Lamar Jackson’s contract

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
How many elite athletes (NFL) have been their own agents? I don’t follow much NFL, but I read headline stories now and then.
From what I read, he wants a “fully guaranteed “ contract like Watson’s. I think DW’s contract was a desperation move by Cleveland that I hope (for several reasons) blows up in their face.
Jackson has been hurt a good bit the last couple of years; why would any team want to give him a fully guaranteed contact for a quarter of a billion dollars? I think having an agent would help him tremendously because the few times I’ve heard him speak, he reminded me of Brent Fulwood. Does that shortcoming help him in contract negotiations?
I don’t blame the owners one bit if they collude not to give him the fully guaranteed contract he’s looking for; Mahomes would be about the only active QB maybe worth one because he’s won it all, and if you’re giving away that kind of money there should be some reasonable expectation of winning it all. LJ hasn’t stayed healthy enough to prove that.
There’s a reason I’m not a big fan of the NFL, and after this post I don’t think anyone wonders why.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
TJ watt acted as his own agent for his last contract negotiations. But it was mostly because his agent was asking for the moon and TJ wanted to stay with the Steelers.

As for Lamar, asking for a fully guaranteed contract isn’t that crazy in his situation. The whole offense is built around him to the point that no one else can run it, and this contract could be his last. Asking for a fully guaranteed makes sense even with an agent present.

The owners are not colluding against him, he is still under contract stipulations that allow him to be tagged. If the Ravens want to trade him then there would be a buyer that would most likely pay him in full. But the Ravens want him so there is that.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It is starting to look like Jackson is going to sit out the year. Teams are right to pass on him, he doesn't care about team and only cares about himself.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Lamar turned down a 3 yr/$133 million guaranteed contract from the Ravens. I personally think he is going to look back and realize that was his best offer. Much like Carlos Correa did with the Twins, turning down a $280 million deal only to ultimately end up back with the Twins accepting a $200 million dollar deal. He came out sick rich either way, but by the numbers, he lost $80 million by not accepting his original offer. I think Lamar is going to realize that as well.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It is starting to look like Jackson is going to sit out the year. Teams are right to pass on him, he doesn't care about team and only cares about himself.
I wish there was some kind of penalty for doing it because Leveon did it and it hurt the team far more than it hurt him.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Lamar turned down a 3 yr/$133 million guaranteed contract from the Ravens. I personally think he is going to look back and realize that was his best offer. Much like Carlos Correa did with the Twins, turning down a $280 million deal only to ultimately end up back with the Twins accepting a $200 million dollar deal. He came out sick rich either way, but by the numbers, he lost $80 million by not accepting his original offer. I think Lamar is going to realize that as well.
The problem is that some idiot franchise is going to jump on the Lamar train and overpay for him next year. Most are going to forget how much Lamar actually costs the Ravens in the season.

Reactions: Bamaro and B1GTide

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Lamar wants a contract better than Watson's. Watson was not worth what he got. Jackson isn't either. He's over reaching. Jackson was guaranteed 133 million already. Let that sink in for awhile. Whatever additional money he receives wont make a dimes worth of difference in his life. He's an exciting QB to watch but so far he has failed to deliver results.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Lamar isn't getting the "Watson" guaranteed money, period. He's not getting it from the Ravens or any other NFL team. The Browns are the only NFL organization (outside of the Raiders) that would make such a stupid business decision. But, to be fair, with the current GM of the Raiders coming from the Patriots organization, I KNOW he wouldn't be stupid enough to do it. Hence, the reason the Raiders didn't do it.

Reportedly the Ravens offered him a 3-year deal with guaranteed money in excess of 130 million dollars. That type of money would make him sick-rich for longer than he would live. Yet he's not being treated "fair". What world are we living in? LOL!

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Insider reveals details on Ravens' pulled offer to Lamar Jackson
Long reported to have offered Jackson $133M fully guaranteed, the Ravens proposed the former MVP a deal with $175M in total guarantees. The $42M injury guarantee would have shifted to a full guarantee early over the course of the contract, Albert Breer of SI.com reports. An additional $25M — present in the fourth year of the contract — would have become guaranteed in Year 3 of the deal, Breer adds. Overall, that 2022 offer topped $290M over six years. The $175M in total guarantees would have topped Russell Wilson ($165M) for second in the league.
Insider reveals details on Ravens' pulled offer to Lamar Jackson (msn.com)

• Wow
Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
The thing that is sad is people who are not familiar with the "business" side of life aka "the corporate world" think that those saying "Lamar needs an agent" is due to fear of agents losing their place in the professional athlete contract world. But that couldn't be further from the truth. Lamar is losing money by the day and his not knowing how "business" and "negotiation" work is proving why agents are needed and this article all but proves it.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The new five-year contract between quarterback Jackson and the Ravens is valued at $260 million, making him the highest-paid player in the league, according to multiple reports.
According to the reports, the deal includes $185 million guaranteed.
I think the Ravens paid way too much but I guess we'll see next fall.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.