MLB playoffs

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Start Friday with a 4 game day. Right off the bat you are going to see the need to end these series early because there is no rest for the wicked since Tuesday begins the DS series. I changed some picks

Out of the WC matchups… I would rank them in terms of interest as so…

1) St Louis vs Philadelphia. St. Louis has been a feel good story of a bunch of legendary Cardinals having one last hurrah. Philly finally broke their playoff drought due to the expanded playoffs. Phillies have one the most dangerous rotation in the WC round. While I’m a begrudged Cards fan I feel the end of an era is coming soon. Phils in 3

2) Toronto vs Seattle- A trendy World Series pick vs an out of nowhere team. I really don’t have a preference in this series, just that it goes to 3 games and is fun. But I’m picking the home team. Jays in 2

3) New York Mets vs San Diego- on paper it looks good, and on paper it looks very good for San Diego. However, ever since they got Soto the Friars have yet to live up to their potential. While it’s easy to say “well New York may not have anything in the tank after the Atlanta series” I think the Mets are a totally different team at home. New York will be a mad house and I think the chickens are coming home to roost on San Diego. Mets in 2

4) Cleveland vs Tampa- Probably the one with the least amount of interest because of who the teams are. But it probably has potential to be better than advertised. Cleveland has came out of nowhere to claim a division everyone picked them to finish 4th in and Tampa just lost #2 place to the jays. I say go with the hotter team and home team. Cleveland in 3

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I realized later that I omitted my WC picks yesterday though they would have obviously shown up in my DS rounds.

1) Cards vs Philly - This could go either way probably but I feel like the Cards might be the most dangerous WC Round team right now. When they get hot they are REALLY HOT and Pujols has been on another level during this Farewell tour. Cards 2-1

2) Mets vs SD - I wish the Padres could pull this off just for the laughs but then again that would give the Dodgers an almost bye in the DS. I think the Mets are just better though. Mets 2-0

3) Toronto vs Seattle - This is another one that could go either way and I'm honestly just picking the Mariners because of Julio Rodriguez. Mariners 2-1

4) Cleveland vs Tampa - These two are trending in opposite directions. Cleveland has been playing well and is a good team and Tampa is 2-8 in their last 10 games. Give me the Guardians 2-0

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Cardinals in 3
Mets in 2
Toronto in 2
Cleveland in 3

I don't have a lot of analysis for support. I think the Cards and Mets are the two best teams in the NL behind the Dodgers and Braves.

I really don't know squat about the AL, but did get to see Toronto play a few times so I picked them.

I really don't like Cleveland's new name, the Guardians. What the heck were they thinking?

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Y'all picked what you think is going to happen but I'm going to pick what I want to happen:

Mets in 2
Guarding somethings in 3
Rays in 3 (Got to pull for the Biscuits affiliate)

Now the hard one... Phils and Cards always seem to play the Braves tough. Braves are 4-3 vs the Cards this year, 11-8 vs the Phils. Just because of familarity I guess I want the Phils in 3.

I want the Stros and Yanks to lose but that probably won't happen.

I want the Mets to beat the Dodgers just so the Braves can deny them the WS!

I'd love a Braves vs Rays WS but, that stadium in St. Pete is ugly and no-one wants to see that on TV. So, my next dream is a '95 rematch, Braves vs guar-"In"-dians. Braves repeat in 5.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Y'all picked what you think is going to happen but I'm going to pick what I want to happen:

Mets in 2
Guarding somethings in 3
Rays in 3 (Got to pull for the Biscuits affiliate)

Now the hard one... Phils and Cards always seem to play the Braves tough. Braves are 4-3 vs the Cards this year, 11-8 vs the Phils. Just because of familarity I guess I want the Phils in 3.

I want the Stros and Yanks to lose but that probably won't happen.

I want the Mets to beat the Dodgers just so the Braves can deny them the WS!

