Let the Madness begin - How Bama makes it to the playoffs…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

denver

All-American
Nov 11, 2017
The playoff will negate a bit of the "judges decision" on who gets in is the hope....as they say in fighting, dont leave it in the judge's hands to decide....Bama needs to change and get back to Bama football, win the SEC and leave no doubt...this should be the definitive wake up call...if it isnt then we have other problems vs not being selected to the CFP cinderella ball invitational.

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011
Why does TCU’s conference championship loss get voided, but not USC’s? The bias is terrible. So many mental gymnastics necessary to keep Alabama out.
I am with you, however do think those two are different... USC got trashed. Their Heisman hopeful quarterback got injured. It was the second loss to Utah. TCU lost by 3 to a team they had previously beaten. But 100% agree there was a biased against Bama.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Why does TCU’s conference championship loss get voided, but not USC’s? The bias is terrible. So many mental gymnastics necessary to keep Alabama out.
Because TCU lost by 3 in OT

USCw got CURB STOMPED by Utah

TCU is still 12-1

USCw is 11-2

See the difference.

Alabama lost TWICE to a 10-2 Tenn AND a 9-4 LSU

Alabama kept Alabama out.

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011

TCU is still 12-1

USCw is 11-2

See the difference.

Not to mention USC's Heisman hopeful quarterback could barely walk by the end of the game.

Bamaingeorgia81

Scout Team
Nov 26, 2022
As long as we have a system where it's not determined on the field, this will always be an issue.
it was essentially determined on the field. TCU's season speaks to that. Had Ohio State lost either the ND game or the Penn State game, their on the field resume/performance would have been similar to ours at 10-2 and a lack of signature wins. But they didn't lose that game; they whooped penn state on the road, and that's why they got the 4 slot.

out of all the previous playoff seedings, this was almost certainly the easiest that they've ever had to do(in terms of selecting the 4, and even probably the order). Which is why there was no drama or suspense going into the announcement today. Hell I didn't even watch it live.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

TCU is still 12-1

USCw is 11-2

See the difference.

TCU lost by 3 in OT

Alabama lost by 1 in OT, away

Alabama lost by 3 in regulation on a last second FG, away

In both losses, Alabama’s Heisman winning QB was significantly injured.

I’ve said previously that we don’t seem to have the full team this year to go all the way. But it’s not like TCU’s loss is significantly “better” than Bama’s.

Two losses is two losses, I just see lots of hand waving away of TCU’s loss but not applying that same logic elsewhere.

Bamaingeorgia81

Scout Team
Nov 26, 2022
TCU's conference championship loss wasn't voided. It just wasn't enough to drop them below Ohio State and to the 4 slot. When comparing TCU and Ohio State, both had 1 loss but TCU due to their regular season success had to play an extra game.

Likewise, had Ohio State beaten Michigan and made the big10 title game and got upset by purdue, there is a chance that they would have still remained at 2 with TCU losing. Just because the committee looks at the entire season and not a conference championship game.

In the case of USC vs tOSU, USC's lead on tOSU going into the final weekend wasn't enough where they could withstand a loss. TCU's was. It really is that simple, and doesn't have anything to do with 'voiding' losses.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Facepalm
Reactions: B1GTide

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
lol.....TCU's conference championship loss wasn't voided. It just wasn't enough to drop them below Ohio State and to the 4 slot. When comparing TCU and Ohio State, both had 1 loss but TCU due to their regular season success had to play an extra game.

Likewise, had Ohio State beaten Michigan and made the big10 title game and got upset by purdue, there is a chance that they would have still remained at 2 with TCU losing. Just because the committee looks at the entire season and not a conference championship game.

In the case of USC vs tOSU, USC's lead on tOSU going into the final weekend wasn't enough where they could withstand a loss. TCU's was. It really is that simple, and doesn't have anything to do with 'voiding' losses.
It didn’t punish them, therefore it was voided, frog.

