Mac Jones Related News (Cam vs. MJ in New England)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Cowherd is actually spot on.
I agree for the most part with what CC said. (Btw, though I rarely listen to him or anyone else for that matter, I've always thought he was OK.) But Mac played mostly against 2s and 3s not 4s; but more importantly the week that Cam was absent, NE practiced vs the Giants and Mac played vs their starting defense and absolutely tore it up and the Giants were upset about it. They game-planned practice the next day :). Something like 35-40 for many yards and multiple TDs. It was probably the final proof to CBB of his readiness, who both high-fived and low-fived Mac during that practice.

IMO, Mac's ceiling is much higher than CC thinks. He still doesn't get it: Whether it's Brady or Mac or Manning, if you are super football-smart being able to immediately diagnose the D both pre and post snap and are able to quickly and accurately get rid of the ball, you will be highly successful even in today's NFL. Mac doesn't need a great or even very good OL, just a good one - he is good in the pocket and tough. He does need another WR or 2. Brady and Mac have a big advantage over Manning because they can perform on the big stage. No one in US pro sports has had ice water like Brady and since Saban inculcated a "next play" mentality in him, Mac seems to have poise at least in the same zip code.

The ability to quickly process info negates the need for scrambling ability, with the added benefit of making the receivers happy and providing a more consistent rhythm and tempo to the offense. Even his mediocre (apparently enough) arm-strength is relieved by having a split-second more time to get the ball to the right spot.

Btw, Mac is a little faster than Mahomes, Watson and Tua, though not nearly the athlete or as strong as PM or DW and though he can throw on the move, he can't throw "off-platform" like either. But who can make some of the throws PM can? I guess Elway in the past and Rogers now can make most of them. But none of those 3 have the drive and especially poise that Brady has and hopefully Mac.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Can you summarize so I don't have to listen to him? :)
-More said this was the last straw of a line of issues that happened between Cam and the Patriots
- The competition was close but it was more that Cam angered the organization than Mac outright won it
- the Patriots leaked a lot of information on purpose to show their frustrations.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree for the most part with what CC said. (Btw, though I rarely listen to him or anyone else for that matter, I've always thought he was OK.) But Mac played mostly against 2s and 3s not 4s; but more importantly the week that Cam was absent, NE practiced vs the Giants and Mac played vs their starting defense and absolutely tore it up and the Giants were upset about it. They game-planned practice the next day :). Something like 35-40 for many yards and multiple TDs. It was probably the final proof to CBB of his readiness, who both high-fived and low-fived Mac during that practice.

IMO, Mac's ceiling is much higher than CC thinks. He still doesn't get it: Whether it's Brady or Mac or Manning, if you are super football-smart being able to immediately diagnose the D both pre and post snap and are able to quickly and accurately get rid of the ball, you will be highly successful even in today's NFL. Mac doesn't need a great or even very good OL, just a good one - he is good in the pocket and tough. He does need another WR or 2. Brady and Mac have a big advantage over Manning because they can perform on the big stage. No one in US pro sports has had ice water like Brady and since Saban inculcated a "next play" mentality in him, Mac seems to have poise at least in the same zip code.

The ability to quickly process info negates the need for scrambling ability, with the added benefit of making the receivers happy and providing a more consistent rhythm and tempo to the offense. Even his mediocre (apparently enough) arm-strength is relieved by having a split-second more time to get the ball to the right spot.

Btw, Mac is a little faster than Mahomes, Watson and Tua, though not nearly the athlete or as strong as PM or DW and though he can throw on the move, he can't throw "off-platform" like either. But who can make some of the throws PM can? I guess Elway in the past and Rogers now can make most of them. But none of those 3 have the drive and especially poise that Brady has and hopefully Mac.
Well everyone that talks about Mac’s ceiling in this way is referring to his lack of running mobility. They think a dink and dunker is a dinosaur quarterback but it’s really still relevant.

