News Article: Leaving & Staying: What Alabama Offense Might Look Like Next Season

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
WHy is everyone so worried about Simpson? He's not going anywhere. He's expected to compete for starting job in spring. If Saban brings in grad transfer, he still will compete.
I think some people are worried about Simpson because we've seen Milroe and were not thrilled by his performance. And no one behind Simpson has even taken a snap.

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I can only speak for myself and not the other post. I was asking a serious question. Do you know Young and Haynes do not block well or assume that freshman backs don't block well. I was not insulting you. LIghten up a bit and ask for clarification before you attack someone.
It was how you and CoachJeff worded it. It wasn't cool at all. It wasn't about being attacked; it was about both of you insulting my intelligence with the statements that was made by both of you.

Both of ya'll missed the whole point. The point was this: Saban don't typically put RBs on the field if they don't know how to pass protect as an RB. It doesn't matter if they are freshmen, sophomore or junior. If you don't know, he's not going to put you on the field. It has been said that before many times over and over in the past 10 years. I do not know if Young or Haynes can. Only way to find out when they get on the campus. How they block at high school level is different from college level.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think some people are worried about Simpson because we've seen Milroe and were not thrilled by his performance. And no one behind Simpson has even taken a snap.
DOn't forget AJ situation? remember he was #3 on depth chart and Saban said they could've played him if necessary.... Remember that story?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
JM had his chance this year...and he failed, pure and simple. He needs to move to TE where he could play for 3 years here and 10 or more in the NFL. I just hope TS and/or one of the incoming QB's can show us something...or else 2023 is going to be a long year.
Agree that Milroe didn't meet expectations this season when he had the chance, not by a long shot.

I don't get folks saying he should move to TE to have a long pro career. NFL TEs are typically 6"4', 250. Milroe appears to be a fantastic athlete, but he doesn't fit that profile at all. realistically he moves to a QB system that is a one-read and run like Hurts ran his first two seasons or he moves to RB or WR, or even S.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Agree that Milroe didn't meet expectations this season when he had the chance, not by a long shot.

I don't get folks saying he should move to TE to have a long pro career. NFL TEs are typically 6"4', 250. Milroe appears to be a fantastic athlete, but he doesn't fit that profile at all. realistically he moves to a QB system that is a one-read and run like Hurts ran his first two seasons or he moves to RB or WR, or even S.
TE is probably the only place on this team where he could get a shot. He's about 6'2" I think...and with his power and speed could cause trouble as did Billingsly before he lost his mind.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think Brooks will go from a "potentially" big time receiver to an actual big time receiver next year. The other three FR receivers began to separate themselves as reliable targets by years end and I expect them to take the next step in their development and a lot better. We will at least have FOUR established WR's next season with one stud in Ja'Corey Brooks, with the potential of one of the below freshmen being one as well.

1670364145977.png

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I think Brooks will go from a "potentially" big time receiver to an actual big time receiver next year. The other three FR receivers began to separate themselves as reliable targets by years end and I expect them to take the next step in their development and a lot better. We will at least have FOUR established WR's next season with one stud in Ja'Corey Brooks, with the potential of one of the below freshmen being one as well.

View attachment 30588
Not the word I’d use to describe any Bama WRs this season.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
TE is probably the only place on this team where he could get a shot. He's about 6'2" I think...and with his power and speed could cause trouble as did Billingsly before he lost his mind.
yep - 6'2". he's got plenty of speed for sure, just not the height or mass to really be a TE, which is why it'd be like a slot receiver or RB type role I think.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022

View attachment 30588
I like the way you think!

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Not sure if that's true the offense Kiffin had was more suited to his skill set at the time. How many bubble screens, Jet sweeps or short passes did you see in the game plan? Speed wise this kid is on another planet from Jalen and just about any other QB in college or the pros. The biggest issue I saw was fumbles. How would moving to another position help with that? Who was the number one receiver a young qb could throw to with some confidence? I believe if not here he is going to be excellent somewhere. Lamar Jackson was so much worse than this kid in his first start in college. You know what they were telling him? He should switch to wide receiver this qb thing isn't for him.
Today’s game requires processing information rapidly to play QB. Hard to coach if you don’t naturally possess it. If you can coach it at all. Personally, I would sacrifice some speed for reading the defense better.

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He had Kiffin for one year. He was very productive that year as a freshman. He won SEC offensive POY. The issue is that in his second year he regressed. Or rather, teams figured out how to slow him down because he was a one read guy that was hesitant to make difficult throws.
Not really. By the end of the first year the book on Jalen was published. Any team with a decent defense could totally shut him down.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
[QUOTE="BamaMoon, post: 3982808, member: 8440"

There's obvious offensive talent on this team, but I just have a feeling that the applecart might get turned over at receiver and maybe even at running back with this signing class.
[/QUOTE]

Hope you’re right, but I’ve thought that the last two years.

Reactions: AWRTR

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Not sure if that's true the offense Kiffin had was more suited to his skill set at the time. How many bubble screens, Jet sweeps or short passes did you see in the game plan? Speed wise this kid is on another planet from Jalen and just about any other QB in college or the pros. The biggest issue I saw was fumbles. How would moving to another position help with that? Who was the number one receiver a young qb could throw to with some confidence? I believe if not here he is going to be excellent somewhere. Lamar Jackson was so much worse than this kid in his first start in college. You know what they were telling him? He should switch to wide receiver this qb thing isn't for him.

This is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison since the level of competition Louisville plays isn't anywhere close to what Milroe faced in his PT and start, but Jackson played in every game and started 8 as a true freshman- Milroe redhirted. As a sophomore - where Milroe is now, jackson started every game, his QB rating was 20 points higher than Milroe's action this year. He was more polished as a QB way earlier. Jackson also got a little award that year.

Could Milroe do better in a different system - maybe - tools might be there. Speed certainly is. arm likely not quite as good as jackson. Read speed, even in a simplified system - don't know.

The real question is would changing our system to be optimal for Milroe be the best thing for the team? On that one, I have real doubts. I'm a huge fan of Jalen Hurts, and how he conducted himself while at 'Bama and since. His development as a QB has been outstanding. that said, his sophmore year we almost had a revolt in the WR room, consisting of Ridley, Smitty, Juedy and Ruggs because at that point in his development, Hurts was one read, maybe two, and run, and that meant the WRs were not being used effectively. They were all about to bolt had Tua not been able to step forward and take the helm so they'd be able to show their skills. SEC defenses had also started to figure out how to at least limit/contain Hurts since with him we were more one-dimensional. Essentially they knew what looks to give him to get him running, so they'd give that look but then be prepped to limit the run.

Consider this - how many top level WR recruits do you think we sign if we limit their ability to show their receiving skills in a simplified one side of the field read offense.|?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

In order for Milroe to be an effective QB he has to work with a very knowledgeable QB coach every day for years. He has relied on being bigger and faster at every level until now where he is facing opponents who are as big and as fast. We are talking about years for him to to unlearn and relearn his mechanics to be effective at throwing the ball. We only need to look at Jalen Hurts who still has detractors in terms of his ability to throw the ball downfield.

The other difficulty when he got on the field BOB didn't change a thing in his play calling. We only have to look at LSU, Arkansas and Auburn most recently on how to utilize an athletic QB.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.