Last edited:

Bamaingeorgia81

Scout Team
Nov 26, 2022
TCU lost by 3 in OT

Alabama lost by 1 in OT, away

Alabama lost by 3 in regulation on a last second FG, away

In both losses, Alabama’s Heisman winning QB was significantly injured.

I’ve said previously that we don’t seem to have the full team this year to go all the way. But it’s not like TCU’s loss is significantly “better” than Bama’s.

Two losses is two losses, I just see lots of hand waving away of TCU’s loss but not applying that same logic elsewhere.
the difference between 1 and 2 losses is great. You are the one hand waving that away. The only way Alabama had any chance to possibly pass TCU is if they had the same number of losses, or had substantially more bigtime wins to make up for the 1 extra loss. But alabama doesn't have substantially better wins compared to TCU's resume.....in fact they don't even match tcu for that. That's why this was rightfully a no-brainer.

As for the 'bryce young was significantly injured' argument, he played *brilliantly* in the tennessee game. It was his best game of the year. He was making bigtime plays out of the pocket literally all game. So I have a hard time putting too much stock into that when he was so great in that game......

Now TCU may well go out and lose by 30 to Michigan. And I would have picked the Alabama Michigan game to be a tossup. But even if TCU loses by a thousand points to michigan that doesn't mean anything about the committee's decision(and again, there was really no decision anyways.......there was no possible way the committee could have justified putting us in).......

• Facepalm
Reactions: B1GTide

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
lol, well this thread was fun. If fun is a synonym for absurd and delusional lol. As I have been mentioning all along, TCU was never even in jeopardy and them being #3 goes to show that. There was never any "alabama or TCU discussion" going into their big12 title game.

Let's get back to the playoffs next year. But this year we just didn't do even close to enough relative to the top 4 teams, *even if* I would pick us to beat at least one of those teams in a hypothetical future matchup. This is also good reminder that playoff bids and national titles aren't awarded based on who would likely be favored over the other team in a hypothetical future matchup, but rather on the season's accomplishments.

Bamaingeorgia81

Scout Team
Nov 26, 2022
It didn’t punish them, therefore it was voided frog.
That's not the way words work. They were likely punished for that loss relative to how their entire season was viewed. It just wasn't enough to drop them below Ohio State since their advantage over Ohio State was already fairly substantial.

(i’m not going to keep editing your posts. Quit making insulting comments toward other posters. I would suggest taking a break from this thread)

Last edited by a moderator:

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
As long as we have a system where it's not determined on the field, this will always be an issue.
This is the real issue. We went from voting for the national champion, to voting for two teams to play for the national championship, to voting for four teams to play for the national championship. Nothing has really changed.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
the difference between 1 and 2 losses is great. You are the one hand waving that away. The only way Alabama had any chance to possibly pass TCU is if they had the same number of losses, or had substantially more bigtime wins to make up for the 1 extra loss. But alabama doesn't have substantially better wins compared to TCU's resume.....in fact they don't even match tcu for that. That's why this was rightfully a no-brainer.

As for the 'bryce young was significantly injured' argument, he played *brilliantly* in the tennessee game. It was his best game of the year. He was making bigtime plays out of the pocket literally all game. So I have a hard time putting too much stock into that when he was so great in that game......

Now TCU may well go out and lose by 30 to Michigan. And I would have picked the Alabama Michigan game to be a tossup. But even if TCU loses by a thousand points to michigan that doesn't mean anything about the committee's decision(and again, there was really no decision anyways.......there was no possible way the committee could have justified putting us in).......
I’m not hand waving anything. I said 2 losses is 2 losses. We kept ourselves out this year. I was pointing out that TCU’s loss is no different than either of our losses, both of which we got punished for. TCU didn’t get punished for anything. TCU is getting the benefit of the doubt not extended to any other team this year. Only team this season not to drop with a loss. They should have at least dropped to 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.