Mass shootings . . . . pt 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I am glad I no longer have this burden. I hated desiging schools, and now it is an even bigger problem having to accout for things like this.
I think it is cool that you designed schools at one time. I always wonder what was the thought process that went in to the design of the school.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

The Senate on Thursday night passed a bipartisan bill to address gun violence that amounts to the first major federal gun safety legislation in decades.

The final vote was 65 to 33 with 15 Republicans joining Democrats in support of the measure, marking a significant bipartisan breakthrough on one of the most contentious policy issues in the country. The bill will next go to the House for a vote before it can be sent to President Joe Biden to be signed into law.

The bipartisan gun deal includes millions of dollars for mental health, school safety, crisis intervention programs and incentives for states to include juvenile records in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

It also makes significant changes to the process when someone ages 18 to 21 goes to buy a firearm and closes the so-called boyfriend loophole, a victory for Democrats, who have long fought for that.

The package amounts to the most significant new federal legislation to address gun violence since the expired 10-year assault weapons ban of 1994 – though it fails to ban any weapons and falls far short of what Democrats and polls show most Americans want to see.

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019
I am glad I no longer have this burden. I hated desiging schools, and now it is an even bigger problem having to accout for things like this.
As a retired school teacher and having taught on four different campuses ( grades K-12) in 29 years I would be interested in your thoughts on school design in the school settings today.

Reactions: Con

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

The Senate on Thursday night passed a bipartisan bill to address gun violence that amounts to the first major federal gun safety legislation in decades.

The final vote was 65 to 33 with 15 Republicans joining Democrats in support of the measure, marking a significant bipartisan breakthrough on one of the most contentious policy issues in the country. The bill will next go to the House for a vote before it can be sent to President Joe Biden to be signed into law.

The bipartisan gun deal includes millions of dollars for mental health, school safety, crisis intervention programs and incentives for states to include juvenile records in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

It also makes significant changes to the process when someone ages 18 to 21 goes to buy a firearm and closes the so-called boyfriend loophole, a victory for Democrats, who have long fought for that.

The package amounts to the most significant new federal legislation to address gun violence since the expired 10-year assault weapons ban of 1994 – though it fails to ban any weapons and falls far short of what Democrats and polls show most Americans want to see.
Better than nothing but very limited in its scope.

Reactions: NationalTitles18

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Republicans who voted in favor:

Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, Senate minority leader
Roy Blunt of Missouri
Richard Burr of North Carolina
Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia
Bill Cassidy of Louisiana
Susan Collins of Maine
John Cornyn of Texas
Joni Ernst of Iowa
Lindsey Graham of South Carolina
Lisa Murkowski of Alaska
Rob Portman of Ohio
Mitt Romney of Utah
Thom Tillis of North Carolina
Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania
Todd Young of Indiana

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
As a retired school teacher and having taught on four different campuses ( grades K-12) in 29 years I would be interested in your thoughts on school design in the school settings today.
Schools have always had a lot more security than most buildings already in the design. Most of the doors should be locked to avoid anyone getting in that should not be in the building. It should have hardware for the doors that are meant to be kept locked. Now whether or not teachers, students or any admin prop open a side door for whatever reason is nothig the designers can do. We literally go through hours upon hours of talking about security for the schools back and forth with the hardware guys, admin., and sometimes if the budget allows security systems. Security might be just a few cameras that may be actually functional. Some have had panic buttons that sound an alarm and will alert police. I would say these need to be figured into the budget and need to be properly maintained. I will say the cameras need to be unnoticable for psychological reasons. They usually are not hidden and are out in full view. The psychological aspects of a bunch of cameras in full view might make students feel like they are in prison. Plus a hidden camera would be much better for anyone that wishes to do harm. If they don't know where the cameras are, they cannot destroy them or hide from them.

Most schools are designed with mostly concrete walls (whether block or cast-in-place). This was usually for destruction purposes because kids break stuff. All the glass is tempered (safety glass). FYI there is no such thing as bullet "proof" glass. There is bullet resistant glass. It will stop almost bullet. It is more expensive, but desparate times and all. The downside to bullet resistant would be if someone locked themselves in (after getting through all the security) there would be a difficult time breaking to get in to get to the perpetrator.

I would say all schools need a security officer all day. Not some traffic cop that direct traffic in the morning, but a trained officer. I know that has nothing to do with designing but something I feel is needed. If the officer just sits on his butt all day and does nothing, that is a good day and money well spent.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Schools have always had a lot more security than most buildings already in the design. Most of the doors should be locked to avoid anyone getting in that should not be in the building. It should have hardware for the doors that are meant to be kept locked. Now whether or not teachers, students or any admin prop open a side door for whatever reason is nothig the designers can do. We literally go through hours upon hours of talking about security for the schools back and forth with the hardware guys, admin., and sometimes if the budget allows security systems. Security might be just a few cameras that may be actually functional. Some have had panic buttons that sound an alarm and will alert police. I would say these need to be figured into the budget and need to be properly maintained. I will say the cameras need to be unnoticable for psychological reasons. They usually are not hidden and are out in full view. The psychological aspects of a bunch of cameras in full view might make students feel like they are in prison. Plus a hidden camera would be much better for anyone that wishes to do harm. If they don't know where the cameras are, they cannot destroy them or hide from them.

Most schools are designed with mostly concrete walls (whether block or cast-in-place). This was usually for destruction purposes because kids break stuff. All the glass is tempered (safety glass). FYI there is no such thing as bullet "proof" glass. There is bullet resistant glass. It will stop almost bullet. It is more expensive, but desparate times and all. The downside to bullet resistant would be if someone locked themselves in (after getting through all the security) there would be a difficult time breaking to get in to get to the perpetrator.

I would say all schools need a security officer all day. Not some traffic cop that direct traffic in the morning, but a trained officer. I know that has nothing to do with designing but something I feel is needed. If the officer just sits on his butt all day and does nothing, that is a good day and money well spent.
All good points. IDK how much good cameras do, since the overwhelming majority of mass shooters plan on dying themselves. OT, but I have seven security cameras around my house. There's no good way to disguise them. I always figured that I'd at least get a good photo of the thief. However, I almost screwed up. I had been working on the camera by the kitchen door and made the mistake of leaving the 4' ladder in place. When I reviewed my footage the next day, on that camera, I had a shot of the back of a guy's head, rushing back down the ladder. I don't leave the ladder up any more, but I moved it around so I was working on the camera from the front, rather than the back, if I forgot and left it up. I think what scared him off was the searchlight on the camera. Apparently, he finally got his hand in front enough to trigger it and it frightened him...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The Governor of New York was responding to the SC ruling about concealed weapons. She noted they excepted “Sensitive Places” or some such term from the ban. She said she knew they couldn’t declare all of NYC to be a sensitive place but they would soon have legislation in place that would go right up to the line. Banning concealed weapons everywhere possible within that legal loophole.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I don't think anyone is truly happy with it, but I'm amazed anything at all got done.

The few Republicans that voted for it did so to divert criticism but it’s precious little to use as cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.