JessN: Michigan preview: Bama’s ranks are too thinned to take Wolverines lightly

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
You add in the start v. UGA then we've really only had one fast start in 5 big games - OU first quarter and a half - and haven't played a complete 60 minutes in any of them. 2018 LSU is the last complete game "big game" we've played.
Agreed... left out UGA because it wasn’t totally awful but it was certainly a sign of things to come

idk what the issue is but we lost that big game mojo a while back

hope we can restablish it and Michigan would be a good starting point

bottom line is that no major teams fear us any longer and with good reason

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When we return to the run game and defense as the centerpiece of the team then we will regain our big game toughness factor. We can’t impose our will on teams and it has hurt us in several big games. Just straight up didn’t trust our run game in some short yardage situations v. Clemson and Auburn. Led to some big stops for our opponent that sealed the loss. Last two years we haven’t trusted our short yardage running at all and have used wildcat gadgets to get it done.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
No team worth a spit ever fears another team - ever. Never have - never will. But if you guys don't think that other teams respect the hell out of Alabama, you are delusional.
tell that to Notre Dame, who were about to soil their pants halfway through the first quarter against us in the 2012 NC game and their coach who threw in the towel in the halftime interview.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
tell that to Notre Dame, who were about to soil their pants halfway through the first quarter against us in the 2012 NC game and their coach who threw in the towel in the halftime interview.
They knew that they were going to lose before halftime, but they were not afraid. I know because I know several of their coaches from that team, including the guy who gave that interview.

If you want Alabama to go back to that kind of football, you can dream. That kind of football does not win championships anymore.

• Thank You
Reactions: Jay Hughes

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Interesting convo actually. I was watching the history of the SEC documentary and they played a clip from CNS' intro press conference and he noted that he wanted to make this into a program where Alabama was a team that other teams hated playing. I would like to see us get back to that. I think we can get back to that, but it will take the right mix of staff and the players buying into that mindset as well.

We keep an dynamic offense, and focus on developing a dynamic defense that makes it harder for teams to score as well as is efficient in producing turnovers. But the mindset is key.

Back on topic tho, I'm hoping again that we destroy Michigan ... just purely destroy them.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
They knew that they were going to lose before halftime, but they were not afraid. I know because I know several of their coaches from that team, including the guy who gave that interview.

If you want Alabama to go back to that kind of football, you can dream. That kind of football does not win championships anymore.
you're being so literal that you think i'm saying that teams are actually in fear...like they're going to die or something?

and i don't know what you're driving at with your "that kind of football" comment.

we got blown off the field by a Clemson team that doesn't play that kind of football anymore either.

so, it doesn't take a 2012 Alabama style team to blow anyone off the field or be a dominating presence that makes other teams think twice about having to play you.

your know it all attitude can really get exhausting.

Reactions: trenda

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
In defense of the so-called eeyores, this is a serious football board, not a rah-rah echo chamber. Jess’ analyses — his objective analyses — set the tone. Folks who have been here a while have more than earned the right to express their true opinions. That doesn’t mean they aren’t pulling for their team.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In defense of the so-called eeyores, this is a serious football board, not a rah-rah echo chamber. Jess’ analyses — his objective analyses — set the tone. Folks who have been here a while have more than earned the right to express their true opinions. That doesn’t mean they aren’t pulling for their team.
Agreed, but folks also have a right to respond to those negative posts. Give and take.

I didn't say that he wasn't pulling for Alabama, but it is wearing to read so many Alabama fans so down on this program. Not this specific team - the entire program. I think that many really believe that the dynasty is over and they are going through the grieving process. I wonder how many members this board will have left after Saban retires.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I’m not rah-rah about our prospects on defense but I still think we can win with a clean day on offense. Defense hasn’t been good in our big games but we’re two clean, turnover-less day on offense from playing in the Peach Bowl tomorrow. Our offense just needs to be able to score a bunch against a quality opponent without the turnovers. I’m looking for that on NYD. Hoping to see it.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I’m not rah-rah about our prospects on defense but I still think we can win with a clean day on offense. Defense hasn’t been good in our big games but we’re two clean, turnover-less day on offense from playing in the Peach Bowl tomorrow. Our offense just needs to be able to score a bunch against a quality opponent without the turnovers. I’m looking for that on NYD. Hoping to see it.
Again ... I hope we destroy them

Reactions: Jay Hughes and rgw

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Agreed, but folks also have a right to respond to those negative posts. Give and take.

I didn't say that he wasn't pulling for Alabama, but it is wearing to read so many Alabama fans so down on this program. Not this specific team - the entire program. I think that many really believe that the dynasty is over and they are going through the grieving process. I wonder how many members this board will have left after Saban retires.
I was on this board long before Saban became coach, and - unless the Lord decides to take me - I'll be here after he's retired. There are many, many in that same boat. There are always going to be pessimistic folks and always going to be optimistic folks. It's what's made this board so good since the late 90s (before many on this thread were even coming to this site).

No one can say right now if the dynasty is over or not. This will be two consecutive years of not winning the NC and now we're not even in the playoffs (sounds ridiculous; but it's the standard that the program has set). IF - big IF - we were to not make the playoffs again next year, it would be a good argument to claim that the loss to Clemson ended the dynasty; although I think it would still be a bit premature.

Personally, I think we have a little gas left in the dynasty tank. But we definitely have some work to do to maintain that level of play and success.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Well said Trenda. It is entirely too early to make a statement either way, but I believe any Alabama fan not seeing a decline in the program over the past 2-3 seasons is in crimson denial.
This season was really colored by the injuries. It’s impossible to know where this team winds up without an almost unprecedented run of injuries on the defense and to the best QB in the programs history. I think a healthy Tua and just the two LB’s would have been enough to get to Atlanta unscathed. Maybe I’m just looking through crimson colored glasses, but that’s how I feel.

Next year will be a better barometer of where the program truly is. Especially if Bama
Gets a few of the juniors to come back. I don’t think people understand yet what Young could be for this program over the next several years. The recruiting is still great and the coaching staff has settled down. I’m really happy with the offensive staff. Next season will tell us if we have DC or if we need to go in another direction. CNS has turned the ship before to stay on top. Let’s see if he does it again.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
It'll be very tough to score 41 on them as their defense will probably clamp down after being humiliated by Ohio State. I'm very interested to see what Mac Jones does, as a good game by him makes him a solid favorite to start at QB next season (assuming Tua leaves) while a shaky performance perhaps makes Bryce Young the favorite.

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
It'll be very tough to score 41 on them as their defense will probably clamp down after being humiliated by Ohio State. I'm very interested to see what Mac Jones does, as a good game by him makes him a solid favorite to start at QB next season (assuming Tua leaves) while a shaky performance perhaps makes Bryce Young the favorite.
A demoralized and depleted defense won’t close the seam that OSU opened for Bama to waltz through. I’m counting on the Tide to K.O. them all the way through to 2030.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.