Mahomes signs biggest NFL contract EVER

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Given we're in a COVID-induced extended offseason, this one's going here.

"The Chiefs and Super Bowl MVP quarterback Patrick Mahomes have reached agreement on a 10-year contract extension that ties him to Kansas City through the 2031 season, the team announced Monday.

League sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the deal is worth $450 million over the 10-year period, and could be worth up to $503 million. The extension includes a $140 million injury guarantee, as well as a no-trade clause."

Tua's contract extension in 2024 should aim for $600 million over 8 years :D

Discuss...

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Well since he is still young then if he stays healthy they will get alot of quality wins out of this contract over the course of a decade. However, I remember someone talking about the Patriots dynasty saying that no player gets a max contract. Not even Tom Brady. I think this contract makes it harder to manage the rest of the roster in the coming years. You MAY be set at QB but what about the guys that keep the QB on his feet instead of his back?

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
That seems like a lot. The young man has no doubt earned it, and best of luck to him and the franchise.

However purely as a matter of practicality, there are a few dozen other fellows on the team, who also expect to get paid. And it might be worthwhile considering what kind of team makeup might be helpful in terms of winning games and championships. So, you know, a hundred million here, a hundred million there, might make a difference to that, if you like to win.

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Love his personality and style of play, but the Chiefs are going to regret spending that much money at one position, IMO.

Dude is half a billionaire at 24 years old. 🤑

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Idiots have been in charge in KC for a long time. Still shocked they won last year. They will not be able to afford Mahomes any help at all.
I still predict at least 1 more super bowl during his contract. The NFL is a QB league. However on the last 3 years of his contract I think they are regretting this.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Idiots have been in charge in KC for a long time. Still shocked they won last year. They will not be able to afford Mahomes any help at all.
Well tbf they haven’t had anyone since Montana and Derrick Thomas that has given them this much production. It’s a little pricy, but I think the point is that they don’t want to constantly negotiate with him.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
And, as the money dries up under the cap, by whom will he be surrounded? He made his money and his children’s children very wealthy (if he’s smart about it) but he will have average to below average supporting cast.

I still contend that super stars should try and get a good contract for themselves but add lots of disclaimers about their supporting cast. A super star QB should demand money being spent on his OL and WR. A super star DB should demand money on DL and edge rushers.
I just don’t get it but I also will never sniff a multi million dollar contract.

Reactions: UAllday

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I still predict at least 1 more super bowl during his contract. The NFL is a QB league. However on the last 3 years of his contract I think they are regretting this.
Predicting Super Bowl might as well be predicting the power ball. I remember after Aaron Rodgers won one there were a lot saying that it was the first of many. 10 years later and he hasn’t been to another one. The only qbs that have been to multiple since 2010 are Brady, Peyton, and Russell Wilson. The only one to win multiple in that time period is Brady. Right now only Ben Roethlisberger and Brady are the only active quarterbacks to have multiple rings with Ben’s last coming in 2008.

It’s harder to win and/or get to a super bowl than win and/or get to a CFPNCG.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think all players on the team should receive the same salary, given the times we're in. Seems only fair.
I know that you know it will never happen, ever! That would mean that a lot of players would have to give up a lot of money.

Everyone is "me first"... :rolleyes:

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
The No Trade Clause is the most interesting aspect of the contract because of the length and when the pressure finally comes down to a point of diminishing returns in the later years, it gives Mahomes the most control of where he can go next if he opts to wave it and move on. But $45mil a year is a pretty good salary at his age to play a sport you love. His agent is probably doing 1 handed cartwheels down the hallway with that commission check bonus for the year. :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.