Mass/Active shooters part 4

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
You don’t know how a double barrel shotgun works or the difference between a single action revolver and a double action revolver or that the differences even existed and you are trying to tell the board what you think should be done with gun control. 😂

And how did you come up with the idea that I don't know the difference?

You seem to imagine I said things I didn't say and you do this constantly.

In any case, it does not matter.

Anyone who thinks you need to be an expert on guns to have an opinion on gun control is just looking for a reason to denigrate an opinion with which they disagree.

Gun trivia and gun control are two entirely different entities.

Any reasonable person knows this.

Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I’m using my phone so there might be some thumb errors but here it goes:

Solutions:
1. ALL agencies on a common system for background checks, period.
2. If a person is dismissed from ANY law enforcement agency and/or the military, they would barred from owning or purchasing a firearm until cleared by a medical professional.
3. Red flag law but only thru a medical professional and a judge. If a person is thought to be a danger to him/herself or others, he or she should be reported to law enforcement and/or a medical professional who will interview said person. If necessary, said person will be temporarily placed flagged prohibited from owning or purchasing a firearm. Once a full evaluation has been done and the person is cleared by medical professional, the flag will be immediately removed.
4. If the age is moved to 21, then the selective service/draft is also moved to 21. 18-20 can still volunteer. If an 18-20 year old is in the military and/or law enforcement, after training, they may own and purchase firearms.
5. A. Armed marshals in all schools. These marshals are for protection. If the population is large, at least two marshals with on being a plains clothes officer.
5. B. If a teacher is willing to go through training and volunteers, allow armed teachers where marshals are not available (small and/or rural districts).Only select individuals would know who is armed.

Limiting magazine capacity is a fool’s errand. A perpetrator could just carry extra magazines.

Banning semiautomatic rifles was ineffective previously (look up the FBI report when that ban was lifted-they determined people just used different weapons-Columbine was done with shotguns and pistols during that ban).

Ok, not BS, just offering what I believe are reasonable solutions.

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
And how did you come up with the idea that I don't know the difference?

You seem to imagine I said things I didn't say and you do this constantly.

In any case, it does not matter.

Anyone who thinks you need to be an expert on guns to have an opinion on gun control is just looking for a reason to denigrate an opinion with which they disagree.

Gun trivia and gun control are two entirely different entities.

Any reasonable person knows this.
When you speak on something a workng knowledge is always good. You obviously didn’t know from the statements you made. It’s cool I don’t know a lot about operating a boat so when it comes to laws and regulations related to boating I should get some working knowledge to form an educated opinion.

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
Yup, the daily urban handgun carnage is much worse, overall, than the nut going crazy with a misplaced (usually) grievance with an assault rifle. But not as news worthy.
This observation is spot-on. What I can't understand for the life of me is why everyone has such a "meh" attitude about this.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I still don't understand the fixation with the AR-15 -- other than it looks military and some nutjobs have stoked their egos with that and used them to do really nasty things.

Is a .223 round fired from an AR-15 any more deadly than a .223 round fired from another rifle? If so, I now understand, but am curious as to what it is about the AR-15 that has that effect.

If not, the position really needs to be banning all rifles that fire the .223 round. Or, if that's not realistic, go at it some other way....like the high-capacity magazines.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
This observation is spot-on. What I can't understand for the life of me is why everyone has such a "meh" attitude about this.
IMO, it's because it's, to a large part, poor, predominately blacks in the inner cities shooting, injuring and killing other poor blacks. More often than not, 'innocents' are not being shot. It only makes the news when the shootings are mixed race/socio economics or multiple murders from the same incident, much like individual car accidents get little press but accidents with multiple deaths get noticed.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I still don't understand the fixation with the AR-15 -- other than it looks military and some nutjobs have stoked their egos with that and used them to do really nasty things.

Is a .223 round fired from an AR-15 any more deadly than a .223 round fired from another rifle? If so, I now understand, but am curious as to what it is about the AR-15 that has that effect.

If not, the position really needs to be banning all rifles that fire the .223 round. Or, if that's not realistic, go at it some other way....like the high-capacity magazines.
Maybe this would be better answered by the perps. 🤷‍♂️
They sure do have a fixation with 'assault weapons'.

