Lincoln Riley Takes Shot at Georgia/SEC or Compliments Big 12 Offenses?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

I see his statement as neither even if he claims he's complimenting his own conference. It's really highlighting the difference in styles among the conferences.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And here's a reality Mr. Lincoln has to also face, though he won't address it publicly. OU unloaded everything they had on Georgia and Georgia basically said "Yo Tommy! I didn't hear no bell!" and commenced to curb stomping OU's defense and making holes that three grown men could walk through side by side. Georgia showed (like Alabama has time after time) they can play your game and beat you at your own game. But you can't play theirs and do the same.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Conversely, if you throw Chokelahoma into the SEC their offense isn't a top 5 either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends on what offense you’re talking about. OU would’ve crushed basically every defense in the SEC last year. The problem is that they probably could only stop about half of the SEC offenses last year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Depends on what offense you’re talking about. OU would’ve crushed basically every defense in the SEC last year. The problem is that they probably could only stop about half of the SEC offenses last year.
I think over the course of an SEC season their offense (because of the physicality of the style of play) would wear down and slow down. Playing one SEC team (maybe two) per year is a lot different than playing a schedule full of them.

Case in point. They scored 31 pts in the first half and only 14 pts in the second half of regulation. Got a FG in first OT. In other words the more UGA played against their offense the better they got at defending it.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Conversely, if you throw Chokelahoma into the SEC their offense isn't a top 5 either.
I'd like to know what an impartial intern - Botch - makes of this assertion, having had the SONARs holding up three fingers when down by 17 in 2015 before Botchulism set in on UcheaT and they lost in double OT.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think over the course of an SEC season their offense (because of the physicality of the style of play) would wear down and slow down. Playing one SEC team (maybe two) per year is a lot different than playing a schedule full of them.

Case in point. They scored 31 pts in the first half and only 14 pts in the second half of regulation. Got a FG in first OT. In other words the more UGA played against their offense the better they got at defending it.
Yeah but they did that against one of the three best defenses in the SEC. imagine what they would do to MSU, Ole miss, LSU, aTm, Arkansas, Vandy, Mizzou, etc.

My point is that the SEC is very top heavy.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Yeah but they did that against one of the three best defenses in the SEC. imagine what they would do to MSU, Ole miss, LSU, aTm, Arkansas, Vandy, Mizzou, etc.
Again, playing physical football has an cumulative effect. Alabama is one of the most well conditioned, physically superior teams in the country every year. Yet it never fails, by the time we've played 7 to 8 games into the season we are beat to death tired. It shows in the LSU, MSU and many times Auburn games. Yet amazingly when we have two weeks rest we come out like gang busters. If it has that impact on us I can only imagine what type impact it would have on OU or lessor Big 12 teams.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Again, playing physical football has an accumulative effect. Alabama is one of the most well conditioned, physically superior teams in the country every year. Yet it never fails, by the time we've played 7 to 8 games into the season we are beat to death tired. It shows in the LSU, MSU and many times Auburn games. Yet amazingly when we have two weeks rest we come out like gang busters. If it has that impact on us I can only imagine what type impact it would have on OU or lessor Big 12 teams.
2012 Johnny only got stronger with a comparable offense, and Baker is way better than Johnny

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
2012 Johnny only got stronger with a comparable offense, and Baker is way better than Johnny
I would say that was a time period before SEC teams really made an effort to defend those type offense. It wasn't long after that when CNS and other SEC teams started recruiting and training different. We do much, much better against those offenses in 2017/2018 than we did in 2012.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Did Stoops come back? Seriously, when will Big 12 coaches learn? They rip the SEC every year as being overrated, then they get beat on the field.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

My point is that the SEC is very top heavy.
They may have put up some numbers on those defenses but those teams listed have better defenses than Baylor, Kansas, Texas Tech, Iowa St, OSU, KSU, WVU so their yds/game and pts/game would be less playing SEC defenses. And weigh in the accumulative effect as Buzzard has mentioned OU's offensive stats would go down.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
So Riley seems to be implying that the only reason SEC teams have top defenses year after year is because SEC offenses are mostly conservative and don't present much of a challenge. If that's the case though it really shows just how bad the Oklahoma defense really was because Georgia's offense is a low risk, run based offense that scored 54 points against Riley's defense.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Do I believe OU’s numbers would go down? Yes but they will easily be the best offense in the SEC and would have plenty of 60 point games. Their difficulty will be with the top 7 teams in the SEC but they would totally clown the bottom half.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I would say that was a time period before SEC teams really made an effort to defend those type offense. It wasn't long after that when CNS and other SEC teams started recruiting and training different. We do much, much better against those offenses in 2017/2018 than we did in 2012.

BINGO - 2012 our starting ILBs were Trey Depriest and Nico Johnson with CJ Mosely as the nickel/dime backer.

Love those guys, but neither TD nor NJ would be seen as ideal starters for us today in the way that we have changed the way we play. CJM was the first in the mold of slightly smaller, but much faster/quicker players at ILB.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The harsh reality - as good as Mayfield was last year, OU would have been the 4th best team in the SEC last year behind Georgia, Alabama and Auburn. They would have won the other P5 conferences, but not the SEC. Riley needs to pick another conference to rip.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The harsh reality - as good as Mayfield was last year, OU would have been the 4th best team in the SEC last year behind Georgia, Alabama and Auburn. They would have won the other P5 conferences, but not the SEC. Riley needs to pick another conference to rip.
That’s fair. I think Auburn full strength and OU would’ve been equal and where that game was played would determine the winner. UGA and UA would have their difficulties with OU but would win in a shootout due to OU’s defense.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

SEC defensive coaches actually study film, imagine that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.