Marquis Hollywood Browns’ status?

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018
Not much out there. Just curious what the verdict is. Anyone know?

Having the top WR out, certainly won’t help OU.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Re: Marquis Hollywood Browns’ status. ?

From what I’ve read he’s in track to play. Being 100% is a different matter....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

IG post from team arrival in S. Florida...street clothes/ no boot. My guess is he'll play but not at 100%.
Pretty close to what I expected. Tua won't be at 100% either. It'll be interesting to see how their nagging injuries affect their playing. Tua's affected his throwing, after the first series against UGA. If he can't plant against OU, it will certainly show again. OTOH, Brown's injury is more likely to affect his cutting and, probably, his speed. Both would certainly slow OU's vertical game...

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Marquis Hollywood Browns’ status?

It does seem like reports, lack of practice etc indicate Brown could definitely be substantially short of 100%.. but where are you getting your "Tua won't be at 100% either." ?

Tua had his surgery Dec 2nd,.. has been ahead of schedule (which is 14 days roughly) and is quite literally gaining confidence in that ankle by the day , now.. in Miami.

Tua said himself that his Ankle was 100%, he was 100%,.. and if he weren't HE shouldn't be the one out there. Which , to be honest,.. given Jalen's play this year -- Is , perhaps, a more potent statement than we might otherwise give it credit for.

I see Tua going into this Oklahoma game healthier than he's been since the start of Arkansas. 4 solid weeks to heal a High ankle sprain with the state of the art procedure to shorten the heal time in half basically.. thus giving Tua 2x the window he otherwise would have had.

The footage we do have of Tua shows some fairly significant and impressive progression day to day and that was 10+ days ago. Tua has stated he hasn't been limited in drills aside from Practice 1 and 2 (maybe a little in 3). He seems confident. Short of Tua getting injured yet again in some other way I think he has the ability going in to play the game of the season. I don't suspect (other than initial energy) this Oklahoma defense is particularly physical and I trust the Bama Offense to keep Tua with a clean pocket most of this game.

But if I've missed some development about Tua not being healed up.. do let me know.
Feeling and looking 100% in practice isn't the same as being 100% in a high stakes game situation. But as long as he's confident, can make his throws, scramble and run, and avoid reinjury, he will be fine.

He says he will be 80% to 85%. That can mean anything. But with that, my statement still stands.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

"Hollywood" has to be one of the most obnoxious nicknames. I know nothing about him personally so maybe there's a good story behind the moniker but it's a hard pass for me..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

"Hollywood" has to be one of the most obnoxious nicknames. I know nothing about him personally so maybe there's a good story behind the moniker but it's a hard pass for me..
I regarded Hollywood Robinson's nickname as a handicap. It's as if he felt he had to live up to it...

Trjtrjtrj

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2018

Actually, he went by the nickname "Jet" and evidently liked it.

The nickname "Hollywood" was a Gus Johnson (sports announcer) creation based on the fact that Brown comes from Hollywood, Florida. Brown didn't like the new nickname at first, but its taken on a life of its own at this point and he's probably grown to accept it.

I will say this -- he's been a star this year. I hope he's near 100% -- we need him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Actually, he went by the nickname "Jet" and evidently liked it.

The nickname "Hollywood" was a Gus Johnson (sports announcer) creation based on the fact that Brown comes from Hollywood, Florida. Brown didn't like the new nickname at first, but its taken on a life of its own at this point and he's probably grown to accept it.

I will say this -- he's been a star this year. I hope he's near 100% -- we need him.
I believe he'll play, just as Tua will, with neither at 100%. It's worth noting that Josh Jacobs won the MVP in our SECCG with an empty stomach and bad case of flu...

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017

I believe he'll play, just as Tua will, with neither at 100%. It's worth noting that Josh Jacobs won the MVP in our SECCG with an empty stomach and bad case of flu...
Good Point!!!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: Marquis Hollywood Browns’ status?

'Cutting' can be a problem for Brown, just as it is for Tua.
Will Brown lose a step because of his injury? I doubt it.

Tua's cutting will be a problem, just as he has been affected when planting his foot for a pass. (This question may be a 'Wash' for either or both players.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.