Link: Marina fire in Jackson Co. destroys 35 boats, marina, and kills eight...

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
I was watching the news on this and a couple of the interviews and it's just tragic. One of the people was saying that they were trying to get their boat out but it spread so quickly a burning boat bumped into theirs so they had to dive into the water as their boat began to burn. It will be interesting to know how it started if they are ever going to find out exactly.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
My wife and I watch WSFA every morning. They hardly mentioned this yesterday morning or today. Yet they have time for weather every 3 minutes and sent Bethany out to cover the new traffic light on Eastern Blvd 2 days straight. Local news is infuriating at times. Skip a few weather segments and do some real reporting.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I was watching the news on this and a couple of the interviews and it's just tragic. One of the people was saying that they were trying to get their boat out but it spread so quickly a burning boat bumped into theirs so they had to dive into the water as their boat began to burn. It will be interesting to know how it started if they are ever going to find out exactly.
totally a wild guess here but I'm predicting a heating unit (i.e. kerosene/gas, etc) was being used improperly or overheated/shorted.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
From the local reports here, it appears that the marina was essentially like a mobile home park on water. It was the primary residence of most, if not all, of the occupants. In view of the temps were seeing during that stretch of time, I'd say Brett's educated guess is a good one...

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Many if not all the marina's I know of have some electrical outlets on them, could also be someone tapped into one to use an electric space heater. Last report I saw said that the boat that may be the original source of the fire had been found and authorities are trying to remove it so that they can investigate it. It wouldn't be the first time a kerosene/gas heating unit was used improperly. Person died at Talladega by having an LP gas heater in their tent.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Many if not all the marina's I know of have some electrical outlets on them, could also be someone tapped into one to use an electric space heater. Last report I saw said that the boat that may be the original source of the fire had been found and authorities are trying to remove it so that they can investigate it. It wouldn't be the first time a kerosene/gas heating unit was used improperly. Person died at Talladega by having an LP gas heater in their tent.
I came closer than I like to think to a sailboat fire once with a white gas stove which was properly gimballed. I managed to smother it...

Reactions: Islander

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.