Mac Jones Related News (Cam vs. MJ in New England)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Everyone gets all giddy about the mobile quarterback, ala Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson, but as several have already said, the chances of a mobile quarterback having as long of a career as a predominantly pocket quarterback aren't as great. Just too many opportunities to get hit and those hits begin to accumulate and take a toll on the body.
Robert Griffin III says hello as well...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Robert Griffin III says hello as well...
I'd say Cam is more in the Andrew Luck category than the RGIII category. Still moves just fine. It's been shoulder issues that have derailed his career, specifically the one caused by this particular hit.

If he manages to get his arm back in order he may have a few good seasons left. Big if though.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'd say Cam is more in the Andrew Luck category than the RGIII category. Still moves just fine. It's been shoulder issues that have derailed his career, specifically the one caused by this particular hit.

If he manages to get his arm back in order he may have a few good seasons left. Big if though.
He is just a typical Dan Mullen quarterback. Slightly above Average arm, mobile, big body, and breaks down after a few good hits. Tebow, Dak, and Cam are more or less the same quarterback with varying degrees of success.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
He is just a typical Dan Mullen quarterback. Slightly above Average arm, mobile, big body, and breaks down after a few good hits. Tebow, Dak, and Cam are more or less the same quarterback with varying degrees of success.
Eh not fair to lump him with Tebow. I'll give you Dak. Cam at least has (or had) NFL quality arm strength and accuracy. Just never had anyone to throw it to besides Olsen and Smith (for two years) or a proper line to keep him from eating hits like that.

Tebow was a great college QB and not much else.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Scrambles are different from designed runs, and a lot of Cam's runs were by design. Yeah, anyone is going to take a lot of punishment with that sort of load.

I place a lot of blame on Carolina and their personnel decisions for how Cam's career has gone. He basically had 1 guy that could be called a playmaker at WR during his tenure there and that was Steve Smith. After that it was a parade of guys that had little business on anyone's depth chart at WR and Olsen. As a result they pretty much had to put the load on Cam's legs and it's never a good thing to see your QB getting smacked on designed runs that will pretty much guarantee he's going to rack up hits. Cam also had a legit beef with the refs on some of the hits he took. Hits that would have been flags on Tom Brady, for instance, never drew flags from the officials because, hey, it's Cam Newton.

Carolina never struck when the iron was hot and went all in on surrounding Cam with personnel that could get the job done like KC and Seattle have with Mahomes and Wilson.

Tennessee, IMO, did a hell of a job with Henry. Brought him along slowly and he still has a ton of tread on the tires as a result.
Tennessee was stupid. They weren't convinced he was who he is, therefore they wasted 1 1/2 years of his prime. They were fortunate that he broke out when he did or they might have let him go elsewhere. It's not their plan that has contributed anything to Derrick. (Tenn still does not throw to him enough.)

TE said in this thread that Cam was Derrick Henry with an arm. Cam is big but that's where the comparisons end. Cam doesn't begin to compare to Derrick as a runner, nor should he.

Derrick is grossly underpaid. If he gets seriously injured or the Titans are stupid, which is entirely possible, in thinking that at the end of this contract (he will be 29) that he is through, they will throw him away or let him go elsewhere (I don't blame mgmt too much since they have to look out for the welfare of the entire franchise, but if anyone deserves preferential treatment it's Derrick). I hope he gets one more real contract. If anyone deserves it he does.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Tennessee was stupid. They weren't convinced he was who he is, therefore they wasted 1 1/2 years of his prime. They were fortunate that he broke out when he did or they might have let him go elsewhere. It's not their plan that has contributed anything to Derrick. (Tenn still does not throw to him enough.)

TE said in this thread that Cam was Derrick Henry with an arm. Cam is big but that's where the comparisons end. Cam doesn't begin to compare to Derrick as a runner, nor should he.

Derrick is grossly underpaid. If he gets seriously injured or the Titans are stupid, which is entirely possible, in thinking that at the end of this contract (he will be 29) that he is through, they will throw him away or let him go elsewhere (I don't blame mgmt too much since they have to look out for the welfare of the entire franchise, but if anyone deserves preferential treatment it's Derrick). I hope he gets one more real contract. If anyone deserves it he does.
Tennessee also passed on Brady last year for Tannehill who was far cheaper to have and even at his old age is more effective than Tannehill.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Cam is still the biggest, best all around athlete I have ever seen succeed at QB. The success he had in college was due to this...so was most of the success in the NFL. When you are that good of an athlete, often you will rely on that ability rather than mastering the offensive system. We all slow down as we age and that approach will eventually turn out to be your achilles' heel. IMHO, Cam is place-holding for MJ while CBB lowers the expectation level before MJ starts. At this stage MJ's ability and brain will combine to out perform Cam...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

My comparison really was about the build and i should have clarified that.

I don't think Cam could line up at RB and do the things that Henry does. But he's as big as Henry, does have amazing athleticism for a QB, and frankly he does have an all-pro arm. There are throws that Cam has made that very very few QBs can make.

But Carolina screwed him.

