Lincoln Riley accuses Dave Aranda of bad sportsmanship

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
There were 43 seconds on the clock when the countdown started...Baylor called a TO with 3 seconds...but the crowd had rushed the field. They were moved back and the FG was made...Big 12 rules regarding tiebreakers use scoring differential.
I was watching the end, and thought I saw the clock go down to zero, then the crowd ran out. I don't think anyone, including the clock operator, realized Baylor called time-out. I know I wasn't expecting a time out.

Reactions: Padreruf

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The news guys down here in Louisiana seem to think the three top candidates for LSU are Lincoln Riley, Jimbo Fisher, and Mel Tucker, with no particular order on a favorite. What they don't seem to know is if any of the three are actually interested in the job.
Jimbo leaving TAMU right now to get into that snake pit, I don't see. I understand Tucker's ties to the program but if he left Michigan State for LSU, that would be the third program (Colorado, MSU, and LSU) in four years, and the "well how long is he going to be here" tag would be applied. Riley, why he would want to go there is beyond me.

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
Jimbo leaving TAMU right now to get into that snake pit, I don't see. I understand Tucker's ties to the program but if he left Michigan State for LSU, that would be the third program (Colorado, MSU, and LSU) in four years, and the "well how long is he going to be here" tag would be applied. Riley, why he would want to go there is beyond me.
Riley's not going to LSU – nor does he want to.

The truth about the OU-Baylor game: Baylor called the time-out in oder to kick the field goal as time was about to expire. Baylor fans probably didn't realize that time had been called, so they rushed onto the field with Oklahoma players still there. Riley sent them to the locker room to avoid injury/possible confrontations. It was an unfortunate situation for all involved.

On a related note, Baylor had no need for another tiebreaker. The Bears already owned the first tiebreaker over the Sooners. I still don't understand why Aranda thought he needed the field goal.

But let's separate the sheep droppings from the apple butter: the Bears cleary outplayed my Sooners and deserved the win. In the end, that's clearly all that matters.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
On a related note, Baylor had no need for another tiebreaker. The Bears already owned the first tiebreaker over the Sooners. I still don't understand why Aranda thought he needed the field goal.
I think the tie breaker argument would be if it was a 3 way tie. so if Oklahoma lost to Iow State but then won Bedlam?

Idk I honestly don't know how the Big12 works lol

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Maybe clock differential of three seconds forced his hand. The alternative was snapping the ball to the punter and telling him to run backwards for three seconds, but going to those lengths (losing a bunch of yards on the last play to eat clock) sat ill with Aranda and he figured, "whether we make the FG or not, it will eat the three seconds up and whether we make the FG or not, it won't cost us any yards."
Maybe you put the strongest arm you have back at punter and tell him to receive the snap and throw the ball as high and as far as you can.
It seems like a normal FG attempt was the least bad option.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Maybe clock differential of three seconds forced his hand. The alternative was snapping the ball to the punter and telling him to run backwards for three seconds, but going to those lengths (losing a bunch of yards on the last play to eat clock) sat ill with Aranda and he figured, "whether we make the FG or not, it will eat the three seconds up and whether we make the FG or not, it won't cost us any yards."
Maybe you put the strongest arm you have back at punter and tell him to receive the snap and throw the ball as high and as far as you can.
It seems like a normal FG attempt was the least bad option.
Years ago UGA had 5 seconds left on the clock...the QB took the snap and ran backwards and around until the clock expired...he then laid the ball down on the field, thinking he had downed it. He had not...it was like a fumble...fortunately another Ga player fell on it. Vince Dooley just about had a heart attack....

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Years ago UGA had 5 seconds left on the clock...the QB took the snap and ran backwards and around until the clock expired...he then laid the ball down on the field, thinking he had downed it. He had not...it was like a fumble...fortunately another Ga player fell on it. Vince Dooley just about had a heart attack....
That honestly sounds like the most Georgia thing ever

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
There are unusual situations in which players, run the heat of the moment, are not acting like they understand the rules. A SC State okayed a couple of years ago, caught a kickoff in the end zone, did not take a knew, but simply tossed the ball towards the ref, who dodged the ball, because it was a live ball. Clemson (the kicking team) recovered the ball in the end zone for a TD. I felt bad for the SC State player.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
When I used to referee basketball we were shooting a one and one and I was administrating the one and one and told players kid missed front end player grabbed rebound tossed it to me hit my chest bounced into lane player picked it up and scored, player who tossed it at me said what are you doing I said what are you doing so players do forget sometimes

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Steve Spurrier - whom the late Tim Wilson noted would run up the score in a pickup church volleyball game - basically said that if you don't like it, stop it.

I can see both arguments here, I guess - but Oklahoma is just not the school to be complaining about this. I'm old enough to remember when OU or Nebraska would drill 60 or 70 points into a hapless foe - and to be fair, there were times they weren't even trying to run it up - and the coverage was, "Wow, what awesome teams!" Miami would be someone 46-14 and it was, "So, did you run it up?" It always amazed me - and as everyone here knows I'm NO fan of Miami - how certain schools could get away with that but others couldn't.

Reactions: CB4 and 81usaf92

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Steve Spurrier - whom the late Tim Wilson noted would run up the score in a pickup church volleyball game - basically said that if you don't like it, stop it.

I can see both arguments here, I guess - but Oklahoma is just not the school to be complaining about this. I'm old enough to remember when OU or Nebraska would drill 60 or 70 points into a hapless foe - and to be fair, there were times they weren't even trying to run it up - and the coverage was, "Wow, what awesome teams!" Miami would be someone 46-14 and it was, "So, did you run it up?" It always amazed me - and as everyone here knows I'm NO fan of Miami - how certain schools could get away with that but others couldn't.
well there are a lot on here that hate Missouri and aTm but love Nebraska when the latter are by far the most insufferable out of the 3.

Oklahoma still gets credit for winning the 2000 NCG. Oklahoma, Nebraska, and USC get way too much credit for everything. Watch it.… if next year is 3-0 out the gate they will be a top 15 team going into the Oklahoma game. But if Arkansas is 4-0 heading into Alabama then they will just barely be in top 25. Oklahoma and Nebraska favoritism is real.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I seem to recall in the early 1970’s a Bryant coached team destroyed a Va Tech team 77-6. This was with Bryant playing 3rd and 4th string players most of the second half. As the old saying “he played everyone, including the water boy”.

Bryant felt terrible about it. Even apologized to the Va Tech head. He made it a point on his coach’s show the next day to express how embarrassed he was by it. He liked winning. But humiliating an opponent is uncalled for.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.