Game Thread: Missouri at Auburn (9/24 @ 11a | ESPN)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Mizzou RB had a 1st down run all the way nearly to the goal line. Gets to about the 3 yard line and AU dbs are closing in. He gets the bright idea to reach the ball out. BEFORE the AU Db makes contact, he just... drops the ball. Literally it just slipped out of his grip. Bounces into the end zone and AU recovers.

All he had to do was just control the ball. Get tackled or not, it's 1st and goal or a TD. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Honestly the worst damn outcome lol. At least if we'd, I dunno, jarred the ball loose or hooked it out you have a "we never quit fighting."

Now I just feel bad for the poor kid lol.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
What an infuriating way for a game to end. Missouri did everything they could to lose this game. The dumb decision to take a knee at the one yard line with under a minute to play. The offside penalty in OT when Auburn missed the FG. And finally, the creme de la creme, the Missouri RB has the TD if he just holds onto the ball, but he has to try to reach the ball across the goal line. Good grief.
Taking the knee at the 1 was a beta move by Eli.

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
I did not watch because I was blessed to have my grandchildren with me, but this game sounds a bit like the 3 to 2 game that the barn played against MSU 14 or so years ago. A little more scoring but still complete ineptitude by both teams in all 3 phases of the game. The keystone cops versus the 3 stooges.

Reactions: Bama75&80

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I’m curious if there’s ever been a game where both coaches are fired the next week…
Let me think on CFB.

In 1964, the Cardinals beat the Yankees in a seven-game World Series. The Yankees then fired Yogi Berra and - wait for it - hired the Cardinals’ manager (Johnny Keane) who was about to get fired and then (because he won) was going to be retained.

• Wow
Reactions: TideEngineer08

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I’m curious if there’s ever been a game where both coaches are fired the next week…
Florida fired Doug Dickey and Lou Saban either quit or was going to be fired in 1978 (they ended the season with each other). In both cases, however, it was known going into the game it was their last there. (Dickey had been told and Saban had made an ignorant comment that greased the skids for him months earlier).

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
Florida fired Doug Dickey and Lou Saban either quit or was going to be fired in 1978 (they ended the season with each other). In both cases, however, it was known going into the game it was their last there. (Dickey had been told and Saban had made an ignorant comment that greased the skids for him months earlier).
Good Ole "Two-Year Lou".. 😂

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I did not watch because I was blessed to have my grandchildren with me, but this game sounds a bit like the 3 to 2 game that the barn played against MSU 14 or so years ago. A little more scoring but still complete ineptitude by both teams in all 3 phases of the game. The keystone cops versus the 3 stooges.
Our defensive front had a good day, especially Derrick Hall. Other than that pretty meh.

I'm happy for Ashford winning his first start. When he thought he'd thrown that pick in OT he was heartbroken.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Man I’m just here making fun of both teams, and you had to humanize them…

1664112673556.gif

BigPoppa52

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2020
I confess to not having read this whole thread because, frankly, I really didn't care about this game. So if what I say now has already been mentioned, feel free to delete.
Missouri has 1st and goal from the two and plenty of time on the clock. Do they actually try to score a touchdown and put the game away? Why Noooooo. Instead they set up a field goal which they promptly missed. This egregious coaching decision in itself, IMHO, was enough to get Drinkwitz fired on the spot. Have some guts and trust in your team why doncha? They deserved to lose.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Jordan-Hare Voodoo is alive:

