Memphis Meats Raises $161 Million In Funding, Aims To Bring Cell-Based Products To Consumers

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This is the future of meat, IMO - once they scale this it will be revolutionary.

(for the record, one of my friends is a primary driver in this, so I'm not without bias - but this is legit, amazing tech)

Memphis Meats has developed production methods that do not require fetal bovine serum (FBS) to grow their cells, and they do not expect to ever sell products made with FBS. This is critical for all cell-base companies, as FBS is expensive, inconsistent in quality, and derived from animals, which largely defeats the purpose behind these mission-driven companies.
Memphis Meats Raises $161 Million In Funding, Aims To Bring Cell-Based Products To Consumers

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Pretty interesting! I had no idea anyone was even doing this, although I've been aware of tissue culture reproduction - or what we call propagation - in the green industry ever since the late 70's.

And also stem cell therapy as a pet owner faced with orthopedic issues in his senior girl.

Looks like this really isn't intended to replace traditional meat production but rather supplement it according to this segment from your linked article:

“The reality is that conventional production methods for meat can't keep up with global demand, which is expected to double by 2050. Cell-based meat addresses this issue while offering enormous potential to improve the environment and have a positive impact on food safety and animal welfare. Memphis Meats is on a mission to serve up real meat without the compromise."

The questions asked I'm sure will be about cost and taste differences.

Really feels like we're moving into the future though.....very cool!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Taste is reported to be identical - it's literally a perfect clone of the meat you'd normally eat.

Cost will eventually fall into line with normal meat, and likely eventually come in even lower.

The best part is that these meats are grown in an abiotic environment, so the worries regarding undercooking meats will be a thing of the past. I've no real interest in pork or chicken tartare, but who knows? :)

Reactions: Bazza and seebell

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
i'm a pretty smart guy but i'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.. i understand how the basics elements of air and meat may be similar but how to we get from one point to the other. i just reread the piece, is this cloning meat?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
i'm a pretty smart guy but i'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.. i understand how the basics elements of air and meat may be similar but how to we get from one point to the other. i just reread the piece, is this cloning meat?
B1G's link is to a different company using a different method.

Memphis Meats is making lab grown meat, DNA clones of actual animals, that will be exactly like what you buy now without some of the negative side-effects some associate with eating meat (cleanliness, ethics). Not only that, but the long term planning has shown that lab-grown meat will have a smaller environmental impact than traditional farming.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This could be a real game-changer, CA
All of these "vat grown" methods of producing protein are pretty amazing. I just wonder if Western countries are going to be willing to give up their meat.

FWIW, the production of meat for human consumption is the most wasteful thing happening on our planet and poses as great a risk to our fresh water supply as global warming poses to our environment.

Reactions: seebell and day-day

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
are these companies saying that it in mass production, the cost per pound would be much lower? if so, that's a big deal.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yah, long term the cost of production and impact on the environment will be lower, along with the cost.
This is being questioned by some scientists. The major environmental contaminant from lab meat will be CO2, with persists in the atmosphere for centuries. Methane, OTOH, the main contaminant from conventional cattle-raising is methane, which only lasts around 12 years. Here is an interesting article on one of the processes being investigated for forming structure. It was originally written for kids...

cotton candy

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is being questioned by some scientists. The major environmental contaminant from lab meat will be CO2, with persists in the atmosphere for centuries. Methane, OTOH, the main contaminant from conventional cattle-raising is methane, which only lasts around 12 years. Here is an interesting article on one of the processes being investigated for forming structure. It was originally written for kids...

cotton candy
The one that I linked actually consumes CO2.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.