McClellan vs Gibbs

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Brian Robinson is an NFL starter as a rookie. Or rather, will be once he gets back. McClellan has not shown anything like that level of ability yet.
Coach Jeff, I think that's not what he was trying to say at all. He was talking about last season overall. I"ll say this: McClellan was better than Robinson at times last season, but Robinson has showed to be the man down the stretch when McClellan got hurt.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Both backs have a huge upside. I’m grateful we have such diverse talent at RB. Gibbs will provide BY a much needed safety valve while McClellan is a great running back in the traditional sense. If our OL keeps improving we are going to be a force from the running back position.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Coach Jeff, I think that's not what he was trying to say at all. He was talking about last season overall. I"ll say this: McClellan was better than Robinson at times last season, but Robinson has showed to be the man down the stretch when McClellan got hurt.
He said McClellan was better than BRob last year. I think that's silly.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He said McClellan was better than BRob last year. I think that's silly.
No I said prior to the injury, in my opinion, McClellan was the better back. No one knows what would have happened if he had not gotten hurt vs. Florida. BRob developed over the course of the season as the main back with nearly 100% of the workload.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think it will continue until November and we'll probably see the separation. I suspect Miller might not play much as we get deep in SEC play.
Personally, I'd like to see more of Roydell Williams, the guy has shown signs of being a violent, power-type runner. It would be nice to see him hit a groove and alternate him and McClellan when we need to chew clock and wear down a defense.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
No I said prior to the injury, in my opinion, McClellan was the better back. No one knows what would have happened if he had not gotten hurt vs. Florida. BRob developed over the course of the season as the main back with nearly 100% of the workload.
Anytime you say someone is better than someone else at football it's an opinion. I think it's a silly opinion.

I would love to change my mind because JM has a fantastic career and plays in the NFL but at this point it seems just silly.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Brian Robinson is an NFL starter as a rookie. Or rather, will be once he gets back. McClellan has not shown anything like that level of ability yet.
NFL starter isn't the end all, be all. It depends on the situation and the coach. Derrick Henry wasnt a starter as a rookie, does that mean he wasn't very good?
Jase hasnt had the opportunity to showcase his talent. Its coming.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Personally, I'd like to see more of Roydell Williams, the guy has shown signs of being a violent, power-type runner. It would be nice to see him hit a groove and alternate him and McClellan when we need to chew clock and wear down a defense.
In his limited carries, it seems to me he puts the ball on the ground more when he gets in.

Reactions: Superdad

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Part of the problem is Alabama isn't committing to getting the run game going early. Also, Gibbs is just not a power runner, he's not that guy. He never was.

So when he's in Alabama just isn't going to do things like run it up the middle as much. He's not going to morph into Derrick Henry any time soon. He is an incredible weapon though...

Edit: Also if we are going to compare Brian Robinson and Jase we might as well look up their average. Robinson averaged 5 yards per carry for his career at Alabama and last season, that's the lowest (by a half a yard) a lead back has had since Terry Grant's 4.9 in 2007.

Jase averages 7.4...

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I am trying to remember, what game did he fumble in??
Just this year seems like the 4th down run vs. Texas it popped loose. He may be down sometimes, but I wouldn't want to leave anything to chance with the review booth. Last year he put the ball on the turf in mop up duty. Like I said, he doesn't carry it much, but I worry when he does.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Edit: Also if we are going to compare Brian Robinson and Jase we might as well look up their average. Robinson averaged 5 yards per carry for his career at Alabama and last season, that's the lowest (by a half a yard) a lead back has had since Terry Grant's 4.9 in 2007.

Jase averages 7.4...
Jase is averaging 7.4 *this year*. He's helped by a small sample size. I don't expect that number to stay that high all year. Before he got hurt was averaging 4.8 yards per carry - less than Robinson was. Trey Sanders averaged 4.3 last year too. Robinson's numbers aren't an indictment of him, they're an indictment of the offensive line.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Jase is averaging 7.4 *this year*. He's helped by a small sample size. I don't expect that number to stay that high all year. Before he got hurt was averaging 4.8 yards per carry - less than Robinson was. Trey Sanders averaged 4.3 last year too. Robinson's numbers aren't an indictment of him, they're an indictment of the offensive line.
No, that's for his career. This year it's 8.4.

Obviously it's a smaller sample size, I'm not saying who is better, but 681 yards with a 7.4 average is noteworthy. If he's used heavily I would also expect it to come down, but it's more in line with what we saw from Eddie Lacy as a backup than BRob for example.

Last edited:

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
Recency Bias aside, I believe Jase has a higher ceiling as a running back than Brian Robinson. Brian Robinson was a tough runner, but he was nothing spectacular. Jase broke off an 81 yard TD run this year and there's something to be said for having homerun ability. Look at Derrick Henry. People always say Derrick Henry is a power running back and don't agree with that. Once Derrick henry gets wrapped up , he's usually down. What makes Derrick Henry special is his homerun ability in that if he has some space, he's faster than everyone else and doesn't let people wrap up on him with his legendary stiff arm.

Reactions: BamaDenver

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.