News Article: Leaving & Staying: What Alabama Offense Might Look Like Next Season

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I liked this article about what the Alabama offense might look like next season. There will be a lot of questions going into next season regarding the offense. Replacing Bryce Young will be very hard. There are a lot of talented wide receivers but it's hard to know who will step up their game. It will be interesting to see who plays the other tackle position opposite Latham.

Leaving & Staying: What Alabama Offense Might Look Like Next Season

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't know who the writer is, but he's pretty firm that of the returning QBs TS will be the starter.

I know nobody knows and it all could be influenced by a surprise transfer like Maye (which has been discussed here).

There's obvious offensive talent on this team, but I just have a feeling that the applecart might get turned over at receiver and maybe even at running back with this signing class.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
BOB is leaving, and that will make a real difference in our offense next year.
I certainly hope so, for sure!

You know there's been lots of talk of us returning to a more balanced offense that features more power running, but with the ability to still feature an outstanding passing game.

I think CNS maybe wanted this to happen under BOB and many of us probably thought BOB was supposed to adjust (run the Bama offense) and continue to orchestrate a high flying offense with BY like we'd seen under TUA and MAC.

What I don't think anyone saw coming was BOB's inability to do the job. It's like we were vanilla all year long. Didn't try to trick anybody or scheme our talent open. We tried to run the ball this year, but were woefully inadequate. It set us up with 2nd and 3rd and long and we were behind the sticks all year long (at least it felt like it to me).

So I figure the next OC will hopefully be able to do this and obviously I hope he'll be more creative than BOB's unimaginativeness!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Interesting reading. With one caveat, I tend to agree with the author’s assessment of the QB situation. Ty Simpson just looks like an infinitely better passer than Jalen Milroe. And acknowledging that Milroe is far better than Simpson as a runner, Simpson’s not bad himself.

But a QB’s running ability isn’t what we want to rely on. And I still remember Milroe’s two consecutive fumbles against aTm, both caused by a lack of situational awareness in combination with exceedingly poor ball security.

Mistakes happen when you’re a RS Freshman in your first start. What really bothered me is not learning from the mistake and repeating it less than 20 minutes later.

The caveat being that BOB hasn’t exactly been a great developer of talent. I don’t see where Bryce is any better this year than last…he might have even regressed a bit, though WR and OL shortcomings obscure that picture. Simpson grew up in a coach’s household, so his skill set was more developed than Milroe’s when he hit campus.

If the new OC is able to develop Milroe quickly, I could see a battle headed into fall camp. If not, the author’s right in that there’s a good chance Milroe will transfer after spring ball, and our QB2 becomes a true freshman.

I don’t see the author’s optimism for the TE position. Outzs is a fine blocker, but not much as a receiver. I certainly wouldn’t characterize him as “a beast,” at the position. And “the sky’s the limit” for Niblack? I guess the author sees something I don’t.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Interesting reading. With one caveat, I tend to agree with the author’s assessment of the QB situation. Ty Simpson just looks like an infinitely better passer than Jalen Milroe. And acknowledging that Milroe is far better than Simpson as a runner, Simpson’s not bad himself.

But a QB’s running ability isn’t what we want to rely on. And I still remember Milroe’s two consecutive fumbles against aTm, both caused by a lack of situational awareness in combination with exceedingly poor ball security.

Mistakes happen when you’re a RS Freshman in your first start. What really bothered me is not learning from the mistake and repeating it less than 20 minutes later.

The caveat being that BOB hasn’t exactly been a great developer of talent. I don’t see where Bryce is any better this year than last…he might have even regressed a bit, though WR and OL shortcomings obscure that picture. Simpson grew up in a coach’s household, so his skill set was more developed than Milroe’s when he hit campus.

If the new OC is able to develop Milroe quickly, I could see a battle headed into fall camp. If not, the author’s right in that there’s a good chance Milroe will transfer after spring ball, and our QB2 becomes a true freshman.

I don’t see the author’s optimism for the TE position. Outzs is a fine blocker, but not much as a receiver. I certainly wouldn’t characterize him as “a beast,” at the position. And “the sky’s the limit” for Niblack? I guess the author sees something I don’t.
I saw a lot of sunshine pumping in that article. I am all for it as an optimistic person, but I didn't agree with much.

I also agree with your assessment of BoB as QB coach. Young has the same exact weaknesses this year as last. And his comments about Milroe were shocking.

Get a new QB coach in here and the sky is the limit, but I would consider Simpson to be a TF, as he has not been developed at all since he arrived on campus.

For all practical purposes, Alabama is starting a TF at QB next year with a new OC. That usually means a step back. Let's see who the next hire is. Without a transfer QB, I am worried about 2023.

Reactions: JustNeedMe81

Bamamonts

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2022
I think TS will be the starting web next year (Unless we pick up a transfer). With the right OC I think the sky will be the limit.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I don't know who the writer is, but he's pretty firm that of the returning QBs TS will be the starter.

I know nobody knows and it all could be influenced by a surprise transfer like Maye (which has been discussed here).

There's obvious offensive talent on this team, but I just have a feeling that the applecart might get turned over at receiver and maybe even at running back with this signing class.
I think you're right and I expect this new class will make a real difference. I do think, though, that there are some guys on this year's team who will make an impact next season. Ja'Corey Brooks is starting to find his game and I think he will be big next season. Jase McClellan has been running with real toughness and power recently and that has been big. I expect big things from McClellan next season.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think you're right and I expect this new class will make a real difference. I do think, though, that there are some guys on this year's team who will make an impact next season. Ja'Corey Brooks is starting to find his game and I think he will be big next season. Jase McClellan has been running with real toughness and power recently and that has been big. I expect big things from McClellan next season.
I believe he and Roydell Williams will have a breakout season as a RB tandem. By midseason, they will have nicknames.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I pointed out that Niblack has been impressing folks in practice this year. Outez is a blocker TE. We saw BOB using him as receiver out of the field and he did well. As long we continue to develop TEe.. we'll be fine.

As far as QB.. So many people penciled in Simpson when I don't think Simpson is ready for another year... None of the QB progressed under BOB. so whoever the new QB coach is... its likely next year QB will progress fast.

Reactions: B1GTide

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I pointed out that Niblack has been impressing folks in practice this year. Outez is a blocker TE. We saw BOB using him as receiver out of the field and he did well. As long we continue to develop TEe.. we'll be fine.

As far as QB.. So many people penciled in Simpson when I don't think Simpson is ready for another year... None of the QB progressed under BOB. so whoever the new QB coach is... its likely next year QB will progress fast.
Unless there is a transfer QB, Simpson will be QB 1

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Nessler did say that Reichard had another year of eligibility. Not sure if he said he had decided to come back or not. Let’s hope he wants to come back. Yeah, I don’t see Milroe being around for the 2023 season.

bamaclimber

3rd Team
Nov 28, 2016
I saw a lot of sunshine pumping in that article. I am all for it as an optimistic person, but I didn't agree with much.
I agree. I've read quite a few articles on RollBamaRoll.com this year and there's definitely a "through rose colored glasses" vibe from their writers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.