Mac Jones Related News (Cam vs. MJ in New England)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Tannehill is faster than Mahomes and probably a better athlete (Tannehill was a WR his first 2 years at A&M.) but of course not the passer and can't even make some of PM's throws. Mac Jones is faster than PM, though Mahomes is the better athlete. RT 4.65, PM 4.8, MJ 4.74 - against stereotype.
What makes Mahomes so dangerous isn't his speed but how pants on head ridiculously elusive he is, how well he senses pressure in the pocket, his movement within said pocket and his sense for knowing when he needs to bail.

A lot of people bag on him for that Super Bowl loss but the offense being discombobulated wasn't on him. I mean it does look bad if you're serpentining 20 yards behind the initial LOS but he really didn't have much choice. Think he ran around for close to 500 yards trying to escape pressure all game. Even then he made several great throws on which his receivers let him down.

If anything that game should have shown people how quickly things can go sideways if your offensive line isn't cohesive. They were down 2 starters and the Bucs were getting immediate pressure from the snap all night.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
What makes Mahomes so dangerous isn't his speed but how pants on head ridiculously elusive he is, how well he senses pressure in the pocket, his movement within said pocket and his sense for knowing when he needs to bail.

A lot of people bag on him for that Super Bowl loss but the offense being discombobulated wasn't on him. I mean it does look bad if you're serpentining 20 yards behind the initial LOS but he really didn't have much choice. Think he ran around for close to 500 yards trying to escape pressure all game. Even then he made several great throws on which his receivers let him down.

If anything that game should have shown people how quickly things can go sideways if your offensive line isn't cohesive. They were down 2 starters and the Bucs were getting immediate pressure from the snap all night.
Mahomes acknowledged after the game that he had shorter throws that he should have taken rather than trying to extend the play looking for a larger gain. He is still learning. The OL was bad but not as bad as he made it look.

Btw, I agree with PM's ability to make "off platform" throws like no one since Elway. That's what I was alluding to when saying Tannehill could not make many of the throws that PM does. Just like RT does not make pre and post snap reads and quick decisions like Brady - though they are not as obvious.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If I want a Super Bowl, I'm going with Brady and it's not really close. Winning 7 rings is no accident. He was never just a role player on any of these teams. He was the leader. And frankly, he was never surrounded with the most talented skill players in the league either. That may have been the case when they went 16-0 and lost to the Giants in Super Bowl, ironically.

I hope Mac Jones is the next Brady. And that's as much because of Brady's talent as it is the wins.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Mahomes acknowledged after the game that he had shorter throws that he should have taken rather than trying to extend the play looking for a larger gain. He is still learning. The OL was bad but not as bad as he made it look.
Gut instinct on that is that he was just trying to humbly accept the loss post game without speaking ill of any of his boys. A good thing. Shows a lot of character and leadership on his part.

I watched the whole game and yeah that line play was every bit as bad as I've been alluding to. I mean:

Yeah, there were a few things he could have done better for sure, but I think the Chiefs injuries on the line and lack of polished receivers was glaring in this one. They put the clamps on Tyreek and contained Kelce. Kelce still got his yards but the Bucs overall did a great job containing him within an envelope. Combine that with the relentless pressure and it's no wonder he couldn't get to his third read before he had to bail on the pocket.

As for his check downs, they sort of had to go for broke for a reason. Bucs jumped out to a big lead early and when you're fighting just to stay in the game sometimes it pays to move away from the dink and dunk.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
If I want a Super Bowl, I'm going with Brady and it's not really close. Winning 7 rings is no accident. He was never just a role player on any of these teams. He was the leader. And frankly, he was never surrounded with the most talented skill players in the league either…
To paraphrase Herb Brooks, the Pats won with Brady because they took individual talent and harnessed it within a system that worked for the betterment of the team.

The Pats have let plenty of top tier talent move on, with productive years remaining, when their contract demands would’ve been detrimental to the team. Brady, in contrast, has given up between $60M and $100M in salary over his career (Source: Business Insider) to provide cap room to hire other talent around him. Brady at New England was more than talent; he was talent, with leadership oozing from every pore, in a system that prioritized a team-first approach. That’s why Belichick‘s taking Cam Newton was so puzzling to me: I never saw him as a leader fit for the Patriots’ mold. It’s also why I am happy to see Mac there, because he clearly is Brady-esque in his intangibles…

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's hard to argue with Brady being the GOAT, what makes him the GOAT, he's a true "Field General' in all sense of the meaning..

Look at how bad New England's offense looked without him & look at how good The Buc's offense looked with him as their QB..Not many QB's has that kinda affect on teams with or without him..JMO

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Brady is one of the greats to play the game but he's not my choice for goat.
Could have made this argument years ago but at this point idk how you argue anyone else over him.

Maybe Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders would have arguments if you ignored longevity and positional value and simply focus on ability on the field but even then the argument is fairly weak at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: CoachJeff and Con
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.