Me too, he said, she said (spin off from "oh cuomo" but without politics)

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I'm not saying that more sex education for Women isn't necessary, it probably is.

But Shouldn't the emphasis here be how do we keep men from seeing women as objects that they can do whatever they want with?

It seems like we are putting essentially all the burden of preventing this on the victims which I think is a bit insane.
I think comprehensive sex ed for both women & men is necessary.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Evolutionary biology says that our sex drive is about procreation -- leaving your genetic material behind so as to continue the species. I think if we educated our children more that this is a normal desire but will destroy you if not controlled, we might has less rape. Who knows? I have been amazed at the price human beings will pay for a 20 second muscle spasm.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Evolutionary biology says that our sex drive is about procreation -- leaving your genetic material behind so as to continue the species. I think if we educated our children more that this is a normal desire but will destroy you if not controlled, we might has less rape. Who knows? I have been amazed at the price human beings will pay for a 20 second muscle spasm.
Sadly, rape is really not about sex for most.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Or dealt with in a healthy safe manner...

20 second muscle spasm? :oops: I feel really sorry for men.
Just kidding 😆 kind of.

But fully agree that we teach kids that it's normal to have desire.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Our sex drive is about feeling good (and power in some cases). I dont know the percentages but a HUGE amount of sex is recreational, not for procreation.

Reactions: MobtownK

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Our sex drive is about feeling good (and power in some cases). I dont know the percentages but a HUGE amount of sex is recreational, not for procreation.
That's what we believe...I get it...but behind our conscious thoughts are millions of years of genetic development using sex as procreation. We can have both...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Really, it's always procreation. The genes are in charge, trying to perpetuate themselves. Having us feel good is one of their tactics. Having us think it's volitional and for recreation is another... ;)

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Really, it's always procreation. The genes are in charge, trying to perpetuate themselves. Having us feel good is one of their tactics. Having us think it's volitional and for recreation is another... ;)
If that was true and your partner was on the pill (or other) sex wouldn't happen. Procreation in humans is the effect, not the cause although you are correct that they go together.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If that was true and your partner was on the pill (or other) sex wouldn't happen. Procreation in humans is the effect, not the cause although you are correct that they go together.
Oh, good grief! Yes, that's what you would assume. Your genes don't take modernity into account...

Reactions: UAH

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
You are assuming rationality in the decision to have sex...which is not always the case. Also, we as humans are not always aware of our subconscious motivations...

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I mean look at all your asking women to do (right after an extremely traumatic event) and then following up with, "men don't break the law."

Why should we not put more emphasis on changing men's mindsets, its not just about what is rape and is it illegal its about how a lot of men fundamentally view women and their bodies. It is much deeper than just "this is wrong don't do it"
Maybe I'm ignorant. I just thought that while women don't seem to be taught from youth about their options, how to respond, etc I thought that boys/ men were taught from multiple places/ people that rape is wrong/illegal. In all fairness, maybe that's to broad an assumption. And I'm speaking specifically about the modern U.S for the past 60 years or so.

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
I think the scariest thing about most sexual assault and rape cases is that they are not black and white. Sure, there are cases where you can prove that a person was stalked and forced to have sex. There are also plenty of cases where someone was drugged and had no control over themselves. Those are fairly easy to categorize.

Now comes the "he said, she said" scenarios. Is it fair to say that a female can be too drunk to consent if the male is just as drunk? If she isn't in a mental state that can't make those decision then how can he be held accountable for essentially the same decision? How about the scenario that she didn't want to have sex but he legitimately thought she did but it wasn't communicated well between the two? To her, it was rape, but to him it was consentual. Maybe I am naïve to think that happens a lot. I feel terrible for both sides when it comes to those situations.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Maybe I'm ignorant. I just thought that while women don't seem to be taught from youth about their options, how to respond, etc I thought that boys/ men were taught from multiple places/ people that rape is wrong/illegal. In all fairness, maybe that's to broad an assumption. And I'm speaking specifically about the modern U.S for the past 60 years or so.
I would say that not all are. Very much a cultural thing and also influenced by peers. Many guys (that I know of at least) were taught that no might mean maybe, and to keep pressuring the woman to see if she changes her mind. Maybe its not explicitly said, but strongly implied? Not sure because I was raised differently.
Men are taught to be the pursuers, the agressors. But many aren't taught the fuzzy line not to cross. So maybe they know that rape is bad, they may not realize the nuances of what is ok and what isn't.

I've mentioned before, its worth saying again. Every woman that I know well has been sexually assaulted. Every one of them. From 90 to 14.
Obviously not all men sexually assault people- that would be preposterous. But enough do to make most of us wary of all men, or at least skeptical until we get to know someone.

And to the point of 2 people to drunk to fully consent... that would be the number one reason to not sleep with strangers. Because if you're that out of your mind drunk, you may not be able to articulate what you want and don't, much less understand their boundaries or be safe either.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And to the point of 2 people to drunk to fully consent... that would be the number one reason to not sleep with strangers. Because if you're that out of your mind drunk, you may not be able to articulate what you want and don't, much less understand their boundaries or be safe either.
Amen!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.