Landscaping project (phase 1) all but done - a gift to my wife

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I've mentioned little bit over the last several months about the landscaping project I have going on at the house. Well, the west side is all but done and the company that did the work released a video of the project a couple of days ago for their website. My wife loves to work in the garden and has been collecting plants for years. Now, we finally have a place to put them, as they will be integrated into the new plantings.

I started working with a designer about a year ago. After several revisions, I showed my wife the plans on her birthday this past Spring for her approval. I did good!

After the screened lanai was added earlier this year, we got on the schedule for the landscaping. The east side (phase 2) will be done next, but it will be more functional - lots of veggie beds and fruit trees.

Once the plants grow and fill in - the viburnum hedges reach the height of the arbors, the sandpaper plants grow over the top of the arbors, and the bougainvillea grow to the top of the trellises, I think it will look incredible. And, Lan is already adding her previously acquired plants to the project. Basically, wherever there is mulch, there will eventually be flowering plants. She will be happily busy for months.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I've mentioned little bit over the last several months about the landscaping project I have going on at the house. Well, the west side is all but done and the company that did the work released a video of the project a couple of days ago for their website. My wife loves to work in the garden and has been collecting plants for years. Now, we finally have a place to put them, as they will be integrated into the new plantings.

I started working with a designer about a year ago. After several revisions, I showed my wife the plans on her birthday this past Spring for her approval. I did good!

After the screened lanai was added earlier this year, we got on the schedule for the landscaping. The east side (phase 2) will be done next, but it will be more functional - lots of veggie beds and fruit trees.

Once the plants grow and fill in - the viburnum hedges reach the height of the arbors, the sandpaper plants grow over the top of the arbors, and the bougainvillea grow to the top of the trellises, I think it will look incredible. And, Lan is already adding her previously acquired plants to the project. Basically, wherever there is mulch, there will eventually be flowering plants. She will be happily busy for months.

Wow...that is wonderful. Thanks for sharing...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Congratulations and thanks for sharing. I will add commentary later when I have more time. ;)
Look forward to reading your suggestions on what to add. In addition to the plants she already has, Lan has been going to a couple local nurseries and receiving online orders every few days. We have some ideas for some other decorative features, although Lan keeps finding and removing the gnomes I try to hide in various places. She even banished to Godzilla figurine I put in the Japanese-themed space. She said it looked stupid. I mean, it's almost like she doesn't want my help. 🤷‍♂️ ;)

Reactions: seebell and Bazza

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
I love seeing this while also realizing just how far I have to go. Mrs. SC and I bought our current house 2 years ago and we're finally finishing up rebuilding our back deck and the porch underneath it while making them both about 80% larger. Naturally, we did it at the worst possible time for construction costs, but the old deck was on the verge of collapse so we had no choice. Hopefully other folks will post their great landscaping ideas i can "borrow" from! We have a lot of landscaping/hardscaping to go...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
I love seeing this while also realizing just how far I have to go. Mrs. SC and I bought our current house 2 years ago and we're finally finishing up rebuilding our back deck and the porch underneath it while making them both about 80% larger. Naturally, we did it at the worst possible time for construction costs, but the old deck was on the verge of collapse so we had no choice. Hopefully other folks will post their great landscaping ideas i can "borrow" from! We have a lot of landscaping/hardscaping to go...
For these types of "recreational" improvements to the house, my advice is to take your time and enjoy the process. ($1 to CNS.) Everything about it should be fun. My wife is in the process of gathering a couple of every type of flowering plant (or, at least, it seems that way) that can thrive in this climate. It will take her months to build out the landscaping, but she's loving it. And when most of the plants are removed from the lanai and put in the ground, I will then have room to install the grill, smoker, etc.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
The unusual freeze we had over the winter put a hurting on many of our new plantings. But, it appears few (if any) of the roots were killed, and we are starting to see new buds on most of the plants. The sandpaper vines and bougainvillea are questionable at the moment, but the biggest concern is with the new foxtail palm. We are a bit north of it's normal climate. We wrapped the tree throughout the freeze, but since it lasted many days, it may have suffered too much damage. Hopefully, we'll see some signs of life from it soon. If not, we'll have to replace it. We also lost one koi. Don't think I can blame the freeze since the others did fine. Maybe some fish-on-fish murder? 🤷‍♂️

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.