News Article: Leaving & Staying: What Alabama Offense Might Look Like Next Season

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Just curious. Are you saying they don't know how to block or assuming as freshman they won't know how to block? Bama has had plenty of freshman running backs play so I am pretty sure these guys will figure it out.
People like to say that because it makes them feel smart. Knowing that RBs need to learn how to block is some sort of super secret information. It makes me chuckle when people say it. It's like saying a kicker will play, but "Not if he doesn't make his kicks!"

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
I liked this article about what the Alabama offense might look like next season. There will be a lot of questions going into next season regarding the offense. Replacing Bryce Young will be very hard. There are a lot of talented wide receivers but it's hard to know who will step up their game. It will be interesting to see who plays the other tackle position opposite Latham.

I'm probably missing something here ... but why would Tyler Booker not be the other tackle?

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
What do I know. I had us winning the national championship this year! Haven’t got a clue about next year.
I feel the same way. I thought Bama had a great shot at the national title this season. I was expecting a dominant team like 2018 or 2020. Instead, this team regressed from last season. I was such a Polyanna coming into this season. I thought Tyler Harrell would be the next Jameson Williams. I thought Jermaine Burton would be the next John Metchie III. I made so many assumptions, and I now know I have to look at each new season without the incredibly hopeful assumptions. I have learned a lot from this season.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
Call me nuts but I think Haynes will end up being #2 or maybe #1 by the end of the year. And watch out for Richard Young.
not if they don't know how to block.... Can't get on the field if they can't block.
Just curious. Are you saying they don't know how to block or assuming as freshman they won't know how to block? Bama has had plenty of freshman running backs play so I am pretty sure these guys will figure it out.
People like to say that because it makes them feel smart. Knowing that RBs need to learn how to block is some sort of super secret information. It makes me chuckle when people say it. It's like saying a kicker will play, but "Not if he doesn't make his kicks!"

... I think during Saban's tenure, stud HS running backs have had a bit of a learning curve when it comes to blocking.

My guess is, they haven't had to block in HS, because they usually have the ball in their hands.

It's not "super secret information". Just a skill that they don't possess when they arrive on campus. Some learn it faster than others.

Every year, it seems like we think the "new" running backs are gonna take somebody's job.

Just can't recall that happening lately. :)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
... I think during Saban's tenure, stud HS running backs have had a bit of a learning curve when it comes to blocking.

My guess is, they haven't had to block in HS, because they usually have the ball in their hands.

It's not "super secret information". Just a skill that they don't possess when they arrive on campus. Some learn it faster than others.

Every year, it seems like we think the "new" running backs are gonna take somebody's job.

Yes this is definitely true. Younger backs often struggle with pass blocking. I'm sure its a mixture of the reads they need to make and the physicality from pass rushers that they are not used to.

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
Ingram

Ingram, Richardson, Yeldon, and Harris all played a lot of snaps at TF. Harris was getting reps in the national championship game at a high rate.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015

Exactly! I can remember Henry’s freshman year. He had a few carries an was impressive running the ball but didn’t start playing a lot until he learned how to effectively block. Same with Najee.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I feel like you're insulting my intelligence here... I don't appreciate it at all. I don't just post here just to prove my worth and I don't have to do that to either of you.

Saban have said it many times over the years on RBs. If you can't block, you won't see playing time. He has stated that before. On the show, after game and at press conferences. Former players have said it. You have to be able to pick up the blitzes.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

You are accurate.

• Thank You
Reactions: oskie

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Call me crazy but I think one of our 2 incoming WRs is going to make a big impact on next year.

I really like Malik Benson coming out of JUCO...
Considering the struggle of this year's group...you aren't crazy...maybe even captain obvious! 😁

Yes this is definitely true. Younger backs often struggle with pass blocking. I'm sure its a mixture of the reads they need to make and the physicality from pass rushers that they are not used to.
I think it's more of learning assignments and knowing who the blitzer is. Sure, they might need to improve some basics of blocking because they probably didn't have to do it much in HS, but I think it's more about learning blocking assignments.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Considering the struggle of this year's group...you aren't crazy...maybe even captain obvious! 😁

I think it's more of learning assignments and knowing who the blitzer is. Sure, they might need to improve some basics of blocking because they probably didn't have to do it much in HS, but I think it's more about learning blocking assignments.
I don't know all the x's and o's about RB's blocking, etc, but I hope Haynes and Young come in and both get decent playing time. Maybe they can practice the blocking/blitzing stuff in January for a few months with some other teammates as they hang out together at someone's house, etc since they aren't really allowed to do that on the practice field until certain times. Someone needs to create a virtual reality scenario they can practice that with for VR games. lol. I wonder if something like this exists already? I recall seeing a segment on one of the football shows a few years ago where Vanderbilt was working on some VR football stuff.

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
... Someone needs to create a virtual reality scenario they can practice that with for VR games. lol. I wonder if something like this exists already? I recall seeing a segment on one of the football shows a few years ago where Vanderbilt was working on some VR football stuff.

... wait ... I thought Vanderbilt football was virtual reality :D

Reactions: Tidelines

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Ingram

Ingram, Richardson, Yeldon, and Harris all played a lot of snaps at TF. Harris was getting reps in the national championship game at a high rate.
Man...what a group of Backs in that list! Only ones missing are Lacy & Henry...but I think both those guys had to learn blocking skills too.

Reactions: AWRTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.