And I agree wholeheartedly with you that Tennessee is squandering Henry as well.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I think the Titans are trying. Going out and getting Julio to complement AJ Brown was a pretty big deal, their o-line is good, Tannehill is a serviceable starter in an era where reliable QB play is tough because of the dearth of arms out there. I mean Ryan flipping Fitzpatrick can still find a job these days lol. Missing twice in a row on QBs in the draft did them no favors either, with Locker and Mariota being busts.

I get the complaint about not going after Brady, but Tannehill was coming of a pro bowl season and they had lost a relatively tight AFC Championship game against the Chiefs. It's understandable why they decided to roll with him rather than take a risk on Brady.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think the Titans are trying. Going out and getting Julio to complement AJ Brown was a pretty big deal, their o-line is good, Tannehill is a serviceable starter in an era where reliable QB play is tough because of the dearth of arms out there. I mean Ryan flipping Fitzpatrick can still find a job these days lol. Missing twice in a row on QBs in the draft did them no favors either, with Locker and Mariota being busts.

I get the complaint about not going after Brady, but Tannehill was coming of a pro bowl season and had they lost a relatively tight AFC Championship game against the Chiefs. It's understandable why they decided to roll with him rather than take a risk on Brady.
Hindsight and all, but they probably win the Super Bowl with Brady.

I'm hoping Julio makes the difference for them but I have so little confidence in Tannehill.

Reactions: bamagradinATL

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Derrick would be the first to admit a lot of that was on him:

El Tractorcito said:
"He shot me straight. It was what I needed to hear. He told me I needed to be more physical and finish runs, make the defense pay," Henry said. "He told me I could play better, and I wasn’t playing to my potential. It gave me a different outlook. The mindset, when I talked to Eddie, it was mind over matter. It's either going to be you or me and it ain't going to be me."
Now regarding his pay, he's actually doing pretty good in an era when RBs are considered a dime a dozen. I do think he's the most valuable RB in the league and he's sitting at number 5 after McCaffrey, Cook, Zeke and Kamara.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Hindsight and all, but they probably win the Super Bowl with Brady.

I'm hoping Julio makes the difference for them but I have so little confidence in Tannehill.
I have a little more faith in Tannehill than you. 33 TDs compared to 7 picks, 3800 yards and a division championship speaks for itself. I mean he isn't Brady but he isn't exactly Trent Dilfer either lol. In fact his QBR was actually slightly better than the GOAT's this past year.

I expect his stats to improve a lot with the addition of Julio. If Julio can give even 75% of his usual production then Tannehill easily breaks 4500 yards and 40 TDs.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I have a little more faith in Tannehill than you. 33 TDs compared to 7 picks, 3800 yards and a division championship speaks for itself. I mean he isn't Brady but he isn't exactly Trent Dilfer either lol. In fact his QBR was actually slightly better than the GOAT's this past year.

I expect his stats to improve a lot with the addition of Julio. If Julio can give even 75% of his usual production then Tannehill easily breaks 4500 yards and 40 TDs.
I’ll take Brady’s yards and touchdowns in a tougher division over Tannehill’s slightly better qbr in a Mickey Mouse division.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I think he's good enough to get them close. I'm just not sure he's good enough to get them across the line.

Julio should definitely help.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I’ll take Brady’s yards and touchdowns in a tougher division over Tannehill’s slightly better qbr in a Mickey Mouse division.
Huh? Neither division is particularly good. Both are top heavy. Colts and Titans are good in the AFC South while the Jags and Texans are trash (especially the Jags, oof). Saints and Bucs are good in the NFC South while the Falcons and Panthers are trash.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Huh? Neither division is particularly good. Both are top heavy. Colts and Titans are good in the AFC South while the Jags and Texans are trash (especially the Jags, oof). Saints and Bucs are good in the NFC South while the Falcons and Panthers are trash.
. The AFC South is by far one of the worst divisions in the NFL. The NFC South had far more dangerous offenses last year. Waking up knowing you had Old man Rivers for two games, a team Bill O’Brien butchered, and Laugherville is a lot easier than waking up knowing you might have to score 40 because Matt Ryan and Julio are on, wondering how to stop Mccaffery , and playing the Saints twice. The NFC South is a lot harder to get through.

Reactions: The Ols

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
. The AFC South is by far one of the worst divisions in the NFL. The NFC South had far more dangerous offenses last year. Waking up knowing you had Old man Rivers for two games, a team Bill O’Brien butchered, and Laugherville is a lot easier than waking up knowing you might have to score 40 because Matt Ryan and Julio are on, wondering how to stop Mccaffery , and playing the Saints twice. The NFC South is a lot harder to get through.
The thought of having to stop McCaffrey and Julio would be scary for Tampa had they actually had to face either of them last year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Wow we really went off the rails here.
You think?

But since it was brought up: As much as I like DH, I don't think you can ride a RB to a championship. It'll be the QB that gets them there and puts them over the top.

And no, I still don't like Cam because of that crazy interview he did when they asked if he was paid and he smiled like a kid who ate all the cookies from the cookie jar.

Reactions: AUDub

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
How dare you say bad things about the Failcons. Something something Matt Ryan and stats and stuff.

Reactions: AUDub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.