Mental health treatment - we have to do better

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Back in the '70's, a friend of mine came over to watch a little NFL Sunday games and have a few brews while doing so.

My friend argued with the refs and the announcers until I became concerned. Under cross examination, he admitted to hearing things from the TV that I wasn't hearing.

Afterwards, I contacted his parents with this news. They scheduled a psych appointment and his evaluation was schizophrenia.

That was long ago. He is fairly OK when he takes his meds, but that does not always happen.

A few years ago, his Mother died and I found out that she had suffered from schizophrenia.

So sad. Lives wasted and destroyed.
Three times, I've been confronted with delusional people, saying things to me that indicated they were living in a different reality. Shakes one up. IDK how shrinks deal with it on a regular basis, particularly when you're the object of the delusion, as was true in two of the cases. In the third, my wife was the object...

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
Three times, I've been confronted with delusional people, saying things to me that indicated they were living in a different reality. Shakes one up. IDK how shrinks deal with it on a regular basis, particularly when you're the object of the delusion, as was true in two of the cases. In the third, my wife was the object...
When reality is questioned, it is disturbing and disfunctional. I also remember years later when he came by to show off his new shotgun. That caught my attention!

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I don't know how counselors cope with all they hear and help a patient unravel. It seem to be very desensitizing which would also seem to limit your effectiveness as a counselor over time.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
posted this in the wrong thread

The man then pulled out a gun and fired one shot toward the guard, wounding him, according to Hampton. Officers responded by fatally shooting the man, he said.

The security guard was taken to a hospital and was stable late Wednesday. Officers recovered the deceased man’s gun, Hampton said.

He was identified by his family as 22-year-old Nygil Cullins, a former employee of Fogo de Chao. His mother, Mya Speller Cullins, told Channel 2 Action News her son struggled with mental health issues and was not in his right state of mind Wednesday. Hours before the shooting, she said she called 911 to try to get him to a hospital.

• Thank You
Reactions: crimsonaudio

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Good mental health is the same as good physical health. Some people may have to spend very little effort to maintain good mental health whereas others will have to work at it like a exercise regimen.

But in today's world we are apparently missing opportunities as youth to learn the skills necessary to resolve conflict, understand our value as a person, teammate, and friend, etc. You simply won't learn these skills on social media or the internet.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Since March 2020 we’ve had three suicides in our small school (2A). Couple this with other issues, our congregation decided to have some type of resource for our community. This Saturday we’re hosting a Emotional and Mental Wellness Seminar. All of the speakers are licensed counselors in their respective fields. Some of the sessions will be live streamed and will be archived on our YouTube channel. We’re excited about this event and hope it does much good. The topics are weighty and each session is only 50 min so it’s not comprehesive but it is a start and will hopefully provide resources for those who are dealing with mental health problems.
This event was awesome. We had about 150 in attendance. Learned so much. Had several breakout classes covering weighty subjects. I’ve not uploaded those yet. One of our speakers is from Huntsville. He’s begun training officers how to respond to crisis situations. He’s also serves as the chaplain for the SWAT unit in Huntsville. He also trains them in hostage negotiation. He’s in private practice in Huntsville. He was our keynote. Here’s a link to our YouTube channel. *This was not a religious event but know these licensed practicing counselors come from a Christian worldview.*

Ignore the guy at the beginning introducing the speakers ;)

ETA-I apologize for the feedback at the beginning and in between sessions. Gotta get that fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: MobtownK and 92tide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This event was awesome. We had about 150 in attendance. Learned so much. Had several breakout classes covering weighty subjects. I’ve not uploaded those yet. One of our speakers is from Huntsville. He’s begun training officers how to respond to crisis situations. He’s also serves as the chaplain for the SWAT unit in Huntsville. He also trains them in hostage negotiation. He’s in private practice in Huntsville. He was our keynote. Here’s a link to our YouTube channel. *This was not a religious event but know these licensed practicing counselors come from a Christian worldview.*

Ignore the guy at the beginning introducing the speakers ;)
Obviously, Huntsville needs some help after the recent assassination by the young police officer of a depressed man with a gun to his head. A shotgun blast to the face is hardly the way to prevent a suicide...

Reactions: crimsonaudio

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Obviously, Huntsville needs some help after the recent assassination by the young police officer of a depressed man with a gun to his head. A shotgun blast to the face is hardly the way to prevent a suicide...
He talked a little bit about his new work with HSV PD today. Program is just starting not sure how long he’s been working with them.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and TIDE-HSV

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A number of years ago I had a co-worker who had mental health issues. She would imagine seeing things that weren’t there. I don’t think she was the type to become violent but she clearly was unstable.