— Just before the half, Carlson misses a FG wide left.
— But wait….Mizzou is offside.
— Not to worry, Carlson misses the re-try wide right.
— At the end of regulation, Mizzou has first and goal inside the three, and the barn DL is gassed. barn has no time-outs.
— Rather than run a QB sneak or a run up the gut to maybe score a TD, but in any event run clock, Mizzou is too clever by half — they kneel twice, call time out with 2 seconds to go, and attempt a game-winning FG about the length of an extra point.
— Kicker misses the FG as time expires. We go to Overtime.
— the barn gets the ball first. Does nothing in 3 downs, and has to attempt a FG.
— Carlson hits a duck-hook FG that looks like one of my golf tee shots back when I played golf.
— Not to worry v2 — Mizzou is offside again.
— Carlson drills the retry. For those keeping score, he’s now 1 for 4 on FG attempts just before the half and in overtime. barn leads by 3.
— On the second play of Mizzou’s ensuing possession, they gash the barn defense down the left sideline. RB has at worst 1st and goal at the 1 or 2.
— Turns out, 1st and goal at the 1 or 2 isn’t in fact the worst case.
— The worst case is when the RB stretches out his arm trying to break the plane of the goal line. Without being touched by anybody, he loses control of the ball before it breaks the plane.
— The ball rolls into the end zone, the barn falls on it. Touchback. Game over. the barn wins.

If it were in a movie, nobody would believe it.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Jordan-Hare Voodoo is alive:

— Just before the half, Carlson misses a FG wide left.
— But wait….Mizzou is offside.
— Not to worry, Carlson misses the re-try wide right.
— At the end of regulation, Mizzou has first and goal inside the three, and the barn DL is gassed. barn has no time-outs.
— Rather than run a QB sneak or a run up the gut to maybe score a TD, but in any event run clock, Mizzou is too clever by half — they kneel twice, call time out with 2 seconds to go, and attempt a game-winning FG about the length of an extra point.
— Kicker misses the FG as time expires. We go to Overtime.
— the barn gets the ball first. Does nothing in 3 downs, and has to attempt a FG.
— Carlson hits a duck-hook FG that looks like one of my golf tee shots back when I played golf.
— Not to worry v2 — Mizzou is offside again.
— Carlson drills the retry. For those keeping score, he’s now 1 for 4 on FG attempts just before the half and in overtime. barn leads by 3.
— On the second play of Mizzou’s ensuing possession, they gash the barn defense down the left sideline. RB has at worst 1st and goal at the 1 or 2.
— Turns out, 1st and goal at the 1 or 2 isn’t in fact the worst case.
— The worst case is when the RB stretches out his arm trying to break the plane of the goal line. Without being touched by anybody, he loses control of the ball before it breaks the plane.
— The ball rolls into the end zone, the barn falls on it. Touchback. Game over. the barn wins.

If it were in a movie, nobody would believe it.
Indian burial ground. Has to be. Investigation needs to be done and the place needs to be razed, the grounds need to be properly restored and preserved and a new stadium built. Miles away. Across the state line.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I confess to not having read this whole thread because, frankly, I really didn't care about this game. So if what I say now has already been mentioned, feel free to delete.
Missouri has 1st and goal from the two and plenty of time on the clock. Do they actually try to score a touchdown and put the game away? Why Noooooo. Instead they set up a field goal which they promptly missed. This egregious coaching decision in itself, IMHO, was enough to get Drinkwitz fired on the spot. Have some guts and trust in your team why doncha? They deserved to lose.
Neither team deserved to lose! - but for the Allburnt BOT’s purposes, the wrong team unequivocally lost. If the wrong team loses 5-6 more, they in a whole heap o’ cowpatty coaching quagmire down there. Of course they gotta be relieved to know they won’t go up against any more Drinkonitwitzes this season, too.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Drink trusted his kicker to make an extra point. Oh the humanity.

Drink made the right call there. It didn't work out but that's not on him. Mizzou should have won.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Drink trusted his kicker to make an extra point. Oh the humanity.

Drink made the right call there. It didn't work out but that's not on him. Mizzou should have won.
Agreed. The kicker didn't take any practice kicks on the sidelines, he went out cold and missed what should have been an easy kick.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Agreed. The kicker didn't take any practice kicks on the sidelines, he went out cold and missed what should have been an easy kick.
In all fairness to the Mizzou kicker, Harrison Mevis (aka “the thicker kicker”), he had a toasted Jersey Mike’s foot long sub sammich on the bench getting cold. We all know “nutrition > kickin’”.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.