Let the Madness begin - How Bama makes it to the playoffs…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
While its fun speculating how we can make it into the top 4, going to the Sugar Bowl is not too shabby.👍
Maybe, depends on who wants to play and who opts out. I'd guess the smart decision would be for Bryce and Will to opt out.....and us get some some playing time for next years QB.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe, depends on who wants to play and who opts out. I'd guess the smart decision would be for Bryce and Will to opt out.....and us get some some playing time for next years QB.
If the main issue is not risking a career-damaging injury then why not sit out the playoffs?

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
honestly I don’t know. I believe Michigan is very unknown but you can’t ignore what they just did. Beating Ohio St at home last year was a “well the stars aligned just right” thing, but going into Columbus and beating the brakes off of them is something else entirely. They maybe better than what they were last year.

Georgia I think is nowhere near as good as they appear. Yes they play sound football but something is missing that could be exposed under the right circumstances. As crazy as it seems, they are probably happy that they are playing LSU and not Bama right now. I just don’t buy them as a lock for b2b

I still think after this week we are getting

1) UGA
2) Michigan
3) TCU
4) Ohio St
What if both TCU and USC lose?

Reactions: seebell

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Barrett Sallee:
UGA, Michigan, and TCU should have CFP berths locked up NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS THIS WEEKEND.

Dan Weasel:
"If the committee cares about logical, intellectually-based decision making then the CFP field is set: UGA, Micigan, TCU, USC. No matter what."

Dan Wolken (before the ISU game):
"TCU should be in with just one ore win. Doesn't matter which one."

Selmaborntidefan:
"Wow, a bunch of you went from 'you should have to win your conference' to 'don't matter if you win your conference' at breakneck speed, didn't you?

What changed?"

===================================================

Folks, when we get record low ratings for the four-team playoff, don't tell me "fans want to see different teams in the playoff." Because if they did, the ratings would go up.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Barrett Sallee:
UGA, Michigan, and TCU should have CFP berths locked up NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS THIS WEEKEND.

Dan Weasel:
"If the committee cares about logical, intellectually-based decision making then the CFP field is set: UGA, Micigan, TCU, USC. No matter what."

Dan Wolken (before the ISU game):
"TCU should be in with just one ore win. Doesn't matter which one."

Selmaborntidefan:
"Wow, a bunch of you went from 'you should have to win your conference' to 'don't matter if you win your conference' at breakneck speed, didn't you?

What changed?"

===================================================

Folks, when we get record low ratings for the four-team playoff, don't tell me "fans want to see different teams in the playoff." Because if they did, the ratings would go up.
These writers are writing what they want to see happen.

And in fact it's likely to be what happens.

But if there's any chance the CFP can rationalize getting Bama or OSU in, they will, imo. Those are two HUGE markets.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

But if there's any chance the CFP can rationalize getting Bama or OSU in, they will, imo. Those are two HUGE markets.
Bama in would create a major uproar. It would also create massive numbers. It would also expedite the expansion of the CFP.

for the sports shock jocks, they get a years worth of stories.

if it stays with UGA, Michigan, TCU and USCw….regardless of how good the football is, you won’t have the evil empire needed to pull against, and the numbers will be putrid.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Absolutely.

They want to say about how they lived through the Jets winning Super Bowl 3, Douglas beating Tyson, or whatever "Bad News Bears win the championship". Every year you get some dolt out there that predicts "Jets win the Super Bowl" in hopes he gets considered a genius if it happens.

The writers deep down WANT TCU to win it all - because they want to believe "if they just were given a chance." (We'll set aside the fact they get a chance every year and this is the first time they've gone unbeaten this far in what is largely a conference of jobber wrestlers and two programs on their way out the door who are struggling).

They'll appeal to basketball - but Villanova, but NC State, but Kansas.

Not only has that not happened since 1988 but if you'll go look very closely, you'll notice ALL THREE of those teams played IN THE TOUGHEST CONFERENCE IN THE US the year they won the title.

That - and basketball isn't football, of course. But it would be like 2011 Arkansas (a good team) winning the national title. All they would have had to do is win the LSU game, beat UGA in the SECCG and then beat OK State in the BCSNCG. Given they had an easier time with K-State than OSU did, 2011 Arky WAS A GOOD TEAM, they just weren't Alabama or LSU.

But them winning it would not have been the Bad News Bears suddenly getting good at playoff time.

This is the part that kinda bugs me, though.

The CFP can come up with any backwards looking justification they want.
Just come right out and say, "Hey, Ohio State is a bigger draw than TCU so they're in."

It would be honest - you know, it would be like openly paying players to come to one's school.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Absolutely.

They want to say about how they lived through the Jets winning Super Bowl 3, Douglas beating Tyson, or whatever "Bad News Bears win the championship". Every year you get some dolt out there that predicts "Jets win the Super Bowl" in hopes he gets considered a genius if it happens.

The writers deep down WANT TCU to win it all - because they want to believe "if they just were given a chance." (We'll set aside the fact they get a chance every year and this is the first time they've gone unbeaten this far in what is largely a conference of jobber wrestlers and two programs on their way out the door who are struggling).

They'll appeal to basketball - but Villanova, but NC State, but Kansas.

Not only has that not happened since 1988 but if you'll go look very closely, you'll notice ALL THREE of those teams played IN THE TOUGHEST CONFERENCE IN THE US the year they won the title.

That - and basketball isn't football, of course. But it would be like 2011 Arkansas (a good team) winning the national title. All they would have had to do is win the LSU game, beat UGA in the SECCG and then beat OK State in the BCSNCG. Given they had an easier time with K-State than OSU did, 2011 Arky WAS A GOOD TEAM, they just weren't Alabama or LSU.

But them winning it would not have been the Bad News Bears suddenly getting good at playoff time.

This is the part that kinda bugs me, though.

The CFP can come up with any backwards looking justification they want.
Just come right out and say, "Hey, Ohio State is a bigger draw than TCU so they're in."

It would be honest - you know, it would be like openly paying players to come to one's school.
The writers have always pitched for an egalitarian outcome in the playoff picks. This is nothing new. And the selection committee is charged with picking who they think is the four best teams.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
The writers have always pitched for an egalitarian outcome in the playoff picks. This is nothing new. And the selection committee is charged with picking who they think is the four best teams.
I know if I was on the committee....any team that lost a game by 3 or more scores is out. I don't care if they lost to say the #2 team at home or an 8-4 team on the road. Blow out losses should exclude you.

Alas, I will never be on the committee.

Reactions: Jay Hughes

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know if I was on the committee....any team that lost a game by 3 or more scores is out. I don't care if they lost to say the #2 team at home or an 8-4 team on the road. Blow out losses should exclude you.

For me, it depends. Early in the season with marked improvement I can forgive. Late in the season, nope.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA

That's what they keep going on about over on Vol Nation. "We beat Bama, and we both have two losses, so we should be ahead of them!"

They can't seem to understand that our losses both came down to the wire and could have gone either way, while they got taken to the woodshed by a 6-4 (at the time) unranked team.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
That's what they keep going on about over on Vol Nation. "We beat Bama, and we both have two losses, so we should be ahead of them!"

They can't seem to understand that our losses both came down to the wire and could have gone either way, while they got taken to the woodshed by a 6-4 (at the time) unranked team.
Any top 5 ranked team that gives up the most points ever in the poll era to an unranked team...has no argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.