Mike Dubose elevated to HC'ing position

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Ive always felt that the 1997 Auburn game was more of who Dubose was than the 1999 SECCG. People love to talk about the victory in the swamp in 1999, but often forget some very important details. Maybe I have alwats@selmaborntidefan or someone can remember the EXACT details but the game was a shoot out and neither side could stop each other but we late in the game faced a 4th and short with very little time remaining with no timeouts. Well Dubose decides to punt. Unless he could see into the future then that has to be the dumbest decision in college football history. Everyone talks about Auburn luck but good lord what are the chances of predicting a muffed punt in that situation.

My point is that and the LA Tech game that year really makes the Arians situation in 1997 look more badly on Dubose. It makes it seem that it was a coach that was way in over his head, and was lucky to win every SEC game that he did.

As for the Albert Means thing, I know people that knew Logan Young and knew several staffers that said they weren’t surprised that we were caught. Just that an effort in doing so was done by Tennessee. They said Dubose was warned to stay out of Memphis and to break contact with several boosters. But he ultimately didn’t care enough to do so.
I have always thought that Stabler may have had input on the Florida game during the season, because of his detailed comments to Eli prior to the game. He sounded as though he had prepared a game plan himself as to use of backs, TEs, and things I have forgotten. The game unfolded exactly as he described it would need to for a Bama win. He was the ONLY guy behind a microphone anywhere who said "We got a shot". He probably had seen the gameplan, but I have always thought that he may have had some degree of input as well. He would never had said so if that had been true. He talked about Zow taking shots downfield..and so it was.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I have always thought that Stabler may have had input on the Florida game during the season, because of his detailed comments to Eli prior to the game. He sounded as though he had prepared a game plan himself as to use of backs, TEs, and things I have forgotten. The game unfolded exactly as he described it would need to for a Bama win. He was the ONLY guy behind a microphone anywhere who said "We got a shot". He probably had seen the gameplan, but I have always thought that he may have had some degree of input as well. He would never had said so if that had been true. He talked about Zow taking shots downfield..and so it was.

• Thank You
Reactions: Tenntiderman

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
What a game. I worked with a bunch of Vols in the office. On Friday I was asked several times about how many TDs we would lose by. Truth was..I thought we would lose the game..but also thought we could win the game. Any Bama fan is of that mindset. I knew we had Special Teams handicaps. But they were giving me evil grins on Friday. Monday morning..that coffee sure was good😁😃🎸

Reactions: CoachInWaiting

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Had a chance several years ago to talk to Coach Dubose at Books-A-Million in Dothan. Not a bad guy at all, but just completely not ready to be the head coach at Alabama, which he admitted.

Reactions: UAH

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What a game. I worked with a bunch of Vols in the office. On Friday I was asked several times about how many TDs we would lose by. Truth was..I thought we would lose the game..but also thought we could win the game. Any Bama fan is of that mindset. I knew we had Special Teams handicaps. But they were giving me evil grins on Friday. Monday morning..that coffee sure was good😁😃🎸
If you recall, there was a rumor already afoot that DuBose was going to be canned after we lost the Florida game because if you'll remember, we had an off week following that game so that was going to be when an interim took over for the rest of the season.

You can't exactly can a guy after he's just ended Florida's five-year home winning streak.

I'm sure Mike DuBose as others have said was a nice guy. But nice guys can spend years doing the wrong job, too.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I always blame the Dubose era as the reason my son became an Barn fan and a Barn graduate (he was born in 1991). I took him to far too many games where the game turned into a debacle. The 1997 season with consecutive loses to La Tech, LSU, and MSU all at home was an embarrassment. We were there for them all. The Shula era just cemented things.

I’m lucky I didn’t get reported to child protective services for child abuse.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I always blame the Dubose era as the reason my son became an Barn fan and a Barn graduate (he was born in 1991). I took him to far too many games where the game turned into a debacle. The 1997 season with consecutive loses to La Tech, LSU, and MSU all at home was an embarrassment. We were there for them all. The Shula era just cemented things.

I’m lucky I didn’t get reported to child protective services for child abuse.
😃Well..Auburn as a school is a great school. I know the Engineering side of it is. I have never been an Auburn fan..for good reason in my upbringing. But as a school, I think it is a sensible choice. Mostly depends on what a person chooses to focus on. Too bad that people like Mr Colonial Bank have been so influential there.

Reactions: dtgreg

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
If you recall, there was a rumor already afoot that DuBose was going to be canned after we lost the Florida game because if you'll remember, we had an off week following that game so that was going to be when an interim took over for the rest of the season.

You can't exactly can a guy after he's just ended Florida's five-year home winning streak.

I'm sure Mike DuBose as others have said was a nice guy. But nice guys can spend years doing the wrong job, too.
I worked out of state during those years. Didnt have access to Bama news or rumors other than the net. But yeah I did know that the program was taking on water. I never heard the infidelity rumors until it was no longer rumor. So I didn't know a lot about anything. My projects demanded most of my time...but I knew things werent so well. And I agree about nice guys
Who may be in the wrong profession 😃

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Anyone who can recall watching the team in warm-ups between 1997 and 1999 can probably agree that it was easy to sense a dropoff in quality of effort from what we had all been accustomed to. Just a sense that players didnt always feel ready to go. Same sometimes when Shula arrived. In '98....I attended a couple of games. I noticed that players on the sidelines didnt seem to be paying a lot of attention to the game. And that I was certain of. Certain players were..and others were not. Mixed bag of enthusiasts and nonenthusiasts. Always a little of that, but I had always seen Bama players watching the games and supporting teammates.
The shenanigans that went on during games on the sidelines came to an abrupt stop when Saban arrived. The whole attitude had changed. After a few bad seeds were weeded out, the entire college football world changed.

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
Under Shula, Jimmy Johns used to eat KFC out of a box during halftime. Story told by more than one trainer & manager during that era. Shula had zero control over the team. He was an Alabama version of Gene Chizik.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I don't know who had less control over their teams. Dubose or Shula. As much as I despised Fran for his cut and run, at least the players didn't look like they were off in la la land during games like they did under Dubose and Shula. Fran's unforgiveable sin was that he had already quit on the team prior to the 2002 Iron Bowl. We had just moved our homes games in the IB to T Town and, at that point in time, (embarrassingly), we had still had not beaten the cow college on our own campus. Debilitating probation was about to REALLY come down, so that was our last chance to beat them for a long time, and Fran doesn't even prep the team. Now, of course, that was a few lifetimes ago and things have changed dramatically. The barn hasn't won in T Town in over a decade now and in fact, we have beaten them by a minimum of two scores in all of our wins over them there. But, I'll never forgive Fran for that. Dubose and Shula were in over their heads. They had ZERO prior experience as HCs and it showed from the very start. But Fran had been a HC prior to coming to Bama. He should have known better.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Under Shula, Jimmy Johns used to eat KFC out of a box during halftime. Story told by more than one trainer & manager during that era. Shula had zero control over the team. He was an Alabama version of Gene Chizik.
You could see that in 2007 with the Shula players fighting with Saban. It really wasn’t until 2008 that our players actually bought in. Shula allowed a culture of me first players to thrive in the locker room.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.