rittenhouse was acquitted; that doesn't mean that what he did was OK, any more than it made the actions of George Zimmerman OK. Both were stupid and irresponsible; both were acquitted because the victims were also stupid and irresponsible.
Michael Brown would be a better example. If you have a point to make about Floyd, I am listening.
The point was brought up earlier by JT.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's a bit more nuanced than that tweet makes it appear. I only know as I've been following this case after seeing a documentary on it a while back.

Kizer appealed the trial court’s decision, and the appellate court found in her favor.

(snip)

Kizer’s case is the first time any court has considered whether trafficking victims may raise their victimization as an affirmative defense to charges for homicide or other violent crimes.
How insane is it that this is the first time???

Reactions: seebell and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's a bit more nuanced than that tweet makes it appear. I only know as I've been following this case after seeing a documentary on it a while back.

How insane is it that this is the first time???
imo, the fact that it is the first time shows how screwed up some of our laws about self defense are.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think all of us posting here generally like each other while sometimes not liking a particular point of view somebody might have.
Chukker,

That's true, and in all honesty, I think if we removed the computer screens and were all sitting together chatting and could observe body language to response, the temperature would (most likely) be lower and the form of disagreement would be a little more along the lines of "I'm sorry I don't see it that way" rather than the undercurrent of "my what an evil snot you are" that comes out from ALL of us at least from time to time. Again - I think this is the veribage of the computer, NOT the real intent of the fine posters here on the NS board. Sometimes we read things that are more provocative than the poster intended and sometimes that escalates (I wish I could say "a pox on all your houses" and pretend I'm holy and righteous, but I'm not).

I have my own views on this particular subject and others, but I also find myself more and more on an island with things as I get older and spend more time evaluating the ARGUMENT PRESENTED rather than the POSITION DEFENDED.

I can tell you and I disagree on a lot, but we agree on a lot more important stuff like the essence of democracy and, yes, it has its problems but it's better than any currently known alternative, too.

Plus, I know my own personal fatigue here; PERSONAL interactions are setting me off quicker than ever before, probably due to fatigue. I've transformed from "that easy supervisor to talk to" to the "don't tick that guy off, he's liable to shoot up the place," which is absurd, but I also can't say I'm a total innocent.

At this point I've rambled and will return to the Football board and one of the two subjects the great 92tide and I actually agree upon, the perpetual mediocrity and wannabe Alabama desires of Jawja.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think all of us posting here generally like each other while sometimes not liking a particular point of view somebody might have.
It is a sign of a healthy mind that a person can disagree with another, even very strongly, and still respect and like that person. There are a great many healthy minds posting on this board.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Reactions: NationalTitles18

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.