Rhea/Ballou is to the previous Bama S&C coach as Saban is to the previous Bama HC...

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
If they are as good as many people on here say they are and if they contributed as much to the team's success this past year as many on here have said, then yeah, I am a tad worried that some team may swoop in and take them. Granted I am sure Coach Saban already has a list of people to hire if this where to happen. Just as he does for assistant coaches.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If they are as good as many people on here say they are and if they contributed as much to the team's success this past year as many on here have said, then yeah, I am a tad worried that some team may swoop in and take them. Granted I am sure Coach Saban already has a list of people to hire if this where to happen. Just as he does for assistant coaches.
Outside of a pro team (most of which are likely already doing what these are), who? I can't see any school stealing them if Saban wants them.

And yeah, look at our injuries last season vs the previous few years...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Outside of a pro team (most of which are likely already doing what these are), who? I can't see any school stealing them if Saban wants them.

And yeah, look at our injuries last season vs the previous few years...
Yeah just think of all the folks that want Cochran but failed to acquire him. Unless Saban runs them off or a pro job opens up we probably aren’t losing our S&C coaches to a lateral move

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
At the pace Saban has been able to replace quality assistant coaches and maintain positive momentum with outstanding teachers in this program I personally think the only coaching change that could do any damage to this Bama program would be that of the head man himself. Every other coach and player can and will be replaced by top notch personnel.

Reactions: Chukker Veteran

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Yeah just think of all the folks that want Cochran but failed to acquire him. Unless Saban runs them off or a pro job opens up we probably aren’t losing our S&C coaches to a lateral move
Serious question — would an NFL S&C job be better than the Alabama S&C job under Saban?

I’m not so sure it would be. There’s no way they would get more support from the HC than in Tuscaloosa. Plus, they have more control over college players.

Everybody has a ceiling. Since college players are still developing, they’re typically farther away from their personal ceilings than NFL players. That’s because guys in the NFL are already in such elite condition that I’m not sure there’s a lot more anyone could do for them…..other than maybe help them maintain that level for as many years as possible.

Point of all that being, Rhea and Ballou might get more personal satisfaction from helping youngsters reach their personal ceilings than helping grown men keep their level of development.

Though I have no idea what the relative pay scale for S&C might be, college coaches can actually make as much or more than in the NFL. If Saban wants to keep them (and he does), I don’t see us getting outbid.

So if it’s not more money (and I don’t think it would be), I’m not seeing what would be more attractive about a professional job.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Serious question — would an NFL S&C job be better than the Alabama S&C job under Saban?

I’m not so sure it would be. There’s no way they would get more support from the HC than in Tuscaloosa. Plus, they have more control over college players.

Everybody has a ceiling. Since college players are still developing, they’re typically farther away from their personal ceilings than NFL players. That’s because guys in the NFL are already in such elite condition that I’m not sure there’s a lot more anyone could do for them…..other than maybe help them maintain that level for as many years as possible.

Point of all that being, Rhea and Ballou might get more personal satisfaction from helping youngsters reach their personal ceilings than helping grown men keep their level of development.

Though I have no idea what the relative pay scale for S&C might be, college coaches can actually make as much or more than in the NFL. If Saban wants to keep them (and he does), I don’t see us getting outbid.

So if it’s not more money (and I don’t think it would be), I’m not seeing what would be more attractive about a professional job.
It depends. Top college S&C pays more generally but it is often more taxing in college than the NFL. But again the NFL isn’t trying to build blimps and teach guys how to work out either. I remember Donta getting on Jox saying the Patriots had to tell him to stop working out because Cochran instilled an insane regime that couldn’t sustain a long NFL career.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Between Cochran and Kirby you have the two major coaches during the run that I’m happy to see gone. I guess tie goes to Kirby for how he had left and how he still conducts himself. But both stayed way too long and prevented us from fully combating the changes in college football.
I think I've had an epiphany.

It now seems clear to me when Kirby was leaving...Saban noticed Kirby was trying to snake some recruits he had no business going after. So Saban calls him aside..."Hey Kirby, whatever you do please don't take Scott with you."

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

Any risk the Lakers and all that NBA money would try to hire our guys?
Not a chance; never get a group of NBA players to work that hard. Especially Lebron; he whines about games being scheduled to close. They are more worried about when can they sit out; not work out.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
NBA -- never have so few made so much money for no obvious reason. You can go to any inner city playground in a major city in the US and see athletes just as good playing for nothing. There is only one NBA player I would pay money to see -- Stephon Curry. His shooting is other-worldly.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
There a lot of players in the NFL in not as good playing condition as compared to our players. Most NFL players have their own personal trainer who they pay out of their pocket to keep them in shape. In the NFL, the expectation is you come in shape ready to play.

Imo, our SC guys are at the pinnacle of their profession.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
What are you guys talking about? Iron man exercises, baby. Squats, bench, deads, juice. X100.
There’s nothing wrong with those exercises for normal human beings (not the roids). There is something wrong with the head of a major university strength and conditioning program falling so far behind the science because he’s too busy begging for an on the field coaching position. Cochran let his ambition cloud his judgement.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.