Liking What Oats Is Showing

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
YTD team stats. Note - John Petty is 3rd in the NCAA in 3 point shooting percentage (47.5%).

View attachment 5720
That close to 50% from 3 pt land is a killer, almost equivalent to shooting 75% from 2 pt. I agree with the remarks to the effect that we'd be better off if someone other than Petty would pick up on the short jumper or floater. It's open all the time, since teams have begun to clog the middle, expecting the drive. We're getting a lot of drives swatted away when the 10' was wide open. You need to use all the court. I'd add that it's ironic that our shot chart looks so much like a pro chart, when we thought we were hiring CAJ to achieve that...

TexasBama

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
That close to 50% from 3 pt land is a killer, almost equivalent to shooting 75% from 2 pt. I agree with the remarks to the effect that we'd be better off if someone other than Petty would pick up on the short jumper or floater. It's open all the time, since teams have begun to clog the middle, expecting the drive. We're getting a lot of drives swatted away when the 10' was wide open. You need to use all the court. I'd add that it's ironic that our shot chart looks so much like a pro chart, when we thought we were hiring CAJ to achieve that...
Agreed. A little pull up jumper one step inside the foul line would be handy.

It is refreshing, though, not watching dribbles for 43 seconds followed by a forced shot.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
YTD team stats. Note - John Petty is 3rd in the NCAA in 3 point shooting percentage (47.5%).

View attachment 5720
Definite room for improvement in many categories. Any of the rankings based on absolute values are skewed by the extra number of touches coming from the quick offense. Margins, ratios, and percentages paint a more accurate picture.

I wonder how the first half vs second half of the season (up to this point) would compare. My eyes tell me that the team has improved significantly regardless of competition.

TexasBama

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I wonder how the first half vs second half of the season (up to this point) would compare. My eyes tell me that the team has improved significantly regardless of competition.
If you start counting after the Iowa State loss, I think our scoring margin goes to top 20 or so. Seems like we started to click then.

• Thank You
Reactions: day-day

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree with the remarks to the effect that we'd be better off if someone other than Petty would pick up on the short jumper or floater. It's open all the time, since teams have begun to clog the middle, expecting the drive.
I know the mid to short range is open a lot but it is totally against CNO's philosophy. The lay-up/dunk, put-back and 3 pt shot are the core of everything his offense is designed to do. We just have to accept we will not be attempting or making a lot of 2 pt shots and I am OK with it.

CajunCrimson

Hall of Fame
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I know the mid to short range is open a lot but it is totally against CNO's philosophy. The lay-up/dunk, put-back and 3 pt shot are the core of everything his offense is designed to do. We just have to accept we will not be attempting or making a lot of 2 pt shots and I am OK with it.
Which is great until your 2 penetrating guards are both sitting with 4 fouls like the other night -- and then you, for all intents and purposes, take away the "drive" part of the game -- which limits your offense. If we had Q, I'd not be concerned. But, you saw on Saturday -- we were pretty lucky to have made it through with limited guards -- and thank goodness they missed their 3s at the end of the game

Last edited:

TexasBama

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Thinking about this a bit - this is the philosophy of several NBA teams. But NBA defensive rules vs. college defensive rules make it some easier (defensive 3 seconds, etc.) and the floor is more open. So taking what we're given rather than driving into 3 guys is likely the better part of valor.

Reactions: TiderJack

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Which is great until your 2 penetrating guards are both sitting with 4 fouls like the other night -- and then you, for all intents and purposes, take away the "drive" part of the game -- which limits your offense. If we had Q, I'd not be concerned. But, you saw on Saturday -- we were pretty lucky to have made it through with limited guards -- and thank goodness they missed their 3s at the end of the game
Yep, but you got to dance with the one who brung ya.

Latest threads

TideFansStore.com