Let's talk about coordinators

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m done arguing with you. You’re not even trying to hear my side of it because you’re in love with Golding.
Well when you come up with something more than “Golding sucks” and “you are a Golding lover” responses then maybe I’ll hear you out (even though I’ve been hearing you way more than you are trying to hear me out)

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I'd love to make a comment about how in this modern era of offense and rules favoring the offense that a DC is less of a factor than say even 10 years ago......BUT.....

Our ILB group is lost most of the time....we blitzed 20+ times, failed, and never adjusted that scheme....thats coaching.

And this year....we are getting whipped on the line of scrimmage, on both sides. Their freshmen OL held up against our blitz scheme, our OL did not hold up against theirs. We get pressure on the QB on just a third of those blitzes, we win.

In football now....just like before....its all about the line of scrimmage. We are losing there this year. Next year will be different, as will the year after that....we lose guys, we gain new ones, it all goes in cycles. This year is not our year on the lines...we get whipped by equally or even less talented lines. But we don't adjust....not adjusting is on coaches. Not having ILBs fitting the right gaps by mid-season is coaching. Allowing our best D player to get double teamed and not moving him around or disguising things....is coaching.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I cannot believe how stubborn you’re being. You need good solid play on both sides of the ball. I already said one dimensional teams don’t win titles. If you seriously can’t see how horrible our defenses have been under Golding, then you’re blind. All we need him to be is semi-competent, but he simply can’t do it.
1) I have never said our defense under Golding has be good or great. Yes I pick at people because we have so many damn eeyore threads that go way too overboard with it. I have said a good and capable offense can erase a mediocre defense. That’s a fact. Especially with the rules in college overwhelmingly favoring the offense

2) I have said numerous times last year that I wished that Charlie Strong would be an upgrade that I hope CNS was positioning to take over.

3) An offensive deficiency is far more pressing than a defensive one.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Fair enough. I would still like someone to provide an answer as to why our defenses are so bad under Golding.
Lack of adjustments on the fly and maybe not adjusting to known tendencies that have been exploited by superior offensive minds. Lack of creativity...ie our bashing against a brick wall blitz scheme last night....or not moving Anderson around to free him up from a double team...no delayed or safety blitzes or corner blitzes...etc etc

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Lack of adjustments on the fly and maybe not adjusting to known tendencies that have been exploited by superior offensive minds. Lack of creativity...ie our bashing against a brick wall blitz scheme last night....or not moving Anderson around to free him up from a double team...no delayed or safety blitzes or corner blitzes...etc etc
Exactly. And my question was rhetorical. The issue is coaching.

Reactions: Superdad

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The biggest issue we have right now is not schematic. Although to be clear, that IS one of the problems on both sides of the ball.

The biggest issue is maturity. Attitude. And for whatever reason the coaches haven’t gotten through to the players on this front yet. Get that fixed and we win out regardless of what schematic issues we have.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
The biggest issue we have right now is not schematic. Although to be clear, that IS one of the problems on both sides of the ball.

The biggest issue is maturity. Attitude. And for whatever reason the coaches haven’t gotten through to the players on this front yet. Get that fixed and we win out regardless of what schematic issues we have.
I can mostly agree with that. This team, both sides of the ball, doesn't have that lay it on the line mentality you see from hungry teams....a lot of that comes from always winning and never really having to overcome adversity.

There isn't a team wide relentlessness.

But, still hard to overcome what feels like an Achilles heel....in defensive scheme and preparation.....and most importantly, adjustments.

What got us last night was death by a thousand cuts....bad play calls, no adjustments, lack of focus and intensity, drops, drops, drops, no pressure on their QB, tackling, predictability on offense....we screwed up a lot of different things.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
An issue seems to be partly maturity but also I would not use film from the past 3-4 years as teaching film for defense like I used to. As in used to show as an example of good technique and or scheme and execution which says a lot. Can't say that about the offense though, they are great examples this year being an exception some times but not all the time.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
One problem is our coordinators have no feel for in game adjustments. There is a creativity especially in college with calling plays. Kiffin and Sark had it. Pruitt had it. O’Brien isn’t a bad coordinator; he is not a good real time play caller. Neither is Golding. It’s hard to find a guy who can work well during the week AND be a genius in play calling.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
In game adjustments being echoed above is dead on. Why we kept blitzing 22 times up the middle and never getting home is a head scratcher. Three straight passes in the redzone is too. Saban is going to tan some hydes this week man and I only wish I were a fly on the wall.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I really don't want to wedge in to the argument between 2 certain posters here, but for the love of God how anyone can even remotely deny that Pete Golding is in over his head is beyond me. Regardless of what OC problems we may have - and believe me we have some - when you score 38 at Alabama you should win 99 times out of 100 and especially against a team that put up a whopping 22 points against that powerhouse Miss. St. and 10 against the juggernaut Colorado Buffs. Yes, we won in spite of his incompetence last year but you can't count on that all the time nor should we have to. In fact, if not for a generational offense last year we would have lost to Ole Miss, Georgia, and Florida due to his idiocy.

He has zero feel for calling a game and can't adjust and we've seen it over and over and over again. A&M's last TD was a microcosm of the Golding era at Alabama. We finally get the lead back, game on the line, and we call a zero coverage blitz with our backup safety in the game and he gets isolated on the best skill player A&M has who promptly ties the game on a 30 yard go route TD that the QB at Lawrence County High could have completed. There's just no excuse for it. He has to, and I mean has to, go after this season.

EDIT: Let me add, I'm no O'Brien fan/defender either. The gameplan yesterday was bad and especially the redzone playcalling. But he's been here for 6 games. Petey's been dragging us down for 4 years+ now. Past time to hit the pavement.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yeah and you just said it was because of our offense. So which is it? Golding is a good and capable DC or he didn’t really matter?
He has his moments. Sometimes he fields a really good D. Other times the players look completely lost, as if they've never watched one second of film.

But without consistency you end up with games like yesterday.

And FTR, the ILB have looked worse than they should ever since G*lding arrived.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I really don't want to wedge in to the argument between 2 certain posters here, but for the love of God how anyone can even remotely deny that Pete Golding is in over his head is beyond me.
You know this part could have been left untyped. Because 1 it isnt factual to what I have actually said, and 2) you probably shouldnt rehash a conversation that was starting to become heated that died down.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.