Maybe don’t go out drinking in Minnesota (MN Supreme Court Ruling)

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
It appears that many states define mental incapacitation to exclude voluntary intoxication. The Minnesota Supreme Court appears to have not had a choice but to say that the victim's inability to consent wasn't due to incapacitation.

Time to lobby the legislatures to address that.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This is a tough topic and I'm not sure how I ended up here, but I'd really have to research the case before formulating a firm opinion.

I have a problem with both sides of this really. One is the idea that there's kind of this magical threshold in which a person no longer can consent to have sex. That's tricky because if there's drinking involved at what point do you know if you've reached the legal threshold at which the woman can no longer consent? There's a lot of difference between too drunk to say yes, and too drunk to say no isn't there?

I'd assume part of this is the mentality of the court in the sense that if for instance my wife and I get drunk together (has happened plenty of times) and we end up having sex, I'm not going to get charged with rape because at some point in the process she went over the legal threshold at which she can consent.

Having said that, when people hear rape of this sort, myself included I tend to think that the individual was so drunk she was passed out or literally couldn't even communicate. That's not actually the definition though, it includes mental incapacity which, ""prevents a person from understanding the nature or consequences of the act of sexual intercourse". That's really unclear and just means the person might not understand fully what they are doing, not that they lack the ability to say no.

So, in the case of being physically incapacitated I'm really against this ruling. If you have sex with someone who us unconscious or nearly unconscious it's hard to imagine that not being rape. However, if you go with the fuzzy mental incapacitated thing, that could technically apply to anyone you ever got drunk with and then had sex with really. Then I can see the line of logic for saying yeah but they voluntarily got drunk with you.

Technically, every time someone has sex once they are past a certain point of being drunk, even if they are conscious, aware, and making choices, it could still always be considered rape. That's a problem to.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Technically, every time someone has sex once they are past a certain point of being drunk, even if they are conscious, aware, and making choices, it could still always be considered rape. That's a problem to.
As a father of two young men I raised them with a very basic understanding that if they have drunk sex, a lot of bad things can happen to them. Essentially, they will be making a horrible choice that can produce horrible consequences. STD, pregnancies and next day guilt are the three that jump to mind, but there are others.

So - drunk sex - don't do it. And, like driving, buzzed sex is drunk sex.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As a father of two young men I raised them with a very basic understanding that if they have drunk sex, a lot of bad things can happen to them. Essentially, they will be making a horrible choice that can produce horrible consequences. STD, pregnancies and next day guilt are the three that jump to mind, but there are others.

So - drunk sex - don't do it. And, like driving, buzzed sex is drunk sex.
As a father of four boys, I will be having this type of conversation with them as soon as they get old enough. I have a daughter that is already being taught (she's old enough to have these type talks) personal responsibility when it comes to driving, money, alcohol, relationships etc. My wife and I instill in her to not willingly get into a situation that you are depending on someone else to make the right decision.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.