Let's talk about coordinators

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
On the Thursday night, Eagles vs. Buccaneers game, one announcer said, "Alabama is a farm team for the NFL." Pretty good publicity...
I watched it but missed that remark. More and more, it's Bama vs. Bama in the pros. Last night, the local Fox station promptly hopped to poker at 10:00, with about five minutes left. I had to quickly log in with my VPN and call up GamePass to finish the game. Jalen surprises me with his arm at times but there's still more he needs to unlearn...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I watched it but missed that remark. More and more, it's Bama vs. Bama in the pros. Last night, the local Fox station promptly hopped to poker at 10:00, with about five minutes left. I had to quickly log in with my VPN and call up GamePass to finish the game. Jalen surprises me with his arm at times but there's still more he needs to unlearn...
He reverts to the old Jalen under duress...I'm not sure how you get that out of his psyche. As they pointed out, he also doesn't take something off his throws when needed. I'm surprised he's a starting QB in the NFL...but he may be just good enough to get you close but not have a winning team. Game was also carried on Amazon Prime TV...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He reverts to the old Jalen under duress...I'm not sure how you get that out of his psyche. As they pointed out, he also doesn't take something off his throws when needed. I'm surprised he's a starting QB in the NFL...but he may be just good enough to get you close but not have a winning team. Game was also carried on Amazon Prime TV...
I didn't know that, so I paid for it twice. I'm on the VPN mainly for the Pat's games. They've sort of become my 2nd team to root for, principally because of Mac, of course. He's got a couple of detractors but most love him. They finally got an OL which could protect him in the last game, with a patchwork line and then promptly demoted three of them back to the practice squad. Sometimes I just don't understand. If Tua had to undergo what Mac has, he'd probably be out of the NFL for good already...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I didn't know that, so I paid for it twice. I'm on the VPN mainly for the Pat's games. They've sort of become my 2nd team to root for, principally because of Mac, of course. He's got a couple of detractors but most love him. They finally got an OL which could protect him in the last game, with a patchwork line and then promptly demoted three of them back to the practice squad. Sometimes I just don't understand. If Tua had to undergo what Mac has, he'd probably be out of the NFL for good already...
Totally agree...why have a million dollar arm if you cannot protect it? If the Dophins' OL doesn't improve Tua will be hurt again -- and then people will say he is "injury prone." Anyone would be with 300+ lb DL's bouncing you around.

Reactions: Con

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Totally agree...why have a million dollar arm if you cannot protect it? If the Dophins' OL doesn't improve Tua will be hurt again -- and then people will say he is "injury prone." Anyone would be with 300+ lb DL's bouncing you around.
There's quite a difference in size between Mac and Tua, no matter what the official NFL records say. I've seen them side by side...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
There's quite a difference in size between Mac and Tua, no matter what the official NFL records say. I've seen them side by side...
I agree...Tua is 5'11 at best...he's had to slim down some to be quicker in the pocket, etc. Mac is a solid 6'3 or so...I still marvel that our QB room had 3 NFL QB's in it...I do think Tua can be a Russell Wilson type QB if they give him some protection...and a running game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree...Tua is 5'11 at best...he's had to slim down some to be quicker in the pocket, etc. Mac is a solid 6'3 or so...I still marvel that our QB room had 3 NFL QB's in it...I do think Tua can be a Russell Wilson type QB if they give him some protection...and a running game.
You can say the exact same about the Pats. The last game, I think they had -1 yards rushing. That's absurd. At least Mac only got hit 4 times, with one sack, instead of the 10 or so the regular OL was allowing. I know they have a sizable investment in the 53 and none in the practice squad, but, I swear, that patchwork OL was so much better. Then, without Damian's two game-killing fumbles, they would be at 4-1. I'm sure one reason the fumble-hating Belichick drafted him was his record of only three fumbles in college, second only to Bo Scarborough in fumbles per carry...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
You can say the exact same about the Pats. The last game, I think they had -1 yards rushing. That's absurd. At least Mac only got hit 4 times, with one sack, instead of the 10 or so the regular OL was allowing. I know they have a sizable investment in the 53 and none in the practice squad, but, I swear, that patchwork OL was so much better. Then, without Damian's two game-killing fumbles, they would be at 4-1. I'm sure one reason the fumble-hating Belichick drafted him was his record of only three fumbles in college, second only to Bo Scarborough in fumbles per carry...
Unfortunately, DH has developed a habit of fumbling at the most inopportune time. This can be a result of his "over-trying" to be good and increase his playing time. If you are trying to "make it happen" instead of "letting it happen" you will tighten up...rigid muscles are not effective.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Unfortunately, DH has developed a habit of fumbling at the most inopportune time. This can be a result of his "over-trying" to be good and increase his playing time. If you are trying to "make it happen" instead of "letting it happen" you will tighten up...rigid muscles are not effective.
Interestingly, Belichick said this week that he wasn't holding the ball close enough. OTOH, he said the Johnston kid was holding it too close. Go figure. The guy who punched out the ball on the goal line on DH was a trained boxer and he delivered a good left hook to that ball. I wonder how many RBs could hold on to that...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm surprised he's a starting QB in the NFL..
I think its a matter of him starting too early yet again. Had he been there two or three full years before they handed things over to him I would expect he'd have been able to work on his issues a lot more. I'm as big a supporter of Hurts as anyone, but I always believed he needed to improve. I think the thing is he physically has the talent, he can make the throws, he can run, his body can withstand contact.

Starting in the first year with the Eagles though? He was still a bit of a project, a lot of NFL great QBs didn't start in their first season. Now he's out there facing NFL talent and what he lacks in mental preparation he's trying to make up for with physical ability. The flip side is that the NFL discards QBs pretty quickly so had he not become a starter soon he might never have had that chance anyway...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think its a matter of him starting too early yet again. Had he been there two or three full years before they handed things over to him I would expect he'd have been able to work on his issues a lot more. I'm as big a supporter of Hurts as anyone, but I always believed he needed to improve. I think the thing is he physically has the talent, he can make the throws, he can run, his body can withstand contact.

Starting in the first year with the Eagles though? He was still a bit of a project, a lot of NFL great QBs didn't start in their first season. Now he's out there facing NFL talent and what he lacks in mental preparation he's trying to make up for with physical ability. The flip side is that the NFL discards QBs pretty quickly so had he not become a starter soon he might never have had that chance anyway...
I'm afraid you may be right. Thing is, in college we all knew it. We knew it was limiting his game and his learning progression. I hoped he'd split time with Wentz for another season...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Saban blames himself.
"It's very upsetting to me when the team doesn't play well. I feel like it's my responsibility- I should be affecting players and coaches and everyone in the organization in a way that the team is well prepared so they can go out and play well. It's really tough when you feel as if you didn't get things done the way you like them to be done." - CNS
It may be Coach Saban's responsibility, but the duty to work with the players, and coach em up is delegated to the Offensive Coordinator, and the Defensive Coordinator.
Our Coordinators failed us. Coach Saban can take the blame, but we all know two coordinators, that didn't do their job.

IT'S TIME FOR NEW COORDINATORS.

Reactions: Ledsteplin

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
It may be Coach Saban's responsibility, but the duty to work with the players, and coach em up is delegated to the Offensive Coordinator, and the Defensive Coordinator.
Our Coordinators failed us. Coach Saban can take the blame, but we all know two coordinators, that didn't do their job.

IT'S TIME FOR NEW COORDINATORS.
I think a new OC is a slam dunk as this was never a destination job for BoB. DC is more of a wild card at this point IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.