Let's talk Bama Running Backs (Game 1 Reflections)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think Robinson looks a lot like TJ Yeldon out there. Maybe it's just the #4.

I think McCellan and Williams are very good and just need reps.

I was thrilled for Sanders but I agree with someone else who said he looked slow. Which would be completely understandable after what he's been through. He probably just needs to continue to get reps as well.

I think we're very well stocked at RB and it's the least of my concerns on the team.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I think Robinson looks a lot like TJ Yeldon out there. Maybe it's just the #4.

I think McCellan and Williams are very good and just need reps.

I was thrilled for Sanders but I agree with someone else who said he looked slow. Which would be completely understandable after what he's been through. He probably just needs to continue to get reps as well.

I think we're very well stocked at RB and it's the least of my concerns on the team.
Sanders did look slow but no one caught him.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Miami did a ton of gap blitzing, which stuff the run every time. You still averaged 4.9 YPC, and you killed them in the air because of their gap blitzing. I wouldn't worry about the RB position at all.
Yep. Surprised we are discussing it. We are going to be more by committee this year but will be as effective as we were with Ingram, DH and Najee were as the workhorses.

Bamachamps

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 14, 2017
I love Brian Robinson. He's stuck with it, runs hard, he's solid and gets tough yards. However, he's probably the least pure talent, which is more of a compliment to the others than a knock on him.

Sanders looked good and has speed, but he tends to bounce it outside. I think Roydell Williams was the one who fumbled, but could be wrong. He looked potentially explosive in the few carries he had. McClellan looked solid as well. I think offensive line is more of an issue than the runningbacks.

The problem to me is that, at least right now, there isn't one that stands out above the rest. There isn't an Ingram, Richardson, Henry, or Najee. It's more of a bunch of Yeldons and Laceys, which isn't a bad problem.
I agree that nobody stands out and proved they can carry the game on their back and get stronger as the game progresses. Probably will not find out till end of year.

Reactions: jashleyren2

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I was thoroughly impressed with BY - even more than I expected.

However, if I'm being honest, I was expecting a little more "bang" out of our running backs. A couple of times I thought they looked a little slow or hesitant to hit the hole. Not trying to be picky or critical...just some initial reactions:

1. Brian Robinson - he looked good and ran extremely hard, but he doesn't have the "elusiveness" of Najee. He got tackled by a shoe-string several times when he tried to bounce outside, but if he breaks those tackles he's got a lot more yards.

2. Jase McClellan - thought he ran well and perhaps hit holes better than BR, but the fumble was a mistake that seemed to lead to more...(EDIT: it was Roydell who fumbled, still though JM looked good)

3. Trey Sanders - I don't know if it's because he got more touches later when we typically start gashing overmatched defenses, but Sanders probably looked the most dynamic and well-rounded.

4. Roydell Williams - think he only got a few touches late with PT at QB. Nothing really to say here (EDIT: RD fumbled...guess that's why I don't remember many of his carries).

5. Camar Wheaton - I don't recall him carrying the ball. I was hoping to see him get some touches but there're only so many opportunities. Maybe this week we see him?

Thoughts???
Checking the Miami game participation chart, Camar didn't get on the field. I'm hoping he gets some carries Saturday.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I see BRob as TJ Yeldon with Josh Jacobs tenacity. He won’t break long ones. Not his style. He doesn’t have the lower body control of a Najee or Ingram. . But who does?

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
Jace and Trey need and will get more work as the season goes on. Hopefully BR is the thunder and JM and TS are the lightning ⚡

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
I was thoroughly impressed with BY - even more than I expected.

However, if I'm being honest, I was expecting a little more "bang" out of our running backs. A couple of times I thought they looked a little slow or hesitant to hit the hole. Not trying to be picky or critical...just some initial reactions:

1. Brian Robinson - he looked good and ran extremely hard, but he doesn't have the "elusiveness" of Najee. He got tackled by a shoe-string several times when he tried to bounce outside, but if he breaks those tackles he's got a lot more yards.

2. Jase McClellan - thought he ran well and perhaps hit holes better than BR, but the fumble was a mistake that seemed to lead to more...(EDIT: it was Roydell who fumbled, still though JM looked good)

3. Trey Sanders - I don't know if it's because he got more touches later when we typically start gashing overmatched defenses, but Sanders probably looked the most dynamic and well-rounded.

4. Roydell Williams - think he only got a few touches late with PT at QB. Nothing really to say here (EDIT: RD fumbled...guess that's why I don't remember many of his carries).

5. Camar Wheaton - I don't recall him carrying the ball. I was hoping to see him get some touches but there're only so many opportunities. Maybe this week we see him?

Thoughts???
BR is going to be the bruiser
JM is very explosive
TS is very natural with good vision and great feel.
RW is still developing
CW was banged up last week

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
On Hey Coach! last night Saban mentioned that Wheaton got hurt during practice (I assume at some point prior to the Miami game) but did not offer anything further - as in type/severity of the injury nor how long he might be out. That was the first I'd heard about him being injured.

Reactions: 10Bama54

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Agree on Robinson. Coach likes him because he is solid and reliable, and he is a load to stop. Note that he is on the field when the defense is still really fresh. By the time he is done, they are tired and the next guy can look really good. I think he has worked his way into a low-ish draft pick, through pure hard work and persistence. Good for him. He is a good example to the RB room and is producing solid, unspectacular, and error-free results.

I think there is a fair chance that Sanders is the official starter by mid-season. Saban loves that guy too.
It’s possible I guess, but it would be way out of character for CNS to make that move. We had 2 RBs better than Damien Harris in 2019, but DH remained the starter.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.