Let's talk about coordinators

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Tennessee decided that instead of paying Pruitt they would admit guilt so they could fire him without cause. An incredibly stupid and spiteful move in my opinion, but it's what they did.

This put Pruitt in a fairly untenable situation. Either he just walks away, without the money and with his reputation in tatters or he fights back and tries to place at least some of the blame back on Tennessee and get some money back in the process.

From what I understand the two positions are basically this. Tennessee claims that this is all Pruitts doing. Fulmer and all those other guys were squeaky clean and Pruitt came in with his dirty pedigree (read between the lines here) and brought with him this pay for play scheme.

Pruitt's position is radically different. He's saying they have proof it was going on before he was there, and that he's basically the patsy (which is probably closer to the truth). It is a dangerous game of chicken but I'm not sure what choice he had.

If he let things stand the record would be that he was fired with cause and everything at Tennessee was his doing. If he can get Tennessee to back down about this, then that in the least gives him some plausible deniability. If this goes forward though it does seem to be headed towards mutually assured destruction.
Not sure the NCAA has the stones to do it, but UT could come out of it with LOIC tacked onto them.........they think the firing and admission absolves them, but they are on the hook for it as well......... I don’t think Pruitt’s lawyers would do what they have done without something

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Tennessee decided that instead of paying Pruitt they would admit guilt so they could fire him without cause. An incredibly stupid and spiteful move in my opinion, but it's what they did.
Unless they realized there was no way they were going to be able to avoid being hammered in the long run…..
If this is the case, and they knew they would ultimately lose the war…..they may be attempting to win a battle, and save themselves a boatload of money by taking this tack.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This may cost them more money in the long run...for the defense, for the charges that will come from the NCAA, and for the loss in donations. There's an article in the Knoxville News-Sentinel that says as much...UT better take the first exit off this highway and fast...
Tennessee is going 80 mph down a Dead End Road,
and I don't think one of the Duke Boys are driving.
(I don't know why them Kentucky boys are visiting Tennessee) ;)

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I don’t think Frost is our brand. What’s his success with players in the NFL? That’s what our recruiting pitch is built around: Come here, we’ll get you ready for the NFL, and don’t worry Mom and Dad we will make them responsible adults as well. How well would what Frost brings to the system would gel with what’s already here? How would that pitch relate to the NFL? Those are the questions to answer when considering a coordinator here.

Reactions: seebell

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don’t think Frost is our brand. What’s his success with players in the NFL? That’s what our recruiting pitch is built around: Come here, we’ll get you ready for the NFL, and don’t worry Mom and Dad we will make them responsible adults as well. How well would what Frost brings to the system would gel with what’s already here? How would that pitch relate to the NFL? Those are the questions to answer when considering a coordinator here.
Not arguing for Frost - but Saban sells the program. We're still getting tons of great defensive players despite having a DC that isn't a household name and lacking the ferocious defense we're accustomed to.

FTR, with Frost as OC for Oregon, Mariota won the Heisman and they made it to the NC game.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Not arguing for Frost - but Saban sells the program. We're still getting tons of great defensive players despite having a DC that isn't a household name and lacking the ferocious defense we're accustomed to.

FTR, with Frost as OC for Oregon, Mariota won the Heisman and they made it to the NC game.
That was 2014, defenses have caught up a little, and our most successful quarterback in the NFL is a pocket passer. Our most successful running backs in the nfl were feature backs in college, and Julio was the featured wideout in his tenure. Would he really bring anything to the system that someone else couldn’t? He runs the offense at Nebraska. He’s failed miserably to upgrade even one skilled position there. I think BoB and Frost would be similar hires in that when given the keys to a Ferrari offense they would drove it like they owned it, never really showcasing its ability, whereas Sark and Kiffin drove it like they stole it and made the nightly news.

The more I sit here and think about it, I’m beginning to lean towards Marrone because the more I watch the more I realize that it doesn’t matter what play you call if the defenders are in the backfield on a two Mississippi count and linemen are looking left when a defender is running by their right shoulder. The line has several issues: coaching, learning, apparent missed recruiting analysis, and a leader for them to get behind.

Glad they aren’t asking me to make the decisions, and super glad I’m not the one to have to make them.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
if Nebraska fires Scott Frost then that is my #1 guy for OC. The guy might suck at HC doomed programs but he is a very good OC.
At least we're in agreement that being a bad head coach doesn't make you a bad coordinator.

Frost doesn't seem to have a bad resume as an OC. He was only an offensive coordinator at Oregon, oddly enough he was actually a co-defensive coordinator at Northern Iowa before that.

But he was there from 13-15. Here's a look at their scoring offense.
*2012: 49.6
*2013: 45.5
*2014: 45.4
2015: 43.0

2016: 35.3

*Marcus Mariota was there from 2012-2014.

The big plus for Frost is he knows what ever Oregon was doing that made them a top 10 offense every year. The bad side is that's the extent of his work as an offensive coordinator.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The big plus for Frost is he knows what ever Oregon was doing that made them a top 10 offense every year. The bad side is that's the extent of his work as an offensive coordinator.
Well Kiffin only had Leinhart and Bush for his OC resume. Frost’s offense is a very good college game plan just like Kiffin’s and Sark’s.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Nope. And there's no guarantee he won't be here next season.

I also don't think he's as bad as some here seem to think. Could he call better games? Sure, he's no Sark. But I think he's done a solid job overall.
Agreed. Sark is a hard standard to live up to. There have been a few times where I think he has overthought things a little but overall I think he's pretty solid

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Agreed. Sark is a hard standard to live up to. There have been a few times where I think he has overthought things a little but overall I think he's pretty solid
Agreed. But I do think Sark has a propensity to outsmart himself at times and it's showing up at Texas now that he doesn't have CNS to tend the gate at the corral. CBO seems to be too conservative and predictable, especially in the red zone, even though I think CNS wants to open the gate. I mean he won't "throw anyone under the bus" when asked about play calling particulars. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.