Les Miles - Nick Saban's biggest fan?

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
So with Coach Saban getting a $1.5 million raise, does this mean the Mad Hatter is getting a raise also? According to this source Les Miles is contractually obligated to be the highest paid SEC coach. He is entitled to $1,000 more than the next highest paid coach. Is this still true? How could LSU justify paying Miles that much? Discuss.

TD4Bama

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 21, 2004
I believe it is a dollar more. I remember reading that story during the year Les was going to Michigan and LSU put that in his contract.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
So with Coach Saban getting a $1.5 million raise, does this mean the Mad Hatter is getting a raise also? According to this source Les Miles is contractually obligated to be the highest paid SEC coach. He is entitled to $1,000 more than the next highest paid coach. Is this still true? How could LSU justify paying Miles that much? Discuss.
I have heard this same thing and believe it to be true. I don't know if he will get it or if LSWho can justify paying it based on what Les has done in the past 6 years.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
It must not be true. From media reports he makes somewhere in the $4.5 million range.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That has to be a one-time bump, otherwise multiple coaches with the same clause would continually drive each other's contracts up.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I believe it is a dollar more. I remember reading that story during the year Les was going to Michigan and LSU put that in his contract.
I had always heard one dollar as well, so when I was looking for a source on the story, it said $1,000. So I'm not sure. But I can imagine LSU renegotiating that clause out of his next contract lol.

edit: So as I understand, that clause was only for the one year, during said year, he would have been the highest paid coach?

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
That has to be a one-time bump, otherwise multiple coaches with the same clause would continually drive each other's contracts up.
I'm pretty sure this is right. I've seen several lists of coaching salaries where Les is behind CNS, Brown and Meyer. Here's a list from USA Today that has Miles at #7 with pay before bonuses of just under $4.5M.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
I'm pretty sure this is right. I've seen several lists of coaching salaries where Les is behind CNS, Brown and Meyer. Here's a list from USA Today that has Miles at #7 with pay before bonuses of just under $4.5M.

At least Les has a BCS Championship. What has Butch Jones ($4.8M) and Bret Bielema ($5.1M) done to warrant their salaries? Everyone else making more than Les has one the BCSCG except these two.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
At least Les has a BCS Championship. What has Butch Jones ($4.8M) and Bret Bielema ($5.1M) done to warrant their salaries? Everyone else making more than Les has one the BCSCG except these two.
I think Bielema's 2013 salary is a little bit of a freak thing. It's much higher than the rest of the years in his contract so that he can use the difference to pay his buyout to Wisconsin. I'm not sure why Arky couldn't have paid the buyout themselves directly, but that's the deal. Jones' is really high, but I guess that's the premium you have to pay to get a coach to take the job at a dumpster fire like UT east.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I don't know how accurate that list is but I doubt Brian Kelly makes only a million per. Of coarse ND is a private school so I'm sure they don't release that information.

LagunaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 6, 2013
Believe he qualifies if he wins a national championship again. Then he goes to highest paid in country. If it happens.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
I had always heard one dollar as well, so when I was looking for a source on the story, it said $1,000. So I'm not sure. But I can imagine LSU renegotiating that clause out of his next contract lol.

edit: So as I understand, that clause was only for the one year, during said year, he would have been the highest paid coach?
$1000 is like $1 to major college football coaches.;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.