Litter and you're rubbish

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
"A new campaign by the Alabama Department of Transportation highlights both the huge cost of removing roadside trash and the potential penalties for being a litterbug.

The fine for a first conviction for littering is $500, and a second conviction can cost $1,000 plus community service. Lawmakers increased the penalties last year as the cost of removing litter reached $7 million.

The trash highlighted in the 'Trash Costs Cash' public service announcement includes cigarette butts, fast-food trash, plastic bottles and old drink cans."

My only question is...

Why the first conviction is not a $1,000 fine and the 2nd conviction 180 days in jail + $25,000 fine? Any idiot that litters deserves to have money & extreme privileges taken away.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
"A new campaign by the Alabama Department of Transportation highlights both the huge cost of removing roadside trash and the potential penalties for being a litterbug.

The fine for a first conviction for littering is $500, and a second conviction can cost $1,000 plus community service. Lawmakers increased the penalties last year as the cost of removing litter reached $7 million.

The trash highlighted in the 'Trash Costs Cash' public service announcement includes cigarette butts, fast-food trash, plastic bottles and old drink cans."

My only question is...

Why the first conviction is not a $1,000 fine and the 2nd conviction 180 days in jail + $25,000 fine? Any idiot that litters deserves to have money & extreme privileges taken away.
True story.
When I was in college in the 60s I was a litter bug. An Alabaster Police Sergeant stopped me for throwing a drink cup out of my car window.
I had no money. That kind Sgt. gave me a choice of a ticket, or pick up all the trash on that side of highway 31 to the next light. That light was in Pelham. I picked up the trash.
Long story short. I have never littered since that day. That is what I put in my old Walmart bags.
Looking back I wish I had got the name of that old Alabaster Police Sergeant. He did me a favor, and taught me a life lesson.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
True story.
When I was in college in the 60s I was a litter bug. An Alabaster Police Sergeant stopped me for throwing a drink cup out of my car window.
I had no money. That kind Sgt. gave me a choice of a ticket, or pick up all the trash on that side of highway 31 to the next light. That light was in Pelham. I picked up the trash.
Long story short. I have never littered since that day. That is what I put in my old Walmart bags.
Looking back I wish I had got the name of that old Alabaster Police Sergeant. He did me a favor, and taught me a life lesson.
I'm totally OK with that kind of immediate justice, too :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.