Link: Media Drives Focus More On Negative Than Positive

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Finebaum interviews both Coach Saban & Coach McElwain in the video..I love how Coach Mac stood up for the program Coach Saban runs at Bama & that he runs as well at Florida, not all schools are "Win At All Cost" type schools when the right HC's are running them..Alabama & Florida both are programs that doesn't have to cheat to win or attract the top recruits to come play for them..I loved the shot Coach Saban gave Finebaum & was 100% correct..

And the media does focus on the negative all the time, it's what sells in America, the news media like Fox, MSNBC, CNN are all the same in reporting the negativity in the world..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I think the media is responsible for a vast majority of negative things happening in today's time, beside just sports......they incite riots by spinning situations, making them racist, sexist, or homophobic.....They take people's words out of context to incite public demise.......etc....I'll be glad if someday the media is held accountable for the repercussions that come from their actions, and maybe......just maybe, they'll get back to their job of reporting THE FACTS.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The media should suffer much harsher consequences than a "back page apology" for it's mistakes and there should be a lot less hurdles to jump to "prove" they were responsible for things that happened due to their inflammatory reporting.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly..I agree 100% with everything you both posted..The media from the news down to sports, reports & puts a spin on what they report purely for ratings, "Make A Mountain Out Of A Mole Hill" ya could say, it's been that way since we've been born & comes down to $$$$ from their sponsors they get..Higher the rating the more it cost to pay for commercials during certain time slots..

We can't even escape that during college football season, if anything, it's even worse during college football season because of the high ratings college football generates..Could you imagine what sponsors pays to put their products on commercial during the SEC 2:30 time slot on CBS or during the night games on ESPN when the better games are played on Saturday Nights..Even on the SEC or BIG 10 Networks as far as that goes..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Watch the news at your own peril. These companies are no longer giving you the news. They are now in the business of social engineering.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Maybe the government should be more in control of the media like it is in the UK. Maybe, maybe not. I tend to watch mostly BBC news, usually just to get something a little closer to the truth. But, this probably would never work here. Our politicians (all of them) don't seem to have the country's best interests in mind.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Finebaum interviews both Coach Saban & Coach McElwain in the video..I love how Coach Mac stood up for the program Coach Saban runs at Bama & that he runs as well at Florida, not all schools are "Win At All Cost" type schools when the right HC's are running them..Alabama & Florida both are programs that doesn't have to cheat to win or attract the top recruits to come play for them..I loved the shot Coach Saban gave Finebaum & was 100% correct..

And the media does focus on the negative all the time, it's what sells in America, the news media like Fox, MSNBC, CNN are all the same in reporting the negativity in the world..

To be fair - despite my apprehensions about the ideological news that dominates our day - it really cannot be any other way as far as the negativity.

Two million people in Dallas drive home and get there safely. One person flips his car across the median and kills himself and three others.

By definition - what's on the news? As my college buddy who is an esteemed reporter in Jackson, MS once said, "You driving home and getting there safe isn't a story; you driving home and having a wreck that kills someone is page one."

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
Maybe the government should be more in control of the media like it is in the UK. Maybe, maybe not. I tend to watch mostly BBC news, usually just to get something a little closer to the truth. But, this probably would never work here. Our politicians (all of them) don't seem to have the country's best interests in mind.
Um, maybe you should read a little document called the Constitution. I'm pretty sure they devote a whole first amendment on the subject.

Last edited:

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
To be fair - despite my apprehensions about the ideological news that dominates our day - it really cannot be any other way as far as the negativity.

Two million people in Dallas drive home and get there safely. One person flips his car across the median and kills himself and three others.

By definition - what's on the news? As my college buddy who is an esteemed reporter in Jackson, MS once said, "You driving home and getting there safe isn't a story; you driving home and having a wreck that kills someone is page one."
This thread is a boon for headlines for The Onion: "Distracted driver arrives home intact from Dallas Commute!"

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
That was a great video. It's nice to hear those coaches stand firm. I know CNS has the kind of relationship with PF where he can relax a bit more and say his piece. It was a good natured shot at the media as a whole and it was good to hear even Finebaum admit that it's the reality of his profession. Also CNS has come to these SEC Media Days candid as all-get-out.

(Sidenote: I have NEVER liked Florida as a program. Kind of like Tennessee guy says, "I just hate em'" BUT, I really do like Jim McElwain so far. I probably don't agree with every single thing he's done, but I do get the sense that he's trying to do what he thinks is best for the program and the kids - and if that's the case, it's commendable.)

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Maybe the government should be more in control of the media like it is in the UK. Maybe, maybe not. I tend to watch mostly BBC news, usually just to get something a little closer to the truth...
You think the Beeb is unbiased? It isn't. Rule of thumb - what we believe to be unbiased more likely has biases that conform to our own.

What matters isn't lack of media bias, but rather transparency to the reader or viewer about what the biases are. The Wall Street Journal excels at this; most other mainstream media outlets, not so much...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Maybe the government should be more in control of the media like it is in the UK.
I can't believe I am reading this. Someone must not have been paying attention to the civics class, that discussed the Constitution.

Of course, even if you were paying attention, you were probably mislead.

Maybe, maybe not. I tend to watch mostly BBC news, usually just to get something a little closer to the truth.
Dude, if you think the BBc is unbiased, we have vastly different meanings of "the truth". The Beeb is as biased as they come.

But, this probably would never work here. Our politicians (all of them) don't seem to have the country's best interests in mind.
At least we agree on something.

I'll stop before I make a new enemy or get this over to NS.

Peace. Out. Etc.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Um, maybe you should read a little document called the Constitution. I'm pretty sure they devote a whole first amendment on the subject.
Umm maybe I have. The Constitution is a great document. But, it's not a suicide pact. And I'm not saying the amendment on free speech should change but if any of you are complaining about why our news media is the way it is, know that it will never change because of the Constitution. And I can live with that. You get what you get and I wish everyone would quit complaining about something that won't change. If corporations own media, know that they will always be self-serving and not deliver the true news. By the way, I served in the USMC and would do it again. So, do not worry that I am un-American. Just thinking out loud. I'll hang up and listen.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
While it's the off season, keep the discussion related to sports (primarily football) or this will head over to NS....

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Player/team does something good, maybe a 2-5 minute segment on Gameday or never gets mentioned at all.

Player/team does something stupid/bad gets full coverage and the whole show focuses on it plus all the networks cover it and rehash it and a 30 for 30 special. they rehash it in further gameday episodes. every announcer brings it up every time the player is mentioned or someone says something that rhymes with his name.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Thanks for that video link, Tide Man.....that was GREAT! I TOTALLY agree with all you wrote and know most others feel the same way.

Hope you are having a good day, sir.

All the best, Baz

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
In the end, the media peddles what sells. So, in the long run, we as a country watch the football news we want and football we deserve. If people avoided the negativity of the media, then the media would evolve toward more positive stories. But there's a reason the epic Cam payment thread and the Ole Miss investigation threads are as long as they are, and that reason is we gravitate toward exceptional and negative media.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.