Let the Madness begin - How Bama makes it to the playoffs…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think if USC and TCU both lose, then Ohio State and Alabama both get in.

I don't really believe that'll happen, sadly; I'm sort of thinking one of them may lose. I do think if both lose, then the Buckeyes and 'Bama both get in. I don't think it takes some blowout for TCU to drop. Not sure why that's the belief on here. Tell me who they've beaten that's so impressive -- plus, the eyes that Ohio State and Alabama bring to the playoff will FAR outweigh what TCU brings backing into the playoffs with a loss.
TCU's beaten everybody they've played in a conference that's about to get blowed up by defections and incoming Group of 5 exodus - and they've beaten everybody they've played in said muddled conference by not very much. Meanwhile, Bama - 3 road games vs. then Top 10 opponents in four weeks' time, and lose two of them by four points on the last play of each game. USC would have two losses to the same team - and whether it happens by one or 41, given the Pac-12's stature and chronic irrelevance the last 14-15 years, that drops them below 'Bama. And we won't even conjecture what kind of havoc a relatively competitive game in the B1G championship would unleash for the committee vis-a-vis tOSU should either or preferably both of this weekend's games as above go 'Bama's way.

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
And it gets REALLY interesting if Purdue channels the late Tyler Trent and beats Michigan like that did Ohio State that night.
It is not out of the question that Michigan would lose to Purdue. Illinois lost 19-17 to Michigan at Michigan the week before OSU. I know they were probably looking past Illinois but maybe not since Illinois was ranked.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
It will not take a blowout loss for Alabama to pass TCU or USC.

We need them both to lose because Ohio State is still ahead of us. But if either lose, they are out.
A 12-1 TCU would likely be placed at #4.....if there was also an 11-2 USC. Ohio State would wind up #3.

At that point I can see the committee putting Michigan #1 so avoid a semi-final rematch with Ohio State.

So, if TCU and USC lose.....I think the its likely we'll have Michigan, Georgia, Ohio State, TCU. Only debate would be who should be #1 and if the committee will avoid the semi-final rematch. In this case, we would be #5.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It depends on the QUALITY of the LOSS, folks.

If TCU loses in triple OT that's one thing since they have already beaten KSU.

If they send the girl's volleyball team to rest for the playoff and KSU blows them out, who knows?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
In a potential TCU vs. Alabama debate I wonder if the committee weighs how both teams did against Texas. If so, that works against us. TCU led them all the way and Texas got a late TD to make the final 17-10 while we needed the FG at the end to pull it out. Both games at Austin.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
A 12-1 TCU would likely be placed at #4.....if there was also an 11-2 USC. Ohio State would wind up #3.

At that point I can see the committee putting Michigan #1 so avoid a semi-final rematch with Ohio State.

So, if TCU and USC lose.....I think the its likely we'll have Michigan, Georgia, Ohio State, TCU. Only debate would be who should be #1 and if the committee will avoid the semi-final rematch. In this case, we would be #5.
I think the committee would then rank us ahead of TCU based upon strength of schedule. TCU at that point would be just another non-conference champion. They would not have a division title either. Nor would USC because the PAC 12 ditched divisions.

I stand by my prediction. If TCU or USC lose, they are out. If both lose, we are in.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I think the committee would then rank us ahead of TCU based upon strength of schedule. TCU at that point would be just another non-conference champion. They would not have a division title either. Nor would USC because the PAC 12 ditched divisions.

I stand by my prediction. If TCU or USC lose, they are out. If both lose, we are in.

science-manipulation.gif

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
We are the playoffs but the playoffs are in denial. Best option is to relax and enjoy the show. Recruiting season is heating up and it is going to be a hum dinger for the Tide it seems.

Reactions: Toddrn

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It is not out of the question that Michigan would lose to Purdue. Illinois lost 19-17 to Michigan at Michigan the week before OSU. I know they were probably looking past Illinois but maybe not since Illinois was ranked.
In a world where Pitt can upset WVA (2007) and UCLA can shock USC (2006) - don't bet against anything being possible.

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019

I respect your opinion... but I disagree, LOL.
I just cannot imagine this committee watching TCU losing to Kansas State, looking at the schedule TCU has played, seeing the margin of victory they've gotten over a few teams, looking at the season in particular that OU, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Iowa State have had, comparing that to an Alabama-SEC schedule, and putting TCU in. I cannot see it. Cannot. I'm sorry. It'll have to be real to me on Sunday afternoon when it happens.

Reactions: Cruloc and dathbama
Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
Just remember - no matter what people will whine.

Imagine a 128-team playoff.
Everyone makes it.

People would then cry "it's not fay-uh" that they got Alabama in round one.
Why, of course we should have a 128-team playoff and it should be done like it is currently:

#1 plays #128
#2 plays #127
#3 plays #126
Etc...

Hilarity would ensue, and could you even imagine anyone in the top 10 getting knocked off in the first round? Legends would be made.

• Haha
Reactions: Padreruf

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
(Me laughing at Alabama fans who are all "but Ohio State has a lousy SoS" who ignored that in 2011 when it went against us.......)

SoS, as I've noted here before, is a wax nose that anyone can make say anything they want. I'm not saying it's meaningless, but it has far more salience when we're comparing someone like UCF and

It's not like we blasted Ohio State and Michigan in OOC games, blew everyone else off the field - and lost two games on the last play, folks.

I woulda thought Tide fans would abandon the "but SoS" argument when Clemson's lousy SoS blew us off the field, 44-16. But hey, what do I know.
Sounds like you’re saying we’re biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.