McClellan vs Gibbs

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
Ok, I thought Gibbs was going to be The Man this year in our offense. Started great against Texas, and then, they stopped using him. Is something going on?
McClellan seems to be getting the important runs as a RB.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ok, I thought Gibbs was going to be The Man this year in our offense. Started great against Texas, and then, they stopped using him. Is something going on?
McClellan seems to be getting the important runs as a RB.
IMO McClellan is the best pure RB and he was last year prior to the injury. Gibbs is more of an Alvin Kamara type though and of course needs to be on the field as much as possible. But McClellan’s playing time is no accident.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
IMO McClellan is the best pure RB and he was last year prior to the injury. Gibbs is more of an Alvin Kamara type though and of course needs to be on the field as much as possible. But McClellan’s playing time is no accident.
Good analogy , I liken the situation To the Saints a few years ago when they had Ingram and Kamara in their thier prime.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I also think McClellan is usually a better blocker. Gibbs has missed a few blocks, but hopefully will get better. Protecting Bryce is a must, or it will be a long season. I like all our RB's. Hopefully we will have great depth this year with no injuries.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The defense and the flow of the game dictate who gets the bulk of the work, it's been this way for years with Saban's RB's. There will be games when Gibbs has the hot hand and he'll be in there a lot more, then it will be McClellan, and possibly #5 Williams. Everyone has game plans going into each game but a team's ultimate game plan isn't implemented until the game starts. Because what was drawn up on the chalk board all week for the game may go out the window after the first three drives.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
To me it appears that every guy is filling a needed role:

Jase - A Pure RB that can run downhill but also has great vision on Counters and Sweeps and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Gibbs - a Dynamic APB that you can run inside but he is especially effective in Space and has GREAT hands and can catch the ball and then effectively move like a WR

Roydell - a SLEDGEHAMMER inside. Just a Violent inside runner that I'd like to see on 3rd Downs going forward especially.

Trey - All Heart coming off the bench and runs tough and has good vision.

Miller - I'm telling you right now this guy right here is gonna be special.... He's got some Mark Ingram in him....He's like a Bull and the Opposing D a China Shop....LOVE how this kid runs the ball.

Our RB room is LEGIT and DEEP.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Jase McClellan - 29 attempts for 245 yards with averaging 8.4 yards per carries with 2 TDs.

Jahmyr Gibbs- 25 attempts for 172 yards with averaging 6.9 yards with no TDs.

Everyone keeps talking about how it's top 2.. but no one mentioned Miller/WIlliams.

Roydell Williams has 17 carries for 104 yards with 2 TDs
Jamarion Miller has 20 carries for 146 yards with 2 TDs

Trey Sander has 9 carries for 53 yards.

I think it's safe to say that We're going to use Top 4 RBs this season.

I've noticed we use Gibbs a lot in Passing game. He's 2nd on team in receiving.
When McClellan is in the game, he can get us the yards. Gibbs too. Williams is the kind we use for short yardage and punishing defense to wear them down. Miller is special. He will be #1 or #2 RB next year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Jase McClellan - 29 attempts for 245 yards with averaging 8.4 yards per carries with 2 TDs.

Jahmyr Gibbs- 25 attempts for 172 yards with averaging 6.9 yards with no TDs.

Roydell Williams has 17 carries for 104 yards with 2 TDs
Jamarion Miller has 20 carries for 146 yards with 2 TDs

Trey Sander has 9 carries for 53 yards.

I think it's safe to say that We're going to use Top 4 RBs this season.

I've noticed we use Gibbs a lot in Passing game. He's 2nd on team in receiving.
When McClellan is in the game, he can get us the yards. Gibbs too. Williams is the kind we use for short yardage and punishing defense to wear them down. Miller is special. He will be #1 or #2 RB next year.
Talk about as even as you can get with carries. For the most part, everybody is getting a legit opportunity.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.