LIVE Bear cam: Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This needs moving to the other forum, which I'll do now. BTW, our local bear stories continue. I can't find the news report now, but about a week ago, there was a report of one at The Ledges, which is a pricey neighborhood on the other end of the ridgetop where I live. There was a warning sign, saying the bear was seen on the 8th green. So, what do you do? Skip the 8th? Pelt him with golf balls? I can testify from pelting them with rocks in the Smokys while backpacking, they are very thick-skinned... :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Where are the Park Rangers? Don't these bears know you could lose your footing and be swept away? And the way they are treating the fish?
The rangers there are there to manage the tourists, not the bears. Only very rarely do they move a problem bear and even more rarely destroy one. Mostly, they just try to remind the tourists to stay out of the way of the bears...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
You know, I grilled salmon this evening. Surely it wasn't the power of suggestion... :D
Wild caught sockeye salmon was on sale at Publix last week and I got 2 lbs. myself. Supposed to be a bumper crop this year, I was told, so good news for us salmon eaters.

Haddock for me and Mom yesterday - I brought take out from Boston Fish House over to her. She loves their broc salad too.....munch munch munch......

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wild caught sockeye salmon was on sale at Publix last week and I got 2 lbs. myself. Supposed to be a bumper crop this year, I was told, so good news for us salmon eaters.

Haddock for me and Mom yesterday - I brought take out from Boston Fish House over to her. She loves their broc salad too.....munch munch munch......

You still need to get down to the restaurant where my stepson works... :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Costco has salmon fillets by Morey's, individually vacuum-packed and pre-seasoned for grilling. They take about 20 minutes to thaw and 13-15 minutes to grill. We love them and have bought them for years. That's what we had last evening. I got to enjoy my new Weber grill. I had been using a camping grill after giving my monster infrared CharBroil to my stepson in Nashville. I finally told my wife I had to have a two burner grill and it paid off with these fillets, since one was much thicker. I could turn that burner down...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Just returned from British Columbia last week after catching some salmon. Best trip I've had there and the locals said it is the best fishing in last 20 years or so. Chinook (aka Spring) salmon were catch and release only in the area I was fishing up until 15-JUL; only one per day limit while I was fishing. Plus there is a slot limit that wasn't in place in the past; the keeper must be between 62 cm and 80cm in length. There was a massive rock slide on the Fraser River and the fishery department wants to keep a higher number of salmon available to make the run. It was still catch and release in an area south of where I was fishing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/holding-pen-helicopter-big-bar-salmon-1.5219433

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Just returned from British Columbia last week after catching some salmon. Best trip I've had there and the locals said it is the best fishing in last 20 years or so. Chinook (aka Spring) salmon were catch and release only in the area I was fishing up until 15-JUL; only one per day limit while I was fishing. Plus there is a slot limit that wasn't in place in the past; the keeper must be between 62 cm and 80cm in length. There was a massive rock slide on the Fraser River and the fishery department wants to keep a higher number of salmon available to make the run. It was still catch and release in an area south of where I was fishing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/holding-pen-helicopter-big-bar-salmon-1.5219433
Wow...that sounds like fun! Thanks for the post and info!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
You still need to get down to the restaurant where my stepson works... :)
One day.....

Costco has salmon fillets by Morey's, individually vacuum-packed and pre-seasoned for grilling. They take about 20 minutes to thaw and 13-15 minutes to grill. We love them and have bought them for years. That's what we had last evening. I got to enjoy my new Weber grill. I had been using a camping grill after giving my monster infrared CharBroil to my stepson in Nashville. I finally told my wife I had to have a two burner grill and it paid off with these fillets, since one was much thicker. I could turn that burner down...
Perfect!

I have a 2 burner grill myself......and sometimes feel I could still downsize....:D

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Now I want some fish. It has been far too long since I had some good fish. I think the day before Memorial Day when I made some Cod for my family. I fried some baked some which even my sister's picky kids enjoyed.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One day.....

Perfect!

I have a 2 burner grill myself......and sometimes feel I could still downsize....:D
I'm cooking for two. A couple of weeks ago, we had my nephew up for dinner and I cooked strip steaks. There really just wasn't room on my little one burner grill. In fact, I really didn't have room for two steaks and the aluminum plate liners I like to use to keep the meat warm. This grill is going to be much better...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Now I want some fish. It has been far too long since I had some good fish. I think the day before Memorial Day when I made some Cod for my family. I fried some baked some which even my sister's picky kids enjoyed.
I buy Tilapia fillets from Walmart on occasion and feel they make a pretty good tasting fish if i want to just satisfy my fish fetish. Very economical too.

I always pan fry my fish - House Autry makes a fantastic seasoned breading mix, or you can just use bread crumbs, or panko.

The Haddock dinner in my photo ran around $25....much more than a whole bag of Tilapia fillets.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
LOL......the guy doing the video recording has some stones on him is all I can say!

[video=youtube;rbE53XUtVw0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=rbE53XUtVw0[/video]

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I buy Tilapia fillets from Walmart on occasion and feel they make a pretty good tasting fish if i want to just satisfy my fish fetish. Very economical too.

I always pan fry my fish - House Autry makes a fantastic seasoned breading mix, or you can just use bread crumbs, or panko.

The Haddock dinner in my photo ran around $25....much more than a whole bag of Tilapia fillets.
FWIW, the haddock is a lot healthier than tilapia...

Reactions: UAH

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.