Mass shootings . . . . pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

The legislation that passed in the House includes a series of individual bills aimed at preventing gun violence. The measure would raise the legal age to buy certain semiautomatic centerfire rifles from 18 to 21 years old, establish new federal offenses for gun trafficking and for selling large-capacity magazines, and allow local governments to compensate individuals who surrender such magazines through a buyback program. It would create a tax incentive for retail sales of safe storage devices and criminal penalties for breaking new requirements regulating firearm storage on residential premises. The measure would also take steps to strengthen existing federal regulations on bump stocks and ghost guns.

If you can't muster support for these weak measures as a bare minimum compromise then you are not serious about getting anything at all done so stop pretending to care.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
people with republican senators should call them and let them know they support this bill.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I saw a few random stats I thought were interesting.

Half of the guns in the U.S. belong to 3% of the population.

In the past ten years or so, I forget the exact figure, our country had had 288 school shootings. Our G7 world partners have a combined 5 total school shootings between them in the same time period.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I once donated to Jeff Sessions’s re-election drive. I sent two cents. They picked up my return address and I started getting all this garbage from the RNC.

They even sent an envelope with prepaid mailing to send another donation. I wrapped up and sent them a brick, I’m sure when they got it there was postage due if they wanted to see what was inside.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Here's the bill, if you wish to read it. I am a strong 2A supporter - I scanned it and can literally find nothing I disagree with. This looks like a well-written bill.

Here's what seem to be the key points:
  • Raising legal age to purchase a gun
  • something about closing gun show/private sales loopholes (I think)
  • something regarding stuff like 3D-printed weapons (like the above point, it's not clear what the provisions actually are, as it's modifying existing language--can someone clarify?)
  • bump stocks
  • large-capacity magazines
  • strong focus on gun safety
All seem reasonable, good faith efforts--though granted, I am a liberal-commie-pinko.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Q: Why should the legal age to buy a firearm be raised from 18 to 21?

A: For one, our culture has changed in that an 18-year-old in 2022 isn't the same as an 18-year-old in 1950. We have shifted to a longer adolescent period and I think raising the legal age to buy a firearm would properly reflect the longer adolescent stage. We don't trust young people to buy alcohol before the age of 21 so why would we trust them to buy a firearm? Two, mental health in this country has been ignored for decades up until recent years. We now know that kids (not just adults) suffer from mental health issues for all different reasons, some being because of genetics and others because of external stresses. So taking into account what we now know about mental health in young people AND that adolescence is longer. These reasons are enough to justify raising the legal age to 21.

Q: What do we do about the AR15's that are already in our society?

A: I know part of this answer will not be agreed upon, but oh well, no one is going to get everything they want. I think existing AR owners should be grandfathered in ONLY if they are willing to register them with the ATF AND attend a certification/safety course that has to be renewed on a yearly basis which would also include physically presenting the gun as proof that they still own the gun to their local agency that would handle this. If the gun owner wants to sell the gun to another citizen it must be done through the ATF and the transfer of ownership would be contingent on the buyer passing certification and the safety course. Any registered AR gun owner who does not renew their certification and safety course AND present the gun as proof of ownership to their local agency needs to be notified that their ownership of the AR has now become illegal. Yearly universal background checks need to be done as part of the yearly renewal process. Once the renewal is complete the gun owner is issued a card (much like a vaccination card or hunting/fishing license) that they must present if ownership verification is required.

Q: What do we do about the purchase of AR's going forward?

A: AR's should be re-classified under the ATF and not sold to the general public like a hunting rifle or handgun. Any private citizen wanting to own an AR has to be approved through a review board by the ATF that passes certain *pre-determined criteria for approval. If approved they would have to go through the same yearly registration/certification/Safety/proof of ownership as mentioned in the previous Q & A. *Note: I don't know what the pre-determined criteria should be but it's a start.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

A: For one, our culture has changed in that an 18-year-old in 2022 isn't the same as an 18-year-old in 1950. We have shifted to a longer adolescent period and I think raising the legal age to buy a firearm would properly reflect the longer adolescent stage. We don't trust young people to buy alcohol before the age of 21 so why would we trust them to buy a firearm? Two, mental health in this country has been ignored for decades up until recent years. We now know that kids (not just adults) suffer from mental health issues for all different reasons, some being because of genetics and others because of external stresses. So taking into account what we now know about mental health in young people AND that adolescence is longer. These reasons are enough to justify raising the legal age to 21.

A: I know part of this answer will not be agreed upon, but oh well, no one is going to get everything they want. I think existing AR owners should be grandfathered in ONLY if they are willing to register them with the ATF AND attend a certification/safety course that has to be renewed on a yearly basis which would also include physically presenting the gun as proof that they still own the gun to their local agency that would handle this. If the gun owner wants to sell the gun to another citizen it must be done through the ATF and the transfer of ownership would be contingent on the buyer passing certification and the safety course. Any registered AR gun owner who does not renew their certification and safety course AND present the gun as proof of ownership to their local agency needs to be notified that their ownership of the AR has now become illegal. Yearly universal background checks need to be done as part of the yearly renewal process. Once the renewal is complete the gun owner is issued a card (much like a vaccination card or hunting/fishing license) that they must present if ownership verification is required.

A: AR's should be re-classified under the ATF and not sold to the general public like a hunting rifle or handgun. Any private citizen wanting to own an AR has to be approved through a review board by the ATF that passes certain *pre-determined criteria for approval. If approved they would have to go through the same yearly registration/certification/Safety/proof of ownership as mentioned in the previous Q & A. *Note: I don't know what the pre-determined criteria should be but it's a start.

Thoughts?
Looks good. Place ARs or all semiauto weapons under the NFA Class 3 or create a new class for them.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

GADSDEN, Ala. (WIAT) — Police shot and killed a “suspicious person” they said was attempting to enter an Alabama school, law enforcement confirmed Thursday morning.

A man arrived at Walnut Park Elementary in Gadsden around 9:30 a.m. Thursday and attempted to gain entry to vehicles and buildings on-site, Etowah County Sheriff Jonathan Horton said.

A school resource officer who also works for Rainbow City police responded and called for assistance from other law enforcement. A physical altercation ensued, police claimed, and the suspect was shot and killed. The resource officer, officials said, received minor injuries.

Police have not said whether the man was armed.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga

Thoughts?
If we do this should we not raise the voting age to 21?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Here's what seem to be the key points:
  • Raising legal age to purchase a gun
  • something about closing gun show/private sales loopholes (I think)
  • something regarding stuff like 3D-printed weapons (like the above point, it's not clear what the provisions actually are, as it's modifying existing language--can someone clarify?)
  • bump stocks
  • large-capacity magazines
  • strong focus on gun safety
All seem reasonable, good faith efforts--though granted, I am a liberal-commie-pinko.
Two dems voted against it and only 5 reps supported it. IMO, that's disgusting. There is nothing unreasonable about the bill. My only objection is that it didn't go far enough. It should have at least contained a ref flag provision, universal background checks and a closing of the gun show loophole. I read through Title II - Prevent Gun Trafficing and didn't see where it was addressed. :(

Reactions: NationalTitles18

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Two dems voted against it and only 5 reps supported it. IMO, that's disgusting. There is nothing unreasonable about the bill. My only objection is that it didn't go far enough. It should have at least contained a ref flag provision, universal background checks and a closing of the gun show loophole. I read through Title II - Prevent Gun Trafficing and didn't see where it was addressed. :(
The house did pass a separate red flag bill. Don't ask me why all these different bills unless they want something to pass so there's no excuse.

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama and Bamaro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.