Let's Talk QB's (Who Should Be The Backup?)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Ty is the better passer out of the two. That’s from what I have gathered from people who have actually had eyes on him. But with the Oline issues and Milroe’s talent, it may have been a better option going with Milroe. However at any rate, any criticism of Milroe must start with BoB. This was probably his worst game calling stuff and it makes the Kiffin peach bowl look like ace game calling.
However at any rate, any criticism of Milroe must start with BoB

Bingo. Let’s look back at Jalen Hurts/Lane Kiffin. Jalen was not a refined passer (but better than Milroe at this point experience wise) Kiffin understood than Jalen didn’t possess that “read/react/touch” on intermediate to deep passes very early on in that freshman year.
Kiffin ran short, quick routes underneath. And with those routes, Kiffin figured out how to get the matchups he wanted on those routes. Jalen was at that point a “two reads or run” QB. Kiffin did what good coaches do; based on where the player is experience and skill set wise, fully recognize what they can and cannot do and put them in position to have more success and less failure.

But BOB and this “recognition” are two mutually exclusive things. After last night, I’m not sure BOB would recognize himself if he was staring in a mirror.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I honestly think the only reason we did not see Simpson was because we had the lead. If the coaches are not careful, they will lose Simpson to the portal. I know I would transfer, if I saw that and was still on the bench.
We may lose both. Milroe because he isn’t capable of playing SEC quality QB and Simpson because he’s behind a guy that isn’t capable for some reason.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I honestly think the only reason we did not see Simpson was because we had the lead. If the coaches are not careful, they will lose Simpson to the portal. I know I would transfer, if I saw that and was still on the bench.
I agree. People ask why I would trust Simpson? Pretty simple. Kid is a baller. Son of college football coach. Both he and Milroe would make freshman mistakes. But the upside from the kid is much higher when looking at what we run in BoB offense.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Re: Simpson - the only thing I can figure is there is some component of team chemistry or something else that we are not privy to.

Maybe the locker room is firmly behind Milroe and making the change to Simpson upsets things behind the scenes? Maybe Simpson isn't doing some of the things he needs to do in practice?

I refuse to believe that CNS stuck with Milroe without having a very good reason...

Reactions: teamplayer and Rush

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Re: Simpson - the only thing I can figure is there is some component of team chemistry or something else that we are not privy to.

Maybe the locker room is firmly behind Milroe and making the change to Simpson upsets things behind the scenes? Maybe Simpson isn't doing some of the things he needs to do in practice?

I refuse to believe that CNS stuck with Milroe without having a very good reason...
There is no way that’s the case, not anymore anyway. Our receivers were visibly frustrated. if we didn’t have Young, this could be a 2017-style mutiny from the receivers.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and Con

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I've been trying to defend Milroe, with statements like "fumbles are fixable", which is eminently true. However in many ways we were lucky to get away with only 2 fumbles and 1 INT, because ATM dropped 3 or 4 easy INTs.

Part of the problem is that the Bama playbook changes slowly, new coordinators are instructed to pick it up and fiddle at the margins. Meanwhile our coaches and GAs get hired around the league so our playbook is widely known.

We have lived in an era of outstanding first round draft pick WRs, where the playbook and route running hardly matters. But now it does, and our WRs are never open.

It may be that Ty is a better option, and I agree that Milroe's performance on the field lost the game absent a mostly outstanding defensive effort. I hope Bryce is well, and if not I am neutral as to whether Ty or Jalen gets the start - but we all expect it will be Jalen, because in general Saban prefers experience over raw talent.

Reactions: Rush

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
JM should have nothing more than a two step drop one read pass play. It ain’t there take off. I also think TS skill set better fits our BY game plan.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and BamaMoon

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Truthfully I was pretty high on Milroe last year. My thinking was “yeah this kid is a little rough, but he is a really good athlete and with some development he could be a Blake Sims type surprise”. And when we signed Simpson last year, I was thinking “2023 could be a QB controversy type season if this kid is as good as everyone says and JM continues to develop”.
After last night, forget that thought. Nothing, absolutely nothing, has been done to help JM progress from last year. Which begs the question “just who coaches the QB’s?”.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
By all accounts Simpson is the real deal. And for all the flak BOB gets, and he deserves a lot of it, our running game is legit. Tex 8&4 sold out on the run and couldn’t stop it. We just shot ourselves in the foot with the turnovers.
Beat me to it! I`m personally surprised we ran for the yardage that we did, including JM`s scrambles. Everybody ( certainly A&M ) knew we would be very much more one dimensional, so they sold out to stop the run. Couldn`t do it. If there`s a silver lining associated with all this woe, it`s that IMHO. Regardless, to run for that many yards in that situation HAS to say something positive about the O line.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Ty Simpson is probably frustrated beyond believe right now. If I were in his shoes, and I saw how poorly Milroe was playing and they still didn’t put me in the game, I’d be asking myself “What am I even doing here?”

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
BoB has his weaknesses as a playcaller but without the turnovers we win comfortably 24-3 and I doubt there would be much criticism today. Consensus opinion is that BoB should have used the KISS strategy with Milroe. That might have worked in this game but the kid is going to have to be able to handle more eventually. The QB is going to have to take hits without coughing up the ball no matter what plays are called. if the goal is to win a NC you cannot beat the other playoff contenders with just a mixture of QB runs and Dink passes. The QB must be able to throw downfield. If BY gets hurt again we're probably done for this season and there's reason to be concerned for next season. Either Simpson will have to make a lot of progress or we'll need one of the new guys. I don't think Milroe can be the guy no matter how much coaching he gets.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Ty Simpson is probably frustrated beyond believe right now. If I were in his shoes, and I saw how poorly Milroe was playing and they still didn’t put me in the game, I’d be asking myself “What am I even doing here?”
It’s because he’s a part of the process. Most kids see the big picture. They’re not reactionary emotional and immature. Some are, see the UT transfers.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I just want to know why we keep recruiting QBs who are skilled runners but can’t pass the football. There exists a position for people who run the football. It is called Running Back or Full Back. The QB has 2 primary jobs. Running the offense, and distributing the football to skill players with a pass or a handoff. Running isn’t his primary or secondary job and it’s not where he should be contributing to the offense the most.

So why, as the biggest program in college football for the past 15yrs, do we always go through a slump every 3yrs or so of having a bad passing QB whose first instinct is to hold onto the ball and run? Why the heck is Jalen Milroe our best option at QB right now? Every other decent program seems to be able to manage to have 3 decent passing QBs on the roster. Where are our passers? It drives me crazy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.