I'd love a Braves vs Rays WS but, that stadium in St. Pete is ugly and no-one wants to see that on TV. So, my next dream is a '95 rematch, Braves vs guar-"In"-dians. Braves repeat in 5.
Yeah I would say if the Braves cannot win it, I would rather Cleveland win it over anyone else in the field. Just because of how long it has been for them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
WHAT WILL BE
Cards
Mets
Blue Jays
Guardians

WHAT I WANT
Cards
Padres
Mariners
Don't really care

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As @selmaborntidefan has stressed so much… the expanded playoff will reward mediocrity. The Rays and Phillies should not be here. I however think they are different issues. The Rays vs Guardians basically takes the place of a Plus 1 wildcard team. Whereas the Phillies are a potential bracket buster. I could realistically see the Phillies winning the World Series with their path because we have no idea what Cardinals team we are getting this weekend and the Braves have some issue with playing @ Philadelphia so really anything could happen.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As @selmaborntidefan has stressed so much… the expanded playoff will reward mediocrity. The Rays and Phillies should not be here. I however think they are different issues. The Rays vs Guardians basically takes the place of a Plus 1 wildcard team. Whereas the Phillies are a potential bracket buster. I could realistically see the Phillies winning the World Series with their path because we have no idea what Cardinals team we are getting this weekend and the Braves have some issue with playing @ Philadelphia so really anything could happen.
Baseball saw the NFL sending 9-7 teams to the playoffs and decided, "You know, that would give us success, too, might even turn us into the NFL!"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I hope both the Guardians and Cards win 2-0 and then lose 3-0 in the DS to have people complain about the 7th team.
The argument that brought all this up in the first place was (mostly) George Steinbrenner complaining about his team winning more games than the Western Division champion.

1979 - Yankees finished fourth with 89 wins, Angels won West with 88
1982 - Angels would have finished third in the AL East
1983 - White Sox actually had most wins in MLB (99)....because the other six teams were under .500
1984 - Yankees finished third with 87 wins, Royals won West with 84
1985 - Yankees finished second with 97 wins, Royals won World Series with 91
1987 - Yankees finished fourth with 89 wins, Twins won World Series with 85

Of course, starting in 1988, the AL West began winning more games. A LOT MORE.

1988 - Oakland, 104 (most in MLB)
1989 - Oakland, 99 (most in MLB)
1990 - Oakland, 103 (most in MLB)
1991 - Minnesota, 95 (2nd most in MLB)

Of course, the other owners could have cared less about the Big Stein whine. After all, the other AL East teams were suffering, too - and you simply can't do it that way.

They basically added the first extra round of playoffs (1994) to help make up the financial shortfall they caused by colluding against the players. They added the play-in game as a way to give Boston/New York/LA a third chance at the post-season in 2012.

Reminder: had it not been for the 1994 strike, the Texas Rangers might well have made the playoffs with a losing record. And they'd won 2 of 5 from the Yankees.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The argument that brought all this up in the first place was (mostly) George Steinbrenner complaining about his team winning more games than the Western Division champion.

1979 - Yankees finished fourth with 89 wins, Angels won West with 88
1982 - Angels would have finished third in the AL East
1983 - White Sox actually had most wins in MLB (99)....because the other six teams were under .500
1984 - Yankees finished third with 87 wins, Royals won West with 84
1985 - Yankees finished second with 97 wins, Royals won World Series with 91
1987 - Yankees finished fourth with 89 wins, Twins won World Series with 85

Of course, starting in 1988, the AL West began winning more games. A LOT MORE.

1988 - Oakland, 104 (most in MLB)
1989 - Oakland, 99 (most in MLB)
1990 - Oakland, 103 (most in MLB)
1991 - Minnesota, 95 (2nd most in MLB)

Of course, the other owners could have cared less about the Big Stein whine. After all, the other AL East teams were suffering, too - and you simply can't do it that way.

They basically added the first extra round of playoffs (1994) to help make up the financial shortfall they caused by colluding against the players. They added the play-in game as a way to give Boston/New York/LA a third chance at the post-season in 2012.

Reminder: had it not been for the 1994 strike, the Texas Rangers might well have made the playoffs with a losing record. And they'd won 2 of 5 from the Yankees.
The 2022 expansion was done for two reasons

1) get Philly and LAA in the playoffs
2) prevent another Atlanta huge trade deadline

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.