Mac Jones Related News (Cam vs. MJ in New England)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Agree. The story about his having to have Mac help him learn the playbook was a plant. And true. As Selma says, it's what he's always been. I was shocked when the Pats signed him originally. It was so out of character for Belichick...
Not really when you saw how bad the OL was and they had virtually nothing at WR. Keep it simple and do what you can with Cam. But I was shocked to when they resigned him and tried to make him into a pure play action pocket passer. Knew that wasn’t happening

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Im a huge cowboy fan, Daks issues to mw were cee dee lamb dropping balls and i think his shoulder is still hurting no zip on his passes
Yeah he is good. You don't throw for 400 yards in the NFL as many times as he has and not be good. I'm not a Cowboy hater. I grew up a Cowboys fans because of my dad, who loved them since they signed LeeRoy Jordan in the 1960s. I just can't stand Jerry Jones and what he's done to the franchise, on the field. He had everything together with Jimmy Johnson and that roster in the early 90s and since then he's run everything into the ground (except their ability to make billions off the field, of course).

And I think Cam's problem is simply his bizarre narcissistic personality. It leads to all this nonsense. Eventually, no matter how much natural talent you have, people just don't want to put up with your drama anymore. I couldn't be happier for Mac and I can't want to see him and Tua go against one another. Here's hoping for a 41-38 type game with both guys throwing for 400+.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not really when you saw how bad the OL was and they had virtually nothing at WR. Keep it simple and do what you can with Cam. But I was shocked to when they resigned him and tried to make him into a pure play action pocket passer. Knew that wasn’t happening
Well, in the public practices and from what leaked from closed, they never even tried to run him in two minute or an empty backfield. So, you have wonder how serious they were about trying to expand his horizons. He simply can't be trusted to know where to to with the ball, hence all the max-protect, two receiver plays. With hindsight, the whole preseason was one long audition for Mac to see if he could handle the offense. Now, I don't think they were ever as close to naming Cam as the starter as the public thought...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Well, in the public practices and from what leaked from closed, they never even tried to run him in two minute or an empty backfield. So, you have wonder how serious they were about trying to expand his horizons. He simply can't be trusted to know where to to with the ball, hence all the max-protect, two receiver plays. With hindsight, the whole preseason was one long audition for Mac to see if he could handle the offense. Now, I don't think they were ever as close to naming Cam as the starter as the public thought...
This was certainly the view of the media present at the practices, at least the ones who offered an opinion. The consensus was, "what are they waiting for, it's obvious who should be starting".

Reactions: Con

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It was very telling that he said in that interview that he had never played in a system in which he has to identify the Mike and adjust protections. Many college offenses, and almost every NFL offense, has the QB doing this because the center is not standing up and cannot see what is happening well enough to do so once he settles over the ball.

IMO, if he has never been asked to do so it is because he was never trusted to diagnose it properly. Now, that does not make him a poor QB. Tua also struggled doing this at Alabama and continues to struggle doing it at Miami. But the great QBs have a much higher understanding of what is happening on the other side of the ball. They are as successful as they are because they recognize what the defense is going to do, and they have a plan to deal with that BEFORE THE BALL IS SNAPPED.

Guys like Cam are very talented physically, but need a lot more help with the rest of the game. And some are smart enough to do it but just don't work on it hard enough, while others just don't have the intelligence to do it. I have no idea where Cam sits in that spectrum.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
It was very telling that he said in that interview that he had never played in a system in which he has to identify the Mike and adjust protections. Many college offenses, and almost every NFL offense, has the QB doing this because the center is not standing up and cannot see what is happening well enough to do so once he settles over the ball.

IMO, if he has never been asked to do so it is because he was never trusted to diagnose it properly. Now, that does not make him a poor QB. Tua also struggled doing this at Alabama and continues to struggle doing it at Miami. But the great QBs have a much higher understanding of what is happening on the other side of the ball. They are as successful as they are because they recognize what the defense is going to do, and they have a plan to deal with that BEFORE THE BALL IS SNAPPED.

Guys like Cam are very talented physically, but need a lot more help with the rest of the game. And some are smart enough to do it but just don't work on it hard enough, while others just don't have the intelligence to do it. I have no idea where Cam sits in that spectrum.
The higher up the football food chain you go, the more important smarts are for the QB. I was amazed that Tua struggled in reading defenses, but in retrospect Tua's ability and that of his WR's just outflanked all defenses not named Clemson.

Cam would just take over a game with his physical ability and no one could stop him. He even did that several times at the NFL level...but eventually they caught up with him. We all have tendencies, and if the opponent discovers ours before we do, then we're in trouble.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
You're talking about a guy that needed cartoon boards to get the plays out to him... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.