Looking for documentary suggestions

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
I'm a documentary junkie and I need some suggestions; preferably stuff I can stream. Thanks in advance.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Documentary isn't really that descriptive, but Netflix has several in a variety of choices.

Saqqara Tomb was decent and so were Black Holes: The Edge of All We Know and The Most Unknown.
I watch a lot of the "Explained" series on Netflix. There are several of them...The Mind Explained, Money Explained. There's even Sex Explained, but I haven't watched any of those because I'm concerned about what suggestions might appear in my email, or what ads might show up while browsing the net.

Most of the Explained episodes run 20 - 25 minutes, and I watch them while riding a stationary bike.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I watch a lot of the "Explained" series on Netflix. There are several of them...The Mind Explained, Money Explained. There's even Sex Explained, but I haven't watched any of those because I'm concerned about what suggestions might appear in my email, or what ads might show up while browsing the net.

Most of the Explained episodes run 20 - 25 minutes, and I watch them while riding a stationary bike.
David Attenborough has one on my list: Life in Color

I started to watch it late one night and his soothing voice put me to sleep too quickly. :D

Reactions: CrimsonJazz

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Rich & Shameless on HBO Max was interesting.

On Netflix, I have found these enjoyable, interesting or thought provoking:

Meltdown: Three Mile Island
Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey
Web of Make Believe: Death, Lies and the Internet
The Innocence Files (this series will make you mad at our justice system and how law enforcement in this country really only cares about getting any conviction, not the right conviction.)
If I Leave Her Tomorrow: A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Staircase
Dream/Killer
The Tender Swindler
Downfall: The Case Against Boeing (this was so eye opening and floored me about how little Boeing regards human life)
Tread
The Phantom
Bad Sport
The Alpinist

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Forgot to mention one Mrs. Basket Case and I watched on Netflix at the bottom of the pandemic -- Unorthodox. Don't know if it's still available on Netflix or not, but it was 4 episodes well spent.

It's not exactly a documentary, but is based on a true story about a woman trying to leave an ultra-orthodox Jewish community.

The leading role is played by an actress, but the real-life woman does an interview, kind of like, "Making of Unorthodox," where she talks about the full truth and points out some of the artistic license.

Really informative on the customs and insularity of ultra-orthodox Judaism -- they don't want to associate with anyone outside the group and are incredibly suspicious of anyone from outside wanting to communicate with them. They are as different from a Reform synagogue as Scientology is different from the Episcopal church.

Give them credit for devotion to their religion....they definitely walk what they talk. But to a complete outsider, some of it was downright bizarre. The control they wield over all aspects of life reminded me of some other religious sects I've come in contact with.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Another one in addition to what others have posted that you may be interested in is "Primal Survivor-Escape the Amazon". I think you can stream on National Geographic.

The guy spends a few months alone (except for his camera crew) surviving in the Amazon. I thought it was very interesting showing how he gets his food, avoids animals, his sleep habits, his injuries/infections, etc. No way I would be able to do that, but he had wanted to do it since he was a teen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.