We were on an out of town trip for work when she disappeared. She checked into her hotel on Sunday night and didn’t show up for work the next morning. Her bed was still made and her purse, phone, and car keys were in the room. This was 2008 and hasn’t been seen since.

I just googled her and she is still listed as missing. It is my understanding her husband later took his own life.

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
As a former school administrator, I was (and remain) astounded at the gaping abyss in our health care system in the area of mental health. We as a country can and must do better. I long for the day when mental health care becomes as routine as a twice a year dental check-up.
Simple twice a year check-in's starting in Kindergarten and going through grade12. Not overly prying...just a quick interview. A big majority of the kids would probably present as fine with no red flags. But, over the course of their school careers, a significant number would probably benefit from a bit of support to handle life's bumps. Perhaps this type of support could encourage kids away from crutches such as drugs/risky behavior. Perhaps abuse cases would come to light earlier. And last but not least, the system would have a chance to identify students with more severe issues and hopefully, get that young person some help.
But it would be expensive. And Lord knows we can't be raising taxes to pay for this. (I don't have the words that the site would allow describe my feelings on this)
.... and while I'm at it. It's not just a mental health thing.
More SRO's on campus-check
Background checks-check
Raising age for assault style weapons-check

Arming teachers??? Put in on the table and talk about it.... but I can't see that playing out in reality in any way other than this. Shooter walks into classroom (kicks door in or shoots door lock and enters).... He takes teacher out first and does what he came to do. A teacher would have to have a sidearm on her person to have a prayer and would have to shoot first and ask questions later. Not sure you want that type of personality teaching children. Should it be legal for a teacher to have a weapon on campus? Hell, consider it if you're looking for solutions ...but to have a weapon as handy as it would have to be risks creating another obvious safety problem.
Bottom line, if a shooter with an assault style weapon gets into a classroom, literally dozens will likely be victimized before anyone can stop him, even with an SRO on site.
We've got to keep those types of weapons out of the wrong hands... Even if it means putting some limits on our "God-given" rights. Somehow I got the sense that God wanted to throw up when I wrote that.

Perhaps we could at least summon the guts to make purchasing one less convenient.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I have some questions for those who believe mental health is the problem.

IF (and it's a big if in some cases) mental health is the real problem then what are we going to do about it?

Why haven't we already done it since it's been the mantra for years?

Why have the politicians you have voted for opposed efforts to improve mental health access?

Why don't you vote for someone else who will take the issue seriously?

We have all the excuses for why we can't do anything and so nothing gets done. Will we ever stop making excuses and vote in people who will actually do something to help?

Or will we keep doing the same thing and expect a different result?

Not directed at anyone specific - just general questions.

But seriously, why aren't we demanding more of the people we elect or booting them out of office?

And can we agree that even though mental health has obvious importance, it is not the ONLY thing of importance we can address?

But if we can't even address the thing you feel is most important - why not? Why can't we even get that done since we pretty much ALL agree on that?

And we we maybe admit that there are other issues to also address?

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
I have some questions for those who believe mental health is the problem.

IF (and it's a big if in some cases) mental health is the real problem then what are we going to do about it?

Why haven't we already done it since it's been the mantra for years?

Why have the politicians you have voted for opposed efforts to improve mental health access?

Why don't you vote for someone else who will take the issue seriously?

We have all the excuses for why we can't do anything and so nothing gets done. Will we ever stop making excuses and vote in people who will actually do something to help?

Or will we keep doing the same thing and expect a different result?

Not directed at anyone specific - just general questions.

But seriously, why aren't we demanding more of the people we elect or booting them out of office?

And can we agree that even though mental health has obvious importance, it is not the ONLY thing of importance we can address?

But if we can't even address the thing you feel is most important - why not? Why can't we even get that done since we pretty much ALL agree on that?

And we we maybe admit that there are other issues to also address?
Yes and yes. It's a problem, but not the only problem. It's not addressed because it's expensive... and taxes are gonna have to go up to make those services available to those who most need it. Either raise taxes or cut spending... and so much of our spending goes to entitlements (which are popular) and to military (which is also popular). Those who espouse either approach have a hard time winning elections.
...and agreed... The ease of getting access to high powered weapons is a problem, the breakdown of the family is a problem, the media that feeds our anger is a problem...
My generation is handing the next generation a LOT to fix...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.