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
IMO, it's because it's, to a large part, poor, predominately blacks in the inner cities shooting, injuring and killing other poor blacks. More often than not, 'innocents' are not being shot. It only makes the news when the shootings are mixed race/socio economics or multiple murders from the same incident, much like individual car accidents get little press but accidents with multiple deaths get noticed.
Yeah, that's almost certainly true. It does seem to me that most of the outrage towards guns only blossoms when guns are a threat to white people or their precious safe spaces (i.e. gated communities, churches, private schools, etc.) If 100% of gun violence were limited to intraracial events (and more specifically black--on-black violence) we'd almost certainly never hear about it.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
y’all keep trying to make this an either/or thing and using that as a red herring. i’m all for enacting much stricter regulations on all firearms as i’m sure a lot of folks are

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah, that's almost certainly true. It does seem to me that most of the outrage towards guns only blossoms when guns are a threat to white people or their precious safe spaces (i.e. gated communities, churches, private schools, etc.) If 100% of gun violence were limited to intraracial events (and more specifically black--on-black violence) we'd almost certainly never hear about it.
there have long been tons of groups trying to deal with guns and inner city violence for a long time.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Right now in Belgrade. They are protesting for better security, violence on TV bans and resignation of key officials after TWO mass shootings. Just two.

We've had over 200 this year alone and can't get the GOP to even approach the table. Mass shootings are a business in this country. They create fear and fear drives gun sells. Gun sells power the NRA who pays off the right to keep stricter laws off the table. Capitalism at it's finest.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/13frw3q

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide and Padreruf

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

No, no difference in the round. However, the AR-15 is relatively light and carbine length. On top of that, over the years, the AR has become infinitely customizable - red dot sights, threaded barrels for muzzle brakes and silencers. And, of course, the infamous outsized magazines...

Reactions: Go Bama and AWRTR

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Solutions:
2. If a person is dismissed from ANY law enforcement agency and/or the military, they would barred from owning or purchasing a firearm until cleared by a medical professional.
3. Red flag law but only thru a medical professional and a judge. If a person is thought to be a danger to him/herself or others, he or she should be reported to law enforcement and/or a medical professional who will interview said person. If necessary, said person will be temporarily placed flagged prohibited from owning or purchasing a firearm. Once a full evaluation has been done and the person is cleared by medical professional, the flag will be immediately removed.
4. If the age is moved to 21, then the selective service/draft is also moved to 21. 18-20 can still volunteer. If an 18-20 year old is in the military and/or law enforcement, after training, they may own and purchase firearms.
5. A. Armed marshals in all schools. These marshals are for protection. If the population is large, at least two marshals with on being a plains clothes officer.
5. B. If a teacher is willing to go through training and volunteers, allow armed teachers where marshals are not available (small and/or rural districts).Only select individuals would know who is armed.

Limiting magazine capacity is a fool’s errand. A perpetrator could just carry extra magazines.

Banning semiautomatic rifles was ineffective previously (look up the FBI report when that ban was lifted-they determined people just used different weapons-Columbine was done with shotguns and pistols during that ban).

Good post, imo.

Add real mental health care and I suspect we'd see a difference pretty quickly.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Thanks. Any politician starting here should have good support. It would mollify the gun control supports (for a while) and it should be reasonable for the 2A supporters.
You lost me at 5B. I don’t think it’s a good idea to have a non-professional concealed carry around children. There’s also the question of how much to compensate these teachers for putting their lives in harm’s way. There are 90,148 public schools in the US. Paying marshals and armed teachers will add to the budget. Also, should a teacher be paid any less than a marshal for doing exactly the same job?

My other disagreement is calling magazine limitations a fool’s errand. IMO, it’s a step in the right direction which the majority of people support.

I’ll agree your post is a good starting point.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Thanks. Any politician starting here should have good support. It would mollify the gun control supports (for a while) and it should be reasonable for the 2A supporters.
i don't think that gun control support and 2a support are mutually exclusive, but so much of this (the royal this) discussion is framed around that premise.

• Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: NationalTitles18

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Solutions:

BTW, semi-autos were never banned. In addition to large mags, the regs which were really all cosmetic, in an attempt to describe an AR-15 - pistol grip, etc. My suggestion, which I made long ago was simpler - do away with detachable mags altogether, except for LEOs and military. Sure, some would leak out to criminals, but that happens with all gun limitations...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.