Let's talk about coordinators

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Nope. And there's no guarantee he won't be here next season.

I also don't think he's as bad as some here seem to think. Could he call better games? Sure, he's no Sark. But I think he's done a solid job overall.
My view on the situation on offense is that the issues are probably easier to fix. A few better play calls (which might come down to a bit more hand holding really) and a lot of the offensive issues go away. On the other hand the defensive issues are more disconcerting because the question is basically whether or not some rot has set in. There are some positives there but the scoring offense is ranked #2. The scoring defense is ranked #35. Still a lot more worried overall about the defense...

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
My view on the situation on offense is that the issues are probably easier to fix. A few better play calls (which might come down to a bit more hand holding really) and a lot of the offensive issues go away. On the other hand the defensive issues are more disconcerting because the question is basically whether or not some rot has set in. There are some positives there but the scoring offense is ranked #2. The scoring defense is ranked #35. Still a lot more worried overall about the defense...
Yes the offense seems to be the easier fix but I wonder if some of the play calling is due to the limitations and inconsistency of line play, particularly the right side.

Defense is just erratic with the "GO FAST" teams save Ole Miss, which to me doesn't calculate.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Here is the problem with stats without context…2012 and 2013’s offense had a higher scoring average than all but 1 Lane Kiffin’s offenses, and that one just happened to be 2016 when a chunk was due to NOTs. People like Ryan Brown would always use this to say “Doug Nussmeier was a better OC than Lane Kiffin”. Does anyone truly believe that anymore?

Bill O’Brien is the in between of Daboll and Locksley, and that is not as good as it sounds. He can’t decide if he wants to throw a home run every down or play for the safe choice. It’s why we are seeing a lot more three and outs now than what we are accustomed to.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not sure if either one of these two defensive co-ordinators would leave their current gig to work for Nick Saban, but I would at least speak with both of them, Mike Elko, TAMU and Dan Lanning, UGA. Lanning has previously worked in Tuscaloosa for CNS.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan and Con

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Not sure if either one of these two defensive co-ordinators would leave their current gig to work for Nick Saban, but I would at least speak with both of them, Mike Elko, TAMU and Dan Lanning, UGA. Lanning has previously worked in Tuscaloosa for CNS.
You know, I wouldn't consider it being a lateral move when you have the opportunity to work for Coach Saban.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The issue is this - does Saban see Golding as a liability?

Reactions: Rush

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Our defense did a good job a few days ago. They have also done well at other times during the year while being frustrating to us at other times. I doubt that CNS will get rid of Golding. BOB and Marrone might need to go.
My thoughts as well... :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddrn

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
For reasons I don’t understand, Saban likes Golding, and Saban’s opinion is the only one that matters.

What he thinks of Marrone and O’Brien, I don’t know. I’m underwhelmed by O’Brien, and think the OL has actually regressed since the Miami game.

So far, Nick hasn’t called to ask my thoughts.
I wonder if the lack of Oline development is more of Kyle Flood not developing the guys, or a mixture of both Flood and Marone. I know there have been some injuries on the o-line, but you'd think some of the guys from the past 2 years would have been developed by now. I also hope we have a new OC next year who is more creative and makes in-game adjustments better.

Reactions: Rush

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I'm not enamored by the production of the coordinators either, but I can remember early on lots of criticism of Sark and before him LK. Just think about this:
1. There is not a single position group on offense that is better this year than last year...not one.
2. The defense seems to be maturing and improving...but we still have LB problems in pass coverage. DB's have been up and down...but on the whole better.

All of this is to say that we're just not as good as last year...and we can see that. IMHO, the athletes on the whole do not have the combination of talent & experience necessary to "win it all". I have no illusions about us going undefeated the rest of the season and/or making the playoffs. Every program has a down year...and if 11-2 is our down year, then we're still in elite company.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
IMO, Golding isn't the problem... :cool:
Bama’s defense shut down the 4th ranked offense; they had big trouble with Florida and lost to a mediocre offense. Everyone else they’ve pretty much handled (UT’s three big plays notwithstanding). If Henry is the signal caller, he may have been a problem; his play in those games was certainly not up to par, but this is his first year.
I think the defense will be OK, as they seem to be getting better and better. The offense took a huge step backward Saturday; again, how much did Dalcourt’s injury play into that? Owens had played center before but it doesn’t even look like he’ll be at center this week if DL can’t go; is that because RT is a problem? I don’t know, but Bama had the second ranked scoring offense going into that game even with the flaws.
Marrone needs to go, for sure; run game has underperformed and pass protection looks like a bunch of matadors out there. With one exception. If Bama loses to the Barn (doubtful) or Georgia, I think BOB should be cut loose unless Bama somehow makes the playoffs (in above scenario possible but not likely). JMO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.