Mass shootings . . . . pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
That has never been the case and I very seriously doubt it will be now. Actually, quite the opposite. Congress will pass a weak bill l and go on break while patting themselves on the back. :(
That's good, there doesn't need to be. There need to be robust changes in our laws regarding access to guns in general, types of guns available to the general public, and more resources committed to understanding and dealing with mental health in our society.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don’t mean this in a mean spirited way, but…
Faced with doing anything to restrict gun use, having more discussions is always what gun supporters seem to fall back on. When I see GOP Senators explaining we need to keep this type weapon available to the general public to shoot prairie dogs, feral pigs and varmits, I marvel people think they can negotiate or even reason with that mindset.
That's fair - there are those who act in bad faith - but you have to realize it's to be understood when you're asking a portion of the public to bargain away part of (what some consider to be in) the bill of rights. I get that there's nuance and a lot of varied opinion as to what 2A means, but no matter which enumerated right we're discussing, I think moving forward with great caution when we discuss greater restriction is important.

And many gun owners have watched their rights used as a political football for a long time, by both parties.

It's why I default to free speech when discussing 1A. I'm fine contemplating new restrictions on free speech, but there will have to be a lot of discussion and looking for unintended consequences before you would expect someone to support further restriction of 1A. I have a similar approach to 2A - I'll listen and contemplate, but knee-jerk reactions are rarely real problem solvers.

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think we're talking about real discussions, not the ones you're talking about. It all doesn't have to be agreed upon at one time to start change. But you would think honest discussions would lead to agreeing on at least one thing, and they could get that "one thing" passed while continuing to hash out the things they don't agree on.
In my very humble opinion, things have already been discussed adequately at this point. It’s time to actually do something.
We are well past the discussion stage. 80% public approval of some basic steps seems to suggest that.

Knee jerk reactions to gun violence? The term doesn’t even compute to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Go Bama

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
In my very humble opinion, things have already been discussed adequately at this point. It’s time to actually do something.
I'm not going to argue on that one. If anyone can't get on board with raising the age limit to buy a gun, any (real) gun, to 21, isn't coming to the table with honest intentions. Again, it's hard to get past the fact that we as a society have agreed that young people under 21 aren't responsible enough to buy alcohol, but they're somehow responsible enough to buy a firearm. That is an obvious contradiction that needs to be addressed.

Hell, after watching my 17 year old drive, I question whether or not they're responsible enough to drive a vehicle before 21. :sick::eek:

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm not going to argue on that one. If anyone can't get on board with raising the age limit to buy a gun, any (real) gun, to 21, isn't coming to the table with honest intentions. Again, it's hard to get past the fact that we as a society have agreed that young people under 21 aren't responsible enough to buy alcohol, but they're somehow responsible enough to buy a firearm. That is an obvious contradiction that needs to be addressed.

Hell, after watching my 17 year old drive, I question whether or not they're responsible enough to drive a vehicle before 21. :sick::eek:
scientifically it should be 23 for men, 21 for women but if we do it we won't have anyone join the military

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Insurers question it also and reflect it in their rates...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Insurers question it also and reflect it in their rates...
Which leads us back to the argument about making gun owners carry liability insurance like people that own cars do.

I live in downtown Decatur. A few months ago, I was in bed about 3 or 4 in the morning. I heard multiple voices in my front yard. There is a no-man’s area between my house and the run down store building next door.
I got up, and opened my front door to see what in the world. I was greeted with three police cars and a lot of people having a powwow in my yard. Standing there in my boxers, I caught a policeman’s eye and waved him over to me.
He explained two 14 year old girls were out on a lark and were hiding in the space between my house and the building next door. Their mother had used their phone tracking thing to track them down, and called the police when she found them.

They all talked it out, the police packed up and left, no laws were broken. The mothers and daughters continued their argument for another twenty minutes before they all went home.

I’ve thought since then, throw in a bellyful of booze and a gun and I might have made a very bad mistake standing my ground.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Which leads us back to the argument about making gun owners carry liability insurance like people that own cars do.
I think this would have a hard time standing up to a court challenge as the poorest among us are generally those who are most threatened by gun violence and therefore need the ability to protect themselves. I'm not an attorney, but extra expense to utilize a right seems like an easy target to get struck down.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think this would have a hard time standing up to a court challenge as the poorest among us are generally those who are most threatened by gun violence and therefore need the ability to protect themselves. I'm not an attorney, but extra expense to utilize a right seems like an easy target to get struck down.
Now that our court system has been corrupted, you might be right. It’s worth a try.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
That's good, there doesn't need to be. There need to be robust changes in our laws regarding access to guns in general, types of guns available to the general public, and more resources committed to understanding and dealing with mental health in our society.
I agree.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
There needs to be meaningful legislation which I doubt we will see anytime soon. :(

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I live in downtown Decatur. A few months ago, I was in bed about 3 or 4 in the morning. I heard multiple voices in my front yard. There is a no-man’s area between my house and the run down store building next door.
I got up, and opened my front door to see what in the world. I was greeted with three police cars and a lot of people having a powwow in my yard. Standing there in my boxers, I caught a policeman’s eye and waved him over to me.
He explained two 14 year old girls were out on a lark and were hiding in the space between my house and the building next door. Their mother had used their phone tracking thing to track them down, and called the police when she found them.

They all talked it out, the police packed up and left, no laws were broken. The mothers and daughters continued their argument for another twenty minutes before they all went home.

I’ve thought since then, throw in a bellyful of booze and a gun and I might have made a very bad mistake standing my ground.
Do you honestly think that anyone could get off, bellyful for booze or not, by charging out shooting at police cars? You severely misunderstand the "stand your ground" principle...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Do you honestly think that anyone could get off, bellyful for booze or not, by charging out shooting at police cars? You severely misunderstand the "stand your ground" principle...
I’ve seen worse offenders skate with less justification. I won’t argue the point, I understand what you are getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.