McClellan vs Gibbs

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Personally, I'd like to see more of Roydell Williams, the guy has shown signs of being a violent, power-type runner. It would be nice to see him hit a groove and alternate him and McClellan when we need to chew clock and wear down a defense.
Roydell's style reminds me of Josh Jacobs. And like Jacobs he's having a difficult time getting carries. And on top of the 2 in front of him he has a true freshman behind him that is deserving of carries as well. I may be wrong but we could see RW explode like Jacobs given the opportunity. We may not have the DH, TR or MI but I don't think we've ever had this much overall talent at running back ever.

Windsortide

All-SEC
Nov 11, 2019
McClellan better runner from scrimmage and Gibbs better receiver so far. I think by the end of the year both will have some impressive numbers

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
Both backs have a huge upside. I’m grateful we have such diverse talent at RB. Gibbs will provide BY a much needed safety valve while McClellan is a great running back in the traditional sense. If our OL keeps improving we are going to be a force from the running back position.
I think Gibbs is gonna be huge later in the year when he is really needed.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
To me it appears that every guy is filling a needed role:

Jase - A Pure RB that can run downhill but also has great vision on Counters and Sweeps and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Gibbs - a Dynamic APB that you can run inside but he is especially effective in Space and has GREAT hands and can catch the ball and then effectively move like a WR

Roydell - a SLEDGEHAMMER inside. Just a Violent inside runner that I'd like to see on 3rd Downs going forward especially.

Trey - All Heart coming off the bench and runs tough and has good vision.

Miller - I'm telling you right now this guy right here is gonna be special.... He's got some Mark Ingram in him....He's like a Bull and the Opposing D a China Shop....LOVE how this kid runs the ball.

Our RB room is LEGIT and DEEP.
Would like to see Trey get more carries, all else being equal...

Ledsteplin

All-American
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Brian Robinson is an NFL starter as a rookie. Or rather, will be once he gets back. McClellan has not shown anything like that level of ability yet.
How well did Brian do as a Junior, behind Najee. He did pretty good. And McClellan, as a Junior, is doing pretty good. He'll be even better next year as a senior. If he comes back.

Reactions: dtgreg

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Miller looks very good but not sure special just yet. Do you think he will jump McClellan, Williams and Sanders? We also have two 5* RB's coming in next year. Incredible depth at the RB position.
McClellan is a junior. If he keep playing the way he has... Gibbs and McClellan could go pro.

Williams or Sanders is likely to transfer. Miller is already ahead of Sander on depth and Miller is #4 depth.

The running back coming in next year probably will redshirt .. Richard Young might see playing time.

• Thank You
Reactions: bamadwain

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
McClellan is a junior. If he keep playing the way he has... Gibbs and McClellan could go pro.

Williams or Sanders is likely to transfer. Miller is already ahead of Sander on depth and Miller is #4 depth.

The running back coming in next year probably will redshirt .. Richard Young might see playing time.
If McClellan and Gibbs go pro Williams and Sanders become the two most experienced backs on the roster with Miller being a true sophomore. Not sure why the top two backs would consider transferring.

Even with two 5 star RB’s coming in Saban isn’t going to play them over Williams or Sanders if they don’t pick up pass protection.

Reactions: TiderJack

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If McClellan and Gibbs go pro Williams and Sanders become the two most experienced backs on the roster with Miller being a true sophomore. Not sure why the top two backs would consider transferring.

Even with two 5 star RB’s coming in Saban isn’t going to play them over Williams or Sanders if they don’t pick up pass protection.
You could say the same about Drew Sander. He was locked to start next to Henry.

cthorne22

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2002
Harvest, AL
I also think McClellan is usually a better blocker. Gibbs has missed a few blocks, but hopefully will get better. Protecting Bryce is a must, or it will be a long season. I like all our RB's. Hopefully we will have great depth this year with no injuries.
This is the answer, pass blocking. Even Derrick Henry lost playing time until he became a reliable pass blocker.

Reactions: Con

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He is one of Arkansas' best pass rushers and he made several good plays against aTm. I watched two or three plays where he just dominated their left tackle with his pass rush. I just hope that isn't the case this Satruday.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.rydas.com
This is the answer, pass blocking. Even Derrick Henry lost playing time until he became a reliable pass blocker.
I would add one other thing about Henry that was kind of interesting.

Earlier in his career he often tried to rely more on his agility and less on his strength. So you'd see him dance around a little sometimes, go more right and left instead of just using his physicality and running up the middle. The difference wasn't that his average went up, but his consistency did and you could just hand him the ball and know he was going to get positive yards (even if the defense knew what was coming to).

With perhaps the exception of Gibbs (his second year of the starter), I don't think we really know yet what these guys can become. Only Trey Sanders has had over 100 carries in his career (and he's had to overcome tremendous injury issues). So, really I just hoped we can get these guys involved more and start to get them developed and ready for when they are most needed.

colbysullivan

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Fun fact:

Gibbs has more receiving TDs than Brock Bowers (the fantastic UGA tight end) but Bowers has more rushing TDs than Gibbs.
Everyone on this board has the same number of rushing TDs as Gibbs...

I would have bet my mortgage that he would have at least 5 rushing TDs at this point in the season.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
A lock over Moody or Lawson? Why did he never play next to Henry in mop-up duty last year?The guy played exclusively at OLB his freshman and sophomore year. I realize Saban said that eventually might have become the plan but it didn’t. These guys have been RB’s their whole career.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I agree. If all the RBs remain healthy then I expect at least 1 maybe 2 RBs entering the transfer portal. Not a knock on any of them, but like I said 5 RBS and 1 football. That is the risk you take when signing with a big time program.

Ledsteplin

All-American
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Everyone on this board has the same number of rushing TDs as Gibbs...

I would have bet my mortgage that he would have at least 5 rushing TDs at this point in the season.
It seems many on this board thought Gibbs was the 2nd coming of either Derrick Henry or Najee Harris. He's just not that type running back. But he is very good at what he does. He's like a new weapon, and a great addition to the offense.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

Amazon Prime / TideFans.shop

Your purchase through our Amazon affiliation and TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!