Reactions: SavannahDare

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
-More said this was the last straw of a line of issues that happened between Cam and the Patriots
- The competition was close but it was more that Cam angered the organization than Mac outright won it
- the Patriots leaked a lot of information on purpose to show their frustrations.
I treated some of it over in the Covid/SEC thread. However, CC has been saying for months that Jones was a mistake, so this is also a convenient fallback for him...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Count me among those who believe the running QB in the pros is a passing fad...
I think the Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes types are rare. Russell Wilson and the old Ben Roethlisberger types are more successful. But what you notice is that all of them have had serious injuries early in the career and are always prone to being injured.

I think the Brady and Mac types are better investments.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think the Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes types are rare. Russell Wilson and the old Ben Roethlisberger types are more successful. But what you notice is that all of them have had serious injuries early in the career and are always prone to being injured.

I think the Brady and Mac types are better investments.
Rodgers is sort of a hybrid. Mahomes is still young. There are a bunch of early retirees who were "dual-purpose." Cam himself is basically a cripple...

Reactions: bama2112 and Con

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Rodgers is sort of a hybrid. Mahomes is still young. There are a bunch of early retirees who were "dual-purpose." Cam himself is basically a cripple...
Honestly Cam should have looked at Ben Roethlisberger’s and Russell Wilson’s careers and understood that you need to learn how to throw because being a glorified fullback is unsustainable.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
That, or there'll be an unsurpassing fad of an ever-shortening shelf life for NFL QBs.
there will be a shortage of supply. High schools have incorporated the dual threat qb into their offensive planning because they don’t require as big of a need for a true passer at that level. They can run an offense without the need of a deep passing game.

will create an ever increasing shortage of the pro style QB

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Here ya go:

Cowherd: “I…blah blah blah…
“Me…blah blah blah…
“My…blah blah blah…
“Look at me…yada yada yada…
“I’m never wrong…yada yada yada…
“I am the smartest man I know…yada yada yada…”
Cowherd is Mike Greenberg if he was from Knoxville. None of the charm, but all of the hot air.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
there will be a shortage of supply. High schools have incorporated the dual threat qb into their offensive planning because they don’t require as big of a need for a true passer at that level. They can run an offense without the need of a deep passing game.

I think this is correct. Until the economics of it become clear and the NFL management realize again what valuable commodity an outstanding QB is. The present attitude of wanting the QB to double as a running back and bowl people over instead of sliding will be self-limiting...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I think the reason for Brady's long career is the simple physics: getting a 300 defensive end up and moving at full speed takes time, and frequently by the time that guy gets up and moving at full speed, Brady has already thrown the ball, so that DE does not get to hit Brady very often, quite rarely in fact. Brady is the anti-Tua in that regard. Tua played college ball as if the believed he could score a TD on every play.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think the reason for Brady's long career is the simple physics: getting a 300 defensive end up and moving at full speed takes time, and frequently by the time that guy gets up and moving at full speed, Brady has already thrown the ball, so that DE does not get to hit Brady very often, quote rarely in fact. Brady is the anti-Tua in that regard. Too played college ball as if the believed he could score a TD on every play.
On target...Tua is having to learn to release the ball much earlier and settle for 8 yards rather than 80. Avoiding a hit is as much science as it is art.

May 4, 2003
Larnaca, Cyprus
On target...Tua is having to learn to release the ball much earlier and settle for 8 yards rather than 80. Avoiding a hit is as much science as it is art.
Steeler great Franco Harris hot criticized a lot when he was playing for stepping out of bounds rather than take a hit to get an extra yard. He would say why should I get hit if I don’t need that yard?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Steeler great Franco Harris hot criticized a lot when he was playing for stepping out of bounds rather than take a hit to get an extra yard. He would say why should I get hit if I don’t need that yard?
Reggie Bush has a famous play ball the Steelers in which he flips over defenders. The media once asked him years later what he thought of it, and he basically said it made him realize that the sideline is his friend and is the difference between a 3 year career and a 10 year one because those defensive linemen are nearly as quick as he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.