Liking What Oats Is Showing

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm liking what Nate Oats is showing in his first month of games.

I like the effort. Haven't had consistent effort since Wimp. We don't have the horses right now, but that's coming.

On a related topic, I like the obvious buy-in on the part of the players. I think they genuinely like playing for Oats.

I like the offense. Yeah, when you live by the 3, you can also die by the 3, especially on the road (see yesterday in Lexington). Next year, we'll have an inside game to go with the outside, and might not be so beholden to something that comes and goes.

Shackleford is a rising star. He's not truly ready for prime time, but he shows flashes, and provides consistent enthusiasm and occasional brilliance. If the WVU transfer could stop being a foul machine, he'd be a difference-maker.

Oats is making the most of our strongest asset -- guards. Petty is still streaky, but more consistent than in the past. Lewis no longer feels like he has to do it all alone. Shackleford is getting better and better as time goes on. He (Oats) is also doing a good job covering up our weaknesses inside. Can't cover that altogether, but he's making chicken salad out of chicken [waste].

If we had any inside presence at all (I know....I know.....ifs and buts), we'd be a true threat. As it is, we're actually building for the first time since Gottfried's first couple of years, before he got complacent and distracted.

I really believe we made the right hire, and that he's doing the right things the right way. This year may not be the year. But for the first time in a long time, I can see that we're making real progress.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I'm liking what Nate Oats is showing in his first month of games.

I like the effort. Haven't had consistent effort since Wimp. We don't have the horses right now, but that's coming.

On a related topic, I like the obvious buy-in on the part of the players. I think they genuinely like playing for Oats.

I like the offense. Yeah, when you live by the 3, you can also die by the 3, especially on the road (see yesterday in Lexington). Next year, we'll have an inside game to go with the outside, and might not be so beholden to something that comes and goes.

Shackleford is a rising star. He's not truly ready for prime time, but he shows flashes, and provides consistent enthusiasm and occasional brilliance. If the WVU transfer could stop being a foul machine, he'd be a difference-maker.

Oats is making the most of our strongest asset -- guards. Petty is still streaky, but more consistent than in the past. Lewis no longer feels like he has to do it all alone. Shackleford is getting better and better as time goes on. He (Oats) is also doing a good job covering up our weaknesses inside. Can't cover that altogether, but he's making chicken salad out of chicken [waste].

If we had any inside presence at all (I know....I know.....ifs and buts), we'd be a true threat. As it is, we're actually building for the first time since Gottfried's first couple of years, before he got complacent and distracted.

I really believe we made the right hire, and that he's doing the right things the right way. This year may not be the year. But for the first time in a long time, I can see that we're making real progress.
When John Calipari says he is glad that he does not have to play you again until the SEC tourney, then you know we are going in the right direction...I go back to the CM Newton days and love what I am seeing...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I agree with you 100%. Rojas injury was a huge blow because I think he is the athletic bigger guy that could help out on the inside. If Lewis, Petty, and Shackelford were all "on" at the same time, we could beat just about anyone. The hustle and not giving up is a huge improvement over the CAJ years.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
When John Calipari says he is glad that he does not have to play you again until the SEC tourney, then you know we are going in the right direction...I go back to the CM Newton days and love what I am seeing...
To be fair it would be rude if he said. I would like to play these guys every weekend. Having said that I love our guards and what he is doing with them.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree with you 100%. Rojas injury was a huge blow because I think he is the athletic bigger guy that could help out on the inside. If Lewis, Petty, and Shackelford were all "on" at the same time, we could beat just about anyone. The hustle and not giving up is a huge improvement over the CAJ years.
We actually have two projected starters (Rojas, Quinnerly) who are not playing and TF Gary was going to be a big time contributor (CNO said he already has a SEC body). That is three major contributors not playing which means there are three guys currently playing that would not be getting near as many if any minutes. The future is very bright.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice thread. It has been a long time since we had a coach like Oats on the court at Bama. He has already changed the entire mindset of the players. They want to be rewarded with the hard hat representing a blue collar mentality. Nate has a way about him and prospective recruits can't help but take notice. I am telling you guys, this dude is for real.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
If you don't like Oats, and Bama Basketball right now, you haven't been paying attention. We are better in most every aspect of our game this year. Shooting is much better, free throw shooting is much improved, effort is off the charts, and their rebounding is coming along. If we can continue to get better defensively we'll have a shot at going dancing. The toughest part of our schedule was the 1st 4 games. It is not easy from here on in, but there are some games we should win. We have to get to a minimum of 10 wins plus a few in the SEC tourney to have a chance though. That leaves us with very little room for error, but it has been fun to watch so far.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree. Anyone who has been whining about Oats and the program at Alabama does not know their basketball well. The team has improved significantly compared to the last two years. Culture is changing and you can tell on and off the court. We went to battle with Florida and Kentucky. We're about to play Auburn next. I feel confident that we can keep up with them and maybe stun them.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Here is where returners stand on FT% from last year to this year:

Name2018-192019-20
Kira Lewis.783.792
John Petty.707.745
Herb Jones.495.569
Alex Reese.755.733
Galin Smith.444.385

Reactions: TexasBama

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Here is where returners stand on FT% from last year to this year:

Name2018-192019-20
Kira Lewis.783.792
John Petty.707.745
Herb Jones.495.569
Alex Reese.755.733
Galin Smith.444.385
It feels like we are starting to put it together. Tomorrow night is huge. If we can mange to get a W in this one, out NET ranking will go up and we at least have a shot at the